effect of rock music
Let's not forget that easily 99% of Pop/Rock is musical junk, nerve wracking and extramusically promoting poisonous ideologies.  It can be attractive but it's ultimately perverse, because we are fallen we tend not to notice.

Listen to a song like "Bring Me to Life" from Evanescence and you hear a sweet-voiced girl singing a song of longing and renewal with lyrics that rival St. Augustine's confessions in some places they are so beautiful.

With rough textured music that contrasts her relatively smooth voice, there is an interesting contrast in the song. 

But underneath within the song itself are electronically altered voices that are made to sound demonic, alternately screaming and hissing despair and rage and regret.  It's right from the pit of hell itself.  

The song was even mistaken by "Christian Rock" advocates into thinking it really was a Christian song until the group denounced it. 

The song is an Ode to Idolatry and ultimately an attempt to break the first commandment by viewing another creature as the source of life.

"Bring Me To Life"
(feat. Paul McCoy)

how can you see into my eyes like open doors
leading you down into my core
where I’ve become so numb without a soul my spirit sleeping somewhere cold
until you find it there and lead it back home

(Wake me up)
Wake me up inside
(I can’t wake up)
Wake me up inside
(Save me)
call my name and save me from the dark
(Wake me up)
bid my blood to run
(I can’t wake up)
before I come undone
(Save me)
save me from the nothing I’ve become

now that I know what I’m without
you can't just leave me
breathe into me and make me real
bring me to life

(Wake me up)
Wake me up inside
(I can’t wake up)
Wake me up inside
(Save me)
(Wake me up)
bid my blood to run
(I can’t wake up)
before I come undone
(Save me)

Bring me to life
(I've been living a lie, there's nothing inside)
Bring me to life

frozen inside without your touch without your love darling only you are the life among the dead

all this time I can't believe I couldn't see
kept in the dark but you were there in front of me
I’ve been sleeping a thousand years it seems
got to open my eyes to everything
without a thought without a voice without a soul
don't let me die here
there must be something more
bring me to life

(Wake me up)
Wake me up inside
(I can’t wake up)
Wake me up inside
(Save me)
(Wake me up)
bid my blood to run
(I can’t wake up)
before I come undone
(Save me)

(Bring me to life)
I’ve been living a lie, there’s nothing inside
(Bring me to life)

Not the best example of Power Melodious Metal, in my opinion, but one that I would not dare call "anti-Catholic."

http://www.youtube.com/v/1KykSqgjNQo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Lyrics:
Back in 1095, when the call to arms came
We had the red cross sown on
Sent to save the holy land and crush the infidels
With strength from above

Steel meets steel

On towards victory we march
The guiding star lead us to the battle field
There, the heathens were subdued
And in the end we forced them all to yield or die

In July in '99, the Holy City was stormed and won
Jerusalem was freed, we thanked the Lord for our glory

We, the Templars, have survived
By honor and pride and the blessing of the sword
The quest of the war forever sung
to the sound of steel meets steel

Another example of a Power Metal band (many performers in this genre are Catholic):

http://www.youtube.com/v/rJPosPFt9Tw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Lyrics:
No doubt, doubt

No longer need to hide it
I've found out who I am
I'm moved around in circles
I rise and fall again

I know it well
Every word I tell
Seems to make no sense at all

Words
Will heal it
Love
Will conquer the
Hearts of the hopeless the almighty is still alive

Risin' up from the heart of the desert
Risin' up from Jerusalem
Risin' up from the heat of the desert
Building up old Jerusalem
Risin' up from the heart of the desert
Risin' up from Jerusalem
Risin' up from the heat of the desert
Heading out for Jerusalem

I've gone beyond but there's no life
And there is nothing how it seems
I've gone beyond but there's no life
There is no healing rain in Eden
The empty barren wasted paradise
Let's celebrate the dawning of the Sun

I turn to you oh my precious Jerusalem
Deny your prophets their passion and treat them like fools
I turn to you oh my poor old Jerusalem
Deny my love but you can't change fate

Son of man
(You truly are mine)

Can't stand the pain
No more grief and misery
It goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on

Father stop it now
We must stop it now

You really think you are half way up
I would not mind if you were right
(It's not sure)
I'd rather say you are half way down
So I am going to help you if I can

I've been caught in wilderness in wilderness
I've get out well
I found myself in desert lands in desert lands
But you've been on my mind

Deny my love but you can't change truth

Rise up and follow me cause I will bring the light
Rise up and follow me wake up and clear your mind
I try to bring it back the seed of life
I try to bring it back the seal of light

So if you say there's no faith in man
You better keep in mind
That I can read between the lines
My heavy burden brings eyesight to the blind

I've been caught in wilderness in wilderness
I've get out well
I found myself in desert lands in desert lands
But you've been on my mind

Deny my love but you can't change me.

Does this vindicate the genre? Of course not, but it is worth noting. Personally, I have hated modern rock, pop, jazz, and even the majority of country simply because when the song gets done I feel I have walked away either with nothing or something I never woud have wanted. Most metal I hate to except for this genre, much of which attempts to bring back both classical theory and the spirit of the old epic poetry and folklore that the modern world would like to forget; one of the few genres that tries to invoke and emulate the past rather than forget it or curse it.

But mostly the only music I can feel comfortable listening to anymore is chant and folk (from all around the world, from Latin, to Celtic, to Middle Eastern, and even American).
Gerard Wrote:Let's not forget that easily 99% of Pop/Rock is musical junk, nerve wracking and extramusically promoting poisonous ideologies.  It can be attractive but it's ultimately perverse, because we are fallen we tend not to notice.
<

Lets not forget 99% of all art (music and movies included) is junk and it is only the good stuff which survives.

Each generation has their condemnation of new styles of music and the good stuff ends up surviving to feed the perception that it is only the new stuff which is bad, instead of the only the good stuff which survives.

Also, so many people judge music based on weird things. If a song's lyrics can't be attacked, then they attack possible background noises with weird conspiracy theories and assumptions.

Like the "Bring Me to Life" from Evanescence, the lyrics and singer were ok, so you had to contrive something to condemn.

Judge this then. It is my favourite doom metal song. The lyrics should be easy to understand.

LaRoza Wrote: Lets not forget 99% of all art (music and movies included) is junk and it is only the good stuff which survives.

Quality doesn't always determine the survivability of some music and art. 
Some composers of quality like Field, Clementi, Rameau, Alkan, Scriabin were at times almost completely forgotten simply because they were overshadowed by the reputations of the giants of their particular ages. 

But where it concerns music, there is a higher percentage of Pop/Rock mileiu that needs to be consigned to the trash heap.  Most of it is written and produced to be disposable anyway.  Robert Plant even commented that he hesitated to call any "Rock" music as actual art when compared to Mozart.

There is very very little of the Pop/Rock genre that has broad human qualities that will survive. 

Quote: Each generation has their condemnation of new styles of music and the good stuff ends up surviving to feed the perception that it is only the new stuff which is bad, instead of the only the good stuff which survives.

I don't remember there being howls of indignation when Will Ackerman started Windham Hill and George Winston and people like that started modernizing rural folk music into what what would be called inappropriately  "New Age Music."

Certain generations and their opinions have nothing to do with the actual characteristics inherent in musical genres.  With something like jRap, you have hit rock bottom when it comes to melody and the only appeal it has musically speaking is that it has a rhythmic beat that is no different than a Bach partita.  

Quote:Also, so many people judge music based on weird things. If a song's lyrics can't be attacked, then they attack possible background noises with weird conspiracy theories and assumptions.

I'm not basing the judgement on weird things, I'm making the judgement based on musical qualities and there just happen to be weird things in the song that work against it. 

The lyrics are good to a point, but they are idolatrous. If they had been directed to God things would hold but even pretending that they are God-centered would not prevent theological difficulties from being there. 

Quote:Like the "Bring Me to Life" from Evanescence, the lyrics and singer were ok, so you had to contrive something to condemn.

I didn't contrive anything.  Go listen to it and listen for the gravel-voiced words "There's Nothing inside" and tell me what is edifying about that. 

I actually liked the tune because of the contrast between the rather masculine rock and the singer's lyrical voice.  But after I've listened to it enough and thought about it, that doesn't mean I ignore what I've concluded about its relative artistic value and its shortcomings. 

If you just want to love all music as peaches and cream and everything is dandy, knock yourself out, but don't condemn the rest of us for actually determining objective standards in the arts.

The problem with some of you people is you actually listen to the lyrics of songs. Unless you work in radio where you have to play the same songs every two hours, nobody has any business knowing the lyrics of most popular music. For instance, I had no idea what the lyrics were to "Bring Me To Life" until I saw them here. "Wake me up inside" is all I ever got from that song, after hearing it hundreds of times. I know the lyrics to a song like "Ironic" and many others from the mid 90s because I had to hear them several thousand times, I didn't have a choice. Just listening to a song because it has a catchy tune isn't going to do anyone any harm because, aside from the hook, I doubt most people even know what's being said.

The problem is people with no formation of conscience will start to take some of the lyrics that do peak through and turn them into maxims for life.

"If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with."  or a whole plethora of abominable phrases in "Only the Good Die Young."  (I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saint. The sinners are much more fun...") 

Only through music and comedy can people with no possibility of giving informed opinions slip past all criticism of what the substance is of what they are saying and poison minds. 

What are teenage girls without any moral guidance going to think after listening to Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl?"  Talk about an immoral, gold-digging marketing campaign. A young glamorous singer teases about how she kissed a girl and liked it.  Mentions she has a boyfriend etc.  The video is fodder for a study on market manipulation.  There is something there to tempt every focus group, from the boys to the whole gay culture along with the standard oblivious Pop tune listener) 

The song has a strong hook, catchy tune, the girl is beautiful and there is a strong appeal to the "madonna/whore" complex in her coy behavior in the video, in which she looks like "she could melt a stone" to use the words of Bishop Williamson.

Katy Perry
I Kissed A Girl lyricsThis was never the way I planned
Not my intention
I got so brave, drink in hand
Lost my discretion
It's not what, I'm used to
Just wanna try you on
I'm curious for you
Caught my attention

I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chapstick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I liked it

No, I don't even know your name
It doesn't matter,
You're my experimental game
Just human nature,
It's not what,
Good girls do
Not how they should behave
My head gets so confused
Hard to obey

The taste of her cherry chap stick
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
I liked it,

Us girls we are so magical
Soft skin, red lips, so kissable
Hard to resist so touchable
Too good to deny it
Ain't no big deal, it's innocent

The taste of her cherry chap stick
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
I liked it
Good gracious, what filth and trash does one see before one's eyes in this thread. I see that modern music was even more depraved and damaging to the human being then I assumed. In Dutch there exists the slogan: "Laat niet toe in uw huis, wat niet past bij het kruis". Don't allow in your homes that which is unfitting with the cross. And I believe we have plenty of examples of the latter in this thread.
Gerard Wrote:I didn't contrive anything.  Go listen to it and listen for the gravel-voiced words "There's Nothing inside" and tell me what is edifying about that.
It is funny reading this. It is done for effect, having the contrasting voices and that band is very, very light.

It isn't meant to be edifying, but to be part of the entire song. It isn't meant to reflect how one lives, but a person's feelings. Songs are songs, not gospel.

Quote: 

I actually liked the tune because of the contrast between the rather masculine rock and the singer's lyrical voice.  But after I've listened to it enough and thought about it, that doesn't mean I ignore what I've concluded about its relative artistic value and its shortcomings. 
It never claimed to be great. It isn't Satanic though, any more than any other non liturgical music.

Quote:

If you just want to love all music as peaches and cream and everything is dandy, knock yourself out, but don't condemn the rest of us for actually determining objective standards in the arts.

Hey, you are the one condemning, not me. I didn't say I love all music, just that it is amusing to see people condemn things.
It's right from the pit of hell itself.  
And you know that, how? How does 'creepy' voices fit into Satan's grand plan? Yes, we will add contrast to this girl's sweet voice. Yeah that'll bring people to hell. [Image: huh.gif]
didishroom Wrote:It's right from the pit of hell itself.  
And you know that, how? How does 'creepy' voices fit into Satan's grand plan? Yes, we will add contrast to this girl's sweet voice. Yeah that'll bring people to hell. [Image: huh.gif]

It is a silly assertion. The music itself is not liturgical, and some may feel entertainment is wrong, but just because the voice is not what they want doesn't change the meaning. Most people will not understand that Crade of Filth song I posted. I posted it to show what I consider a medium standard of contrast to the point I wouldn't even call Evanescence even remotely heavy.

Also, real Satanic music (rather than just godless or secular, which most music is to some degree) is usually not raspy like that.