Racial "Separatism"
I was going to post the same passage Vox.  I've used it plenty of times to my friends.
The European nobility married among their own kind.

Was this wrong?

I don't think so.

It's natural to want children and grand-children that your ancestors would recognize as being of their stock.
No, it's not wrong to marry among your own kind, it's also not wrong to marry into a different race. If your descendants have all made it to heaven, you won't need to recognize them, and you'll be too focused on the joy that they're all with God for eternity!
Great passage Vox!

Anastasia Wrote:No, it's not wrong to marry among your own kind, it's also not wrong to marry into a different race.

One has a right to consider the consequences.

Quote:If your descendants have all made it to heaven, you won't need to recognize them, and you'll be too focused on the joy that they're all with God for eternity!
Great passage Vox!

Obviously it's a worldly concern, but families must concern themselves with the world to some extent.

Alaric, the Old Testament Israelites also had standing orders to commit genocide against other races.  Rules that applied then don't apply now.

The rules against intermarriage with foreigners (which, as noted above, were not absolute) foreshadow the Church's restrictions on marriage with spiritual foreigners -- i.e. people of other religions. 

Tamar the Chanaanitess, Rahab the Chanaanitess, and Ruth the Midianitess were all ancestors of Christ. 

Telemaque,

I love how people try to twist the position "it is not wrong to marry outside one's ethnic group" into the position "it is wrong to marry within one's ethnic group."  The two positions are quite different.  It is perfectly fine to marry inside one's ethnic group.  It just isn't a *sin* to do otherwise. 
Telemaque,

"One has a right to consider the consequences."

And you know what, you cannot establish anything better than prudential guidelines -- at best.  You cannot infer anything about any given interracial marriage simply because of some statistic.  Therefore, you have make the decision on a case by case basis. 

What are the consequences you are concerned about?  As there have been productive, holy interracial marriages, and the Church has never banned such marriages, shall we not conclude that you cannot predict results simply on the basis of different race? 
I don't recall anyone saying it was wrong to marry into one's own race. Did I miss something?
What exactly are these bad consequences of marrying into another race?

Bonifacius Wrote:I love how people try to twist the position "it is not wrong to marry outside one's ethnic group" into the position "it is wrong to marry within one's ethnic group."  The two positions are quite different.  It is perfectly fine to marry inside one's ethnic group.  It just isn't a *sin* to do otherwise. 

The position is that it is preferable to marry people of certain ancestries. It is not wrong to maintain that preference, and to advocate that preference for one's children and for society as a whole.

But that preference is considered racist.

Quote: One has a right to consider the consequences.
If someone was getting married to someone who was of a different race and asked my advice I would answer this.

The most important thing is that you're both Catholic, understand and believe all the Church teaches especially concerning marriage and that you love each other.

However, with race, culture is usually attached. I would just warn them if they would be willing to put up with the crap for being a mixed race couple you get from all people and whether your potential spouse's cultural will be too different to live with and vice versa.

If you would think the stigma of being a mixed race couple would be too much strain on your marrige to deal with, you might want to reconsider.

However, in of itself there is nothing wrong with amrrying outside your race. In Christ, we are all one.
Quote:
The position is that it is preferable to marry people of certain ancestries. It is not wrong to maintain that preference, and to advocate that preference for one's children and for society as a whole.

But that preference is considered racist.
And yet nearly all people, at least in America, marry within their own race, whether they be white, black, oriental etcc. I guess we're all racists then.