Mardi Gras food and drink
So who's making what to celebrate Mardi Gras? I'll probably be making martinis that night, but I'm not sure what food to serve. Our family's still young, so we haven't put together a lot of family traditions yet. Anyone have special customs or meals you make?
I was getting tired of all these nasty name calling threads, so we need to liven up the place a bit;   [Image: margarita.gif] for everybody!

I make Shrove Tuesday pancakes because I am of English descent. And because they're tasty.

One year I made beef burgundy for dinner and the pancakes for dessert -- that was really good. Maybe I'll do something like that again.
At our parish it's called Donut Tuesday. We go to the neighborhood bakery and pick up some pacskis (sp?) and a big coffee cake. At home I'll have my last Coca Cola before the big fast.

- Lisa
I've always wondered why people celebrate Mardi Gras with pancakes and donuts.  Whoopty damn doo.  PEOPLE, EAT MEAT.  It's your last chance for a while.

Pancakes.  Pffft.  I'm saving that for Thursday.
We do "Donut Tuesday" because we're a poor parish LOL

"Pancake Tuesday" was always popular in England, like Rebecca says.

Remember that in olden days, people didn't eat meat every day. It was a rare occasion, reserved for Sundays, Christmas, Easter, and especially for feasts before a big fast. So people went "hog wild" (pardon the pun) on Fat Tuesday or Carnival.

These days, when people eat meat every day (sometimes three times a day with every meal), I have to ask... what is the big deal about eating meat on Mardi Gras?

Let them do something really crazy.

Let them eat cake. [Image: laff.gif]

- Lisa
Unless I am confused about the traditional Lenten rules. I was under the impression that trads abstain from meat every Friday anyway -- whether it is Lent or not. So what is the big deal with Lent? Unless! You all abstain from meat the entire 40 days of Lent. Is this true?  I never remember doing this.

- Lisa
Anastasia Wrote:So who's making what to celebrate Mardi Gras? I'll probably be making martinis that night, but I'm not sure what food to serve. Our family's still young, so we haven't put together a lot of family traditions yet. Anyone have special customs or meals you make?
I was getting tired of all these nasty name calling threads, so we need to liven up the place a bit;   [Image: margarita.gif] for everybody!
crepes with creamed seafood and a paaarty and good music. The winner gets the dime in their crepe, and is king/queen of the evening. Everyone else is subject to them.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Well, Lent is fast and partial abstinence every day (except for of course Friday, which is total abstinence). We can eat meat at only one meal a day, and this meat-meal is to be the only full meal; the other two must be more like snacks, the two together not adding up to the full meal.

WhollyRoaminCatholic: the donuts-and-pancakes theme is a throwback to the days when you couldn't have milk or eggs during Lent, so all of these would be used up in such dishes as donuts, pancakes and cakes.
I didn't know that!
I found it out from a friend who is throwing a pancake party (which, alas, I have to miss - darn night classes!) on Mardi Gras.