St. Philip Neri broken ribs from love of God
“St. Philip Neri was in his twenty-ninth year when one day he was seized with such a vehemence of divine charity that two of his ribs broke, thus making room for the action of the heart to respond freely to the intensity of the love the of soul. The fracture never healed; it caused a protrusion which was distinctly observable; and, owing to this miraculous enlargement of the region of the heart, Philip was enabled to live fifty years more, during which time he loved his God with a fervor and strength which would do honor to one already in heaven.”
Is this true? It sounds strange that ribs would have to break in order for the hear to "pump" more freely.
I have read this many places about St. Philip. I believe the growth of his heart was an extraordinary outward manifestation of his immense capacity for love.
St. Gemma's heart was found to be incorrupt and bloated (because of her immense love of God) so that ribs were bent.
luigi Wrote:St. Gemma's heart was found to be incorrupt and bloated (because of her immense love of God) so that ribs were bent.

Interesting indeed.
luigi Wrote:“St. Philip Neri was in his twenty-ninth year when one day he was seized with such a vehemence of divine charity that two of his ribs broke, thus making room for the action of the heart to respond freely to the intensity of the love the of soul. The fracture never healed; it caused a protrusion which was distinctly observable; and, owing to this miraculous enlargement of the region of the heart, Philip was enabled to live fifty years more, during which time he loved his God with a fervor and strength which would do honor to one already in heaven.”
Thank you.
As much as the Sacred Heart of Christ was the material/human manifestation (not merely representation) of His Divine Love, so are our hearts a manifestation of our own love; a love that grows when filled with the Love of Christ.

I actually got into a debate with a fellow Catechism teacher about this when she said people focus too much on the physical aspect of the heart when they should forget that and only focus on the spiritual aspect of charity. I told her that this is neo-platonism, not Christianity. We revere the Sacred Heart because we know that the physical heart is a manifestation of the spiritual charity that we may never fully understand.