Pope Benedict XVI on Mideast tour
This is so frustrating.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/20...east_N.htm

Quote:
Pope Benedict XVI on Mideast tour

AMMAN, Jordan (AP) — A Jordanian Catholic church leader says Pope Benedict XVI will visit an Amman mosque during his Mideast tour in the second week of May.

The pope will arrive in Jordan on May 8 as part of an eight-day tour which will include Israel and the West Bank.

Father Rifat Bader, the spokesman and coordinator of the Jordanian portion of the tour, said Tuesday the pontiff will visit the Hussein Bin Talal Mosque, named after Jordan's late king who died in 1999.

It will be the Pope's second visit to a place of Muslim worship since he prayed at the Blue Mosque in Istanbul in 2006.

Bader added that the pontiff would meet with Muslim leaders to underline "coexistence between religions."

The pope also will visit biblical sites in Jordan.

I wouldn't say frusterating.

The Pope is doing things which the apostles did. He is going to those outside the Church.

If the pope can cause one person to come to the Church by going to a mosque, it was worth it.

The Muslims are often taught many false things about the Church. It requires a light touch I think.
ONeill Wrote:I wouldn't say frusterating.

The Pope is doing things which the apostles did. He is going to those outside the Church.

If the pope can cause one person to come to the Church by going to a mosque, it was worth it.

The Muslims are often taught many false things about the Church. It requires a light touch I think.

I remember when I thought like you.  It was bliss.  :)
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:I remember when I thought like you.  It was bliss.  :)

You can't judge his talk before it is done. We can only pray his words are the right words and that the people listening are given the grace to accept them.
I don't think he prayed in the Blue mosque. PRAY THE ROSARY,however, FOR THE CHURCH!

The rosary got us the MP (SSPX Crusade). And it got the excommunications lifted!
Oh, boy...

Back to reality.

No he's not acting like the Apostles. They preached the Truth. He will preach about 'tolerance' and 'co-existing.' He will not tell them to repent of their errors like the Apsotles did to the Jews.

Frankly, I really don't care anymore. I am so tired of getting worked up about this kind of stuff. This kind of nit picking and watching every little thing the popes does almost took me away from the Faith.
I was hoping that one bright side of l'affaire Williamson would be that the Israelis would refuse him entry into their country.  Then the whole Mideast trip would be canceled. 

I predict absolutely nothing good will come of this trip.  John Paul II visited the Wailing Wall.  Pope Benedict has been to a mosque (in Turkey!) and I don't know how many synagogues.  He does *not* need to prove his bona fides to the interreligious dialogue crowds.  But the Pope will insult the SSPXers and fellow travelers by going on this trip.  Then the traditionalists will be split again into those writers who feel obliged to defend him, those who feel obliged to chastise him, and those who feel they cannot join either camp. 

***edited***

didishroom Wrote:No he's not acting like the Apostles. They preached the Truth. He will preach about 'tolerance' and 'co-existing.' He will not tell them to repent of their errors like the Apsotles did to the Jews.

Frankly, I really don't care anymore. I am so tired of getting worked up about this kind of stuff. This kind of nit picking and watching every little thing the popes does almost took me away from the Faith.

Ditto with me.  All the fussing and hand ringing in the world on the part of trads is not going to stop events like this from happening.  Whether we like it or not this is the policy of the Church today and it is not going to stop anytime in the foreseeable future.  Even the SSPX (which I assume does not approve of this stuff) has not let incidents like this halt their quest for reconciliation with Rome.

We should just be grateful for what the Pope has done so far in his nearly 4 years as Pontiff.  We have the Latin mass springing up here and there all over the place and we have many new people who are discovering the riches of the authentic Catholic liturgical tradition.  Was this not what traditionalist wanted for the past 40 years? 

It may not be 1958 all over again, but it suffices me for the present to have what we do.

Bob
ONeill Wrote:I wouldn't say frusterating.

He is not doing what the apostles did. He won't preach Christ. The only reason a Pope should go to a mosque is to preach Christ and call for conversion to the one true faith.