SSPX threatens to expel Bishop Williamson
Quote:http://opinionatedcatholic.blogspot.com/2009/02/sspx-gives-deadline-to-bishop.html

MAINZ, February 18 (Translated from kath.net) - A representative of the FSSPX has announced that Holocaust denier Richard Williamson could be expelled from the society unless he withdraws his statements on the Holocaust by the end of February.

Fr. Matthias Gaudron said in a program on ZDF German TV that the FSSPX has given the English-born bishop until the end of February to make his retraction.

"As traditional Catholics, we have no reason to downplay Hitler's crimes or in any way to describe the Nazi regime as any less horrible than it was," Fr. Gaudron said, adding that "Fr. Williamson has caused great harm to our society" [by his statements on the Holocaust].
Would this mean that the official Holocaust consensus is now adopted as an SSPX and Conciliar religious tenet? I pray this is a false report.

columba Wrote:Would this mean that the official Holocaust consensus is now adopted as an SSPX and Conciliar religious tenet? I pray this is a false report.

No, it means that the SSPX wisely doesn't think its leaders should speak on the matter.

Bishop Williamson could easily say he retract his statements and he will no longer speak of the matter except to condemn all war crimes and genocides in history.
It means Williamson is going to retract or else they wouldn't have said it.

They know he is and so they want to milk this for PR points to kill the issue.
'Fr. Williamson?" I don't like the man, be he should be referred to by his proper title as bishop.
They wont kill the issue because Msgr. Williamson's words are not the issue at all. The modernists have loathed the SSPX from afar for decades, and now they have their finally chance to attack. They wont give this one up.
Fellay said something else which has been posted in another thread ...that it will take time and that you can't coerce thought.  I seriously doubt Fellay would have given some ultimatum.  The guys just too Catholic for that.

Perhaps Stevus is right if the article is at all credible.

didishroom Wrote:'Fr. Williamson?" I don't like the man, be he should be referred to by his proper title as bishop.

Many of those who are currently attacking the SSPX are calling into question the validity of his episcopal consecration.

Also, before anyone says it, I refer to him as 'Msgr. Williamson' out of habit, being near Quebec and under the influence of the French forms. The title of Monseigneur or Monsignor ("My Lord") is of course proper to bishops and only given as a privilege to certain priests. In English it has become common to say "Bishop so-and-so", from the more informal Anglican influence (where I hear it is even common to address them as "bishop" to their faces).
Quote:No, it means that the SSPX wisely doesn't think its leaders should speak on the matter.
Really? if so then how can he retract what he said and believes? It has become painfully clear that the society does not have the backbone or will it once had or portrayed.
This is a dreadful shame for us all. im shicked that some here think that priests or bishops should say nothing about secular history considering those who control the past control the present.
but what ever ah. the jews say jump we catholics say how high
shame.
man it hurts, also these bagels im eating for lunch just have  a bad tatse about them now. even my nutrition has been effected

devotedknuckles Wrote:
Quote:No, it means that the SSPX wisely doesn't think its leaders should speak on the matter.
Really? if so then how can he retract what he said and believes? It has become painfully clear that the society does not have the backbone or will it once had or portrayed.
This is a dreadful shame for us all. im shicked that some here think that priests or bishops should say nothing about secular history considering those who control the past control the present.
but what ever ah. the jews say jump we catholics say how high
shame.
man it hurts, also these bagels im eating for lunch just have  a bad tatse about them now. even my nutrition has been effected

It is truly a small matter. What would the SSPX have to gain by allowing their leaders to speak on historical matters especially ones that may cause issues?

Most organisations have strict rules on what their people can say in their official capacity.
ONeill Wrote:the SSPX wisely doesn't think its leaders should speak on the matter.
That is wise policy.

Quote:Bishop Williamson could easily say he retract his statements
It is not clear whether he is required to just withdraw his remarks or to say he believes the opposite. The wording of his retraction will be carefully parsed by everyone. It is certain that any response will be roundly condemned as insufficient and insincere. This exercise is an absurdity.