Question about the SSPX
Haven't been on this site in a while. I wanted to ask what the effect will be of the Pope's lifting of excumnication of the SSPX?
Only time will tell.
Taking a guess, I would say the battle for the soul of the Church comes indoors. 

The Pope is going to be pinned to the wall on doctrinal issues and he's going to have to make clarifications which will necessarily have to include condemnations of errors. 

Those that can't take a solemn magisterial decision that goes against their beliefs will have the choice to stay and submit or go. 

Schisms will occur and there will be a liberal "high church" neo-catholic religion that will be pretty low church and following ecumenical path of  madness, they will dissolve into other Protestant sects. 

The Pope himself had envisaged the Church of the future as being much smaller but much purer.  He's obviously not going to wait for it to happen on its own since he's been placed in the seat of power his decisions and the events of history will make it happen.

The SSPX is a part of that.  He's probably sifting the church wheat from the church chaff in his larger strategy. 

Gerard Wrote:The Pope himself had envisaged the Church of the future as being much smaller but much purer.  He's obviously not going to wait for it to happen on its own since he's been placed in the seat of power his decisions and the events of history will make it happen.

The SSPX is a part of that.  He's probably sifting the church wheat from the church chaff in his larger strategy. 

Thats probably something that will take time and reach beyond his tenure. 40 years of Vatican 2 abuses can not be undone overnight. A new generation has to be taught.
I think that's why he wants the SSPX regularized.  They provide the foil for clarifying things (probably more than he really wants) and they are also like a valve bypass for the Church where he has a supply of younger, purely militant Catholic priests, nuns and faithful that can find a way to pass on the tradition of the Church and anchor things after he's gone. 

Maybe he could pick some more bishops and even a few cardinals from among their ranks. 

I would love to see and hear Fr. Robinson or the Fathers Pfeiffer or Fathers Grun, (too many good priests to mention) as well as all four (YES WILLIAMSON)  the bishops giving sermons and speeches just before walking into the next conclave.
JustaServant Wrote:Haven't been on this site in a while. I wanted to ask what the effect will be of the Pope's lifting of excumnication of the SSPX?

I think it will have the effect of totally ticking off the conciliar bishops and cardinals.  More than it already has.  [Image: laff.gif][Image: beer2.gif][Image: beer2.gif]
Originally Posted by JustaServant
Haven't been on this site in a while. I wanted to ask what the effect will be of the Pope's lifting of excumnication of the SSPX?
I also thinks, we need to wait and see. Maybe it is a trap to make traditionalist compromise with V2!