Liberal Bishops Seek to Bully SSPX
Quote: Cardinal Lehmann calls on the SSPX to make concessions http://cathcon.blogspot.com/2009/02/cardinal-lehmann-calls-on-sspx-to-make.html

An end to the cat-and-mouse game: The German Cardinal Lehmann, asks the SSPX to accept the decisions of the Vatican - otherwise the Pope needs to once again put into effect their excommunications.
Cologne - The Mainz Cardinal Karl Lehmann expects the traditionalist SSPX without ifs and buts to affirm the decisions of the Second Vatican Council. The SSPX should cease their cat-and-mouse game with the Pope now, said Lehmann on Sunday on German radio. Only under this condition was a return of the group of priests to the Catholic Church is possible.

Lehmann said that Pope Benedict XVI risked something with the lifting of excommunication against the four SSPX bishops. If he considers that this gesture of reconciliation had only received derisive responses, then the decision had already failed.

Lehmann also attempted to protect the Pope from criticism. Although an unbiased observer cannot but see amiss the decisions of Benedict in the decisions for re-authorization of Tridentine Mass, the related amendment to the Good Friday prayer for the Jews and the statements of Holocaust denier Richard Williamson as "a systematic tendency". He himself does not believe that the Pope supports such a tendency.

“The confrontation with the SSPX gives also an urgent imperative to the Catholic Church to make better known to the faithful than previously, the decrees adopted by the Council”, said Lehmann. "If I am a Christian in today's world, then I must also have to be informed about certain things," he said.

Cathcon- one would have to excommunicate a good proportion of the Bishops of the Catholic world for not implementing one part or another of Vatican II. But given the obsession with the last Council to exclusion of all the others, an even greater proportion would have to be excommunicated who did not give unreserved assent to all.With friends like Cardinal Lehmann rushing to declare their protection, does the Pope need enemies?

Liberal and SSPX Bishops publicly dispute over the treatment of Vatican II as the Pope must have anticipated. Liberals issue threats like weakling bullies with support of a big brother (media). The SSPX defends itself with appeals to Catholic Tradition. The Pope has requested prayers for the "Ship of Peter" so he may be willing to take a stand.
Another example of liberal Bishops bullying...

http://cathcon.blogspot.com/2009/02/bully-boy-tactics-in-linz.html

What a bunch of cry babies.

I wish that's all they were, Baskerville. They just made a good bishop resign in Austria and in so doing they made the pope look like he has no clue about who to put where. I think the bishop made a mistake but I don't know what he was told. Either way, these liberals are willing to fight. I hope the SSPX gets in and puts up their dukes.
maldon Wrote:I wish that's all they were, Baskerville. They just made a good bishop resign in Austria and in so doing they made the pope look like he has no clue about who to put where. I think the bishop made a mistake but I don't know what he was told. Either way, these liberals are willing to fight. I hope the SSPX gets in and puts up their dukes.
The disappointing withdrawal of "arch-conservative" Gerhard Wagner demonstrates that SSPX priests are needed to fill the open bishop offices. SSPX Faithful should be ready to serve or send our sons to serve as honor guards protecting newly appointed SSPX Bishops.
On a level playing field, I don't think the liberal bishops have a chance against the traditionalists. They are intellectually weak-minded and have no grasp on the Catholic faith. The most they can do is throw a hissy fit while the traditional bishops send them to time-out--or throw them out of the house.