Does the world help the Church understand?
I don't think that's really the intention of the statement. I see it in a similar sense as looking at what motivated Leo XIII to write Rerum Novarum, which really developed and put a greater emphasis on Catholic teaching in the economic sphere. People of his time were anxiously trying to find ways to establish the authentic rights of workers, property rights, the government's role, etc. So the Pope synthesized and brought forth Catholic doctrine on those issues and applied them to the conditions that were present in order to fulfill those needs. The conditions in the world in the time did cause the whole Church to see more clearly the importance of Catholic doctrine relating to these issues, which is why Leo XIII wrote what he did when he did.

I think in this case the quote in the OP is saying that all these organizations show a desire from people to find ways to create unity among human beings. As far as I understand ecclesiology of communion (see my previous post), it does seem to bring forth the points of Catholic doctrine that address those needs.

I don't think it's wrong to say that events or situations in the world help us to better understand the importance of certain points of our doctrine.

(and notice, the the quote in the OP is talking about understanding the importance of those points, not about understanding those points).

The Church already had an "ecclesiology of communion" though.  It was called the Holy Roman Empire.  Have the UN, EU, or AU bothered to learn anything from Quas Primas?  This seems to be a one way dialogue. 
PeterII Wrote:The Church already had an "ecclesiology of communion" though.  It was called the Holy Roman Empire. 
I don't think it was the Empire per se, ultimately it is the Church.

Quote:Have the UN, EU, or AU bothered to learn anything from Quas Primas?  This seems to be a one way dialogue. 

Those groups don't  teach us about how human unity should be, they teach us that in the world today unity is something people are really anxious about--so we should make sure we explain as best as possible how that unity is truly achieved. If you read the explanation from Cardinal Ratzinger I posted earlier, true human unity can only come about through unity with the Son of God. The reverse is also true--you can't have unity with the Son of God apart from communion with other men (that's what the dogma E.E.N.S. is all about).

Now, I'm sure it is debatable about whether this point of doctrine has been advanced and developed in a satisfactory manner and whether it is really having any impact all (besides being twisted into Godless horizontalism), but the underlying principle--that human events can shed new light on the importance of certain points of the faith once delivered--is a sound one, as far as I can tell.