Plural Marriage
Aviz Wrote:
QuisUtDeus Wrote:I didn't think she was all that immodest.  Sure, immodest for Mass, but not for gym class.

As I'm sure you know, modesty isn't just confined to Mass. For a gym class - if you can seriously call dancing around a pole a "gym" class - I guess it wouldn't be immodest if there was no-one around to watch her.

However, to post on this forum a woman pole dancing on tight shorts and a top showing off her belly for everyone to see is far from appropriate or modest, wouldn't you say so?

I thought it was a bit borderline to post on a forum (I'd personally have posted a link to a video with a description of what it is, so no one sees it on the thread), but in such cases, one is best off contacting the admins instead of complaining about it. If I complained about everything I thought was improper or not fit for the forum, I'd have three times the post count, but I only report things which need action or I think need action specifically to the admins.
ONeill Wrote:one is best off contacting the admins instead of complaining about it.

I spoke directly to ggreg, the person who post it, and I told him what I thought about it. Simple.
Aviz Wrote:
ggreg Wrote:
Aviz Wrote:
jennifermf Wrote:If this situation makes these people happy, then they should hang on tightly to it, as happiness is not something easily found in this world of hate and intolerance.

Refreshing words, indeed. Let's see then if we can be more "tolerant" about these issues:
  • If having sex with children makes pedophiles "happy", then they should hang on tightly to it;
  • If having sex with animals makes bestiality lovers "happy", then they should hang on tightly to it;
  • If having sex with siblings makes incestuous people "happy", then they should hang on tightly to it;
  • If marrying endless wives makes polygamists "happy", then they should hang on tightly to it;
  • If marrying animals, children or siblings makes bestiality lovers, pedophiles and incestuous folk "happy", then they should hang on tightly to it;
  • If stealing other people's legitimate propriety makes thieves, communists and anarchists "happy", then they should hang on tightly to it;
  • If cheating and lying makes dishonest people "happy", then they should hang on tightly to it; etc.
I could go on but you get my point. Freedom does not consist in making what you want or what makes you "happy", but in the ability to pursue good.

If Pole Dancing makes people happy, then they should hang on tightly to it.  Especially this stupid girl.
The girl is dressed immodestly, ggreg. It's not very appropriate to post it here.

yeah ggreg... no more videos with women wearing anything less than a burka!
       ha
Aviz Wrote:
ONeill Wrote:one is best off contacting the admins instead of complaining about it.

I spoke directly to ggreg, the person who post it, and I told him what I thought about it. Simple.

Complaints about threads should not be done on that thread.
sjm442000 Wrote:yeah ggreg... no more videos with women wearing anything less than a burka!
       ha

That doesn't make sense.

I almost reported the video, but after watching it, it was so brief and comical I did not think it would be an occasion of sin. One has to dress modestly in the Church, and that woman is not. Dressing modestly does not mean wearing a burka, and not wearing a burka does not mean dressing like a whore.
Aviz Wrote:However, to post on this forum a woman pole dancing on tight shorts and a top showing off her belly for everyone to see is far from appropriate or modest, wouldn't you say so?

No more inappropriate than claiming Catholic women should behave like infidel Muslims and wear burkas.  And I allow that.

I make some leeway for modesty since not everyone agrees on what "modest" is.  Having grown up in co-educational gym classes, my experience is that, yes, it is modest as far as American culture goes.  A midriff and athletic shorts that come to almost the knee are not immodest to the average American, Catholic or otherwise.

Now, I suppose you are going to argue for traditional Catholic standards of modesty, which starts another debate, and really, is irrelevant.  This is a forum comprised of people interested in traditional Catholicism - it is not an enforcement bureau for traditional Catholicism.  Unless something is blatantly and clearly posted to offend, or is clearly offensive, I usually allow it or, at the least, tolerate it.

In another post a while ago, I said I can respond in-kind to people who object to other's "Catholicity".  So, I will, gently, but maybe you will get my point.

In this case, I'm tolerating the video.  Not because of immodesty, but because someone being hurt is presented for humor.  That's not very Catholic, is it, to laugh at someone who accidentally gets hurt?  But you and others missed the point that there was a human being getting hurt because you were more interested in the inappropriateness of her clothing.

Hey, pain can be funny.  I laugh at Jackass and the Three Stooges.  But that is self-inflicted pain on purpose.   Slapstick is funny.

But when someone gets hurt on accident, whether falling off a dancing pole or slipping on ice and breaking their hip, is it Catholic to laugh at them?  Human nature, sure.  Catholic, no.

Quo vadis, Aviz?  See Christ in everyone first, and then you will not be as offended by her clothing as you would be by her pain.
QuisUtDeus Wrote:See Christ in everyone first, and then you will not be as offended by her clothing as you would be by her pain.

For a funnier video see (warning, girls in shorts): http://www.funnyhub.com/videos/pages/pol...ident.html
QuisUtDeus Wrote:Quo vadis, Aviz?  See Christ in everyone first, and then you will not be as offended by her clothing as you would be by her pain.

I'm not going anywhere, Quis. The forum is yours so naturally you can enforce or allow whatever you want.

As far as I'm concerned and for the sake of explaining myself, I just told ggreg that posting a semi-naked woman was quite an inappropriate thing to do. It seemed to me to be obvious enough but apparently it isn't given the reactions to my remarks. I didn't highlight the fact that the woman got hurt because that was really besides the point: I don't find those things funny to begin with and the immodesty in her dressing far supplants the eventual fact that some people may laugh at her pain.

Anyway, as I said before, you can proceed as you wish.