effect of rock music
Quote:We have read somewhere that one made experiments with cows in stables. When Vivaldi was played they would delivere more milk. When Rock was played, they would hold their milk. We were also informed that Rock’n’Roll used to make sharks fuming inside their great aquariums, while classical music would make them at ease. The same thing was observed with crazy people. A priest told us that when someone played Rock and Roll to the African savages, they would ask them why they were summoning the evil spirits.

http://www.upholdingtradition.com/modern...s/rock.htm
"Rock On" ....seriously buddy, lighten up
I have been a "metal head" for more than 15 years and I have never done any of the things that are usually said it leads people to.

[Image: rockonsmiley.gif]

Good thing we're not cows.
That's very interesting. I've read of similar experiments done with lab rats, with of course analogous results.

Also, a while back there was a Japanese scientists doing experiments with water molecules - exposing water to different types of music would cause them to form different patterns. However, rock music, as I recall, tended to create distorted or chaotic images.

That said, I still like certain types of rock. But I also listen to alot of classical, baroque, and I of course eschew modern pop music and other junk.......[Image: smile.gif]

In fact, I'm listening to this right now:
(The Black Mages, if anyone's interested - contains a nice pipe organ cadenza at 3:42)

It seems clear to me that most popular music is inimical to the Catholic Faith.

It would be better if we catholics just stopped listening to rock, metal, rap, hip-hop and other modern genres of music. It's not just the profanity, the immorality and the anti-christian themes of most bands, it's that the sheer music itself is not beneficial to the soul.

I used to play in one metal band when I was younger and although there's always the temptation to think that "ok, I'll just ignore the lyrics", it's never that way.
Stephanos Wrote:Also, a while back there was a Japanese scientists doing experiments with water molecules - exposing water to different types of music would cause them to form different patterns. However, rock music, as I recall, tended to create distorted or chaotic images.
Yes, that was a hoax. Beware of New Age mysticism.
What should be noted about these experiments is that Metal is a very wide and varied genre so different styles of Metal will produce different results. There is a really deep and distorted sound with crushing guitars in a style like Doom Metal, but there can also be a very melodic and almost classical sound in Progressive Metal or something deeply influenced by Jazz.

Overall, it is impossible to generalize something as wide and varied as Metal both in the style of the sound and the themes of the songs.

Valz
luigi Wrote:
Quote:We have read somewhere that one made experiments with cows in stables. When Vivaldi was played they would delivere more milk. When Rock was played, they would hold their milk. We were also informed that Rock’n’Roll used to make sharks fuming inside their great aquariums, while classical music would make them at ease. The same thing was observed with crazy people. A priest told us that when someone played Rock and Roll to the African savages, they would ask them why they were summoning the evil spirits.

http://www.upholdingtradition.com/modern...s/rock.htm

How can you judge a genre?