Eastern monastic tradition - no shave hair
Quote:Orthodox monks traditionally never cut their hair or beards after receiving the monastic tonsure as a sign of the consecration of their lives to God (reminiscent of the Vow of the Nazirite).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsure#Eas...ristianity

Would this include the Byzantine Catholic monks?
I wonder what the hairstyle of the Apostles was.
luigi Wrote:I wonder what the hairstyle of the Apostles was.

They likely had no style because they would be traveling a lot and had more important things to consider, and this wasn't the 50's so it wasn't a priority.

Perhaps they shaved their heads periodically if it got in the way, but I doubt they maintained a certain length.
I am not sure on that.

I remember when I attended an SSPX chapel, and a Russian rite (if there is such thing) priest came in, but did the TLM.  He had long hair, but put it up in a bun.  Some little boys in front of me were laughing at that.  He had a very long beard too.

One cool thing I remember was that to bless the young ones that come to the communion rail, but are too young to receive, he would place the bottom of the chalice on top of their heads for the blessing.  I have never seen this since.
Let us now bring back that silly thread were people thought that the length of one's hair is a concern to God.
ONeill Wrote:
luigi Wrote:I wonder what the hairstyle of the Apostles was.

They likely had no style because they would be traveling a lot and had more important things to consider, and this wasn't the 50's so it wasn't a priority.

Perhaps they shaved their heads periodically if it got in the way, but I doubt they maintained a certain length.

I knew that they wouldn't pay patricular attention to it but I wondered if they would tie it into a knot or shave it periodically.
I knew a priest who was 'Bi-Ritual.' He said only the Latin Mass or the Russian Divine Liturgy. He was not allowed to shave any hair on his body and had a long grey beard to his waist with his hair pulled back in a pony tail passing his shoulders.
This thread makes me think this: I wonder what Stevus would say?
He would say, "That was ok then because it was their culture and a different time period." But when you bring this up to counter his other arguments you get "Should Catholics be subject to fashion trends?" It just goes in circles which is why those arguments go nowhere.
There is a Russian rite and most Byzantine Churches in communion with the Holy See do follow this tradition. The tonsure tradition is something the West has mostly lost and I feel a slight bit of regret for that. When I grew up reading about the Medieval Church I expected modern Catholic priests to have the round tonsures and long beards that they used to have. Franciscans and Carmelites still maintain this tradition though.