Racial "Separatism"
Mutli-racial people tend to be very good-locking, President Obama excluded(wake up Leftist media, if he were a Republican you would be mocking his ears 24/7)
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:I don't have a problem with my mom "discouraging" me from marrying a girl simply because she has red hair instead of brunette or black. She can say whatever she wants, as long as it remains within the realm of preference. My mom's done it before; she told me she doesn't want me to marry an African girl because she doesn't want her grandchildren to have dark skin (despite her being Asian and having married a European guy, my dad, to produce me). Okay, and I'll grant that introducing my African wife to people would cause a small scene practically every single time.

Nice story. Thank you. Now what if your mother posted here, and posted that to you? Do you think she would be within the rules of the forum?

Give me some scientific evidence that 'culture' is hardwired genetically.(and I mean actual experiments, not stats) If we're get on to "gene wars", I'm not staying here for long...because if Social Darwinism is the way to go, I don't need any extra baggage to believe in...
Telemaque Wrote:
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:I don't have a problem with my mom "discouraging" me from marrying a girl simply because she has red hair instead of brunette or black. She can say whatever she wants, as long as it remains within the realm of preference. My mom's done it before; she told me she doesn't want me to marry an African girl because she doesn't want her grandchildren to have dark skin (despite her being Asian and having married a European guy, my dad, to produce me). Okay, and I'll grant that introducing my African wife to people would cause a small scene practically every single time.

Nice story. Thank you. Now what if your mother posted here, and posted that to you? Do you think she would be within the rules of the forum?

Good question. I'd say both of my parents could be perceived as racists based on things they say, but they aren't really. My dad is Anglo and grew up in rural Georgia before the civil rights era. He occasionally says things in public about Africans that embarrass me, and even uses "nigger" from time to time. But if you were to ask him if he really thinks Africans are inferior to other races, he would say no. He actually has a few black friends.

My mom's idea of race is weird to Western sensibilities. A Spaniard will probably feel closer kinship to a Russian (even though those two are still quite different) than to someone who's not European at all. But, an Indonesian like my mom may very well like Irishmen, but hate the Chinese. Historically speaking, Asians have been better at hating one another (Chinese vs. Japanese vs. Korean vs. Malay) than hating people of entirely different races.
Telemaque,

One of Montezuma's descendants married into a Spanish noble family.  One of the descendants of that marriage was a Spanish naval commander. 

I think you go seriously wrong when you imply that if a person has a personal preference, he must have reasons for that preference that would apply to other people at large.  We are free to have strictly personal preferences for many things that from the point of view of religion are indifferent.  You've found that marrying outside your ethnic group would not be best for you.  And others are perfectly free to come to a contrary conclusion.  Your reasons may not apply to them, and vice versa. 
Setup
To answer your question a bit more directly, Telemaque, I don't think the way I described my mom's idea could be construed as racist. But if she were to say that me marrying a black girl is against God, or that my children would be ugly because of the black genes.... that's racist.

You might have missed the discussion last year which quickly devolved into a racist debate.

CatholicWarrior20 Wrote:While I do agree that our religion is definitely much more important than race, I do disagree that it should allow us to freely mix with different peoples. God made created the races, right? Well, what gives us the right by destroying them by mixing them into one single mixed race?

Quote:The problem is a decrease in the white population and as you mention, it leads to confusion in the lives of the offspring of such relationships. It is good that they are both Roman Catholic but, still, that doesn't make it right.

1. It destroys tradition
2. It destroys civilizations
3. It destroys identity
4. It destroys diversity
5. It destroys family

Race-mixing only benefits non-whites.

Quote:Why doesn't a Cardinal mate with a Blue Jay? It's just not natural.

Etc.
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:To answer your question a bit more directly, Telemaque, I don't think the way I described my mom's idea could be construed as racist.

And yet it's quite clear she would prefer that you not marry a black.

So you are admitting it is possible to have her attitude and not be considered racist?
Telemaque Wrote:
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:To answer your question a bit more directly, Telemaque, I don't think the way I described my mom's idea could be construed as racist.

And yet it's quite clear she would prefer that you not marry a black.

So you are admitting it is possible to have her attitude and not be considered racist?

Yes. People can prefer whatever they want. But when it comes to imposing that as law or theology (as CatholicWarrior20 did, saying that miscegenation was against divine law; he also said it was unnatural, in the same sense that sodomy is), then it's racism... and in CatholicWarrior20's case, also heresy. It's also racism to believe one race is intrinsically inferior to another. It depends on intent. If I say "I don't like blondes", that doesn't mean I think blondes are inferior. That just means I prefer brunettes or blacks, aesthetically.

Quote:Rather amusing, you suggested before that your ancestors would not have attitudes like that because you are of mixed race.

I applaud you for admitting that at least one of them does have an attitude that could be considered as such.

My mom doesn't mind mixed-race marriages in general, obviously. She's married twice and never to someone of the same race. She's just picky about me and black girls, and purely for aesthetic reasons (dark skin, and kinky hair).
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:My mom doesn't mind mixed-race marriages in general, obviously.

Yes, just certain kinds. That's why I deleted the second part of my message.

Quote: She's married twice and never to someone of the same race. She's just picky about me and black girls, and purely for aesthetic reasons (dark skin, and kinky hair).

Okay, so it's just a matter of certain superficial physical features. That is why she discriminates in her preference.