Eastern monastic tradition - no shave hair
We just need some one from the Russian Rite to argue with Stevus and tell us how it is bad that we do not grow our hair, and that it is bad that we shave or cut our body hair.
Quote:When I grew up reading about the Medieval Church I expected modern Catholic priests to have the round tonsures and long beards that they used to have.

Actually, the round Roman tonsure ("corona") goes with being entirely clean shaven, not a long beard. Medieval clerics (the secular clerics at least) had to be clean shaven.
Laity don't wear the tonsure and don't let their hair and beards grow.

What they do do, is dress respectably, which means ignoring certain recent trends, and if they refuse, there is something wrong with them.
Telemaque Wrote:What they do do, is dress respectably, which means ignoring certain recent trends, and if they refuse, there is something wrong with them.

I wouldn't say there is something wrong with them, but yes, those who follow trends for the trends sake, are a bit misguided.

Quote:Laity don't wear the tonsure and don't let their hair and beards grow.

Well, in Russian Orthodoxy, at least, they do let their beards grow, definitely. Some Orthodox consider it a mortal sin (even for laity) to shave the male beard.
7HolyCats Wrote:Well, in Russian Orthodoxy, at least, they do let their beards grow, definitely. Some Orthodox consider it a mortal sin (even for laity) to shave the male beard.

I consider it defiling the male face (to look like a woman) for men to shave their faces without a compelling reason.
Quote:I consider it defiling the male face (to look like a woman) for men to shave their faces without a compelling reason.

Well, that's certainly what they argue. And so you can see why, culturally, this was more than just a "trivial" disciplinary disagreement to the Eastern Orthodox in the late middle ages. They thought it was a sign of mass effeminacy in the West, especially among the clergy who were all shaven and shorn...and, well...
Hotspur Wrote:This thread makes me think this: I wonder what Stevus would say?

WWSD.. What would Stevus do? [Image: laff.gif]

- Lisa