effect of rock music
Watch the last minute of this clip:

Interesting. Plants grow better listening to "death metal" S'truth:

Talking helps plants grow.

plausible

Seven small greenhouses were set up on the M5 Industries roof. Four were set up with stereos playing endlessly looping recordings (as having the Mythbusters actually talk to the plants could contaminate the samples with their expelled carbon dioxide): Two of negative speech, two of positive speech (Kari and Scottie each made one positive and one negative soundtrack), a fifth with classical music and a sixth with intense death metal music. A seventh greenhouse, used as a control sample, had no stereo. The greenhouses with the recordings of speech grew better than the control, regardless of whether such talk was kind or angry. The plants in the greenhouse with the recording of classical music grew better, while the plants in the greenhouse with the recording of intense death metal grew best of all.

I recall that greenhouse experiment! Interesting, indeed.

- Lisa
Interesting, interesting.

That experiment with the plants in the video was very telling.

Stephanos Wrote:In fact, I'm listening to this right now: (The Black Mages, if anyone's interested - contains a nice pipe organ cadenza at 3:42)

The Black Mages are great. I love their redux of FFVIII's "The Extreme":

My favourite is probably their video of "Those Who Fight Further", with Nobuo Uematsu himself on the organ thingy.
LaRoza Wrote:
luigi Wrote:
Quote:We have read somewhere that one made experiments with cows in stables. When Vivaldi was played they would delivere more milk. When Rock was played, they would hold their milk. We were also informed that Rock’n’Roll used to make sharks fuming inside their great aquariums, while classical music would make them at ease. The same thing was observed with crazy people. A priest told us that when someone played Rock and Roll to the African savages, they would ask them why they were summoning the evil spirits.

http://www.upholdingtradition.com/modern...s/rock.htm

How can you judge a genre?

Based on what it produces.
For me it is just obvious, because I listen so seldom, whenever I hear it, it grates on my nerves terribly.

I like music that is probably not good for Christian life too.

For example, certain operas.

Bonifacio Wrote:Based on what it produces.

That doesn't make sense. You could judge a song with that, nothing more.

All such judgements only show one thing: not knowing what rock or metal is. Those ignorant are the ones first to judge.
LaRoza Wrote:
Bonifacio Wrote:Based on what it produces.

That doesn't make sense. You could judge a song with that, nothing more.

All such judgements only show one thing: not knowing what rock or metal is. Those ignorant are the ones first to judge.

Well, what Bonifacio said is a Scriptural principle: "by their fruits you shall know them". But of course, rock and metal are such wide genres that it's really futile to group them together. There are certain types of rock music I like, and others that I don't. For example, death metal and symphonic metal are absolutely not alike.

I avoid complaining about rap because every once in a while, I hear a rap song that's actually really good. Same with country. Tejano is universally condemned, though. There's no such thing as a good Tejano song.
“Rock is a basic way to express passions which, in big audiences, may assume characteristics if cult or even adoration, contrary to Christianism.”
(Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, Pope Benedict XVI)

http://www.upholdingtradition.com/modern...s/rock.htm