Scandal: SSPX priest assists at Novus Ordo Mass by local Spanish Novus Ordo bishop
Aloysius Wrote:not only is "assisted at" old Catholic English jargon for "attended", but "asistió" is actually a false cognate for assisted and is more accurately translated as "attended"

You're right ... "attended" was my translation (q.v.)

My problem, semantics aside, was the phrase, "por el cual ya rezan en el Canon" ("because of. or for which, already they pray in the Canon"). Btw, "asistir" (assist) also could mean "ayudar" (to assist, to aid, to help).
Good for Fr. Novak (SSPX).  That gesture shows some class.
Quote:Aun falta la visita formal que harán los cuatro sacerdotes  FSSPX del Priorato de San Benito al Obispo de Gómez Palacio, por el cual ya rezan en el Canon.

¡Ay caramba!  No, no, no!  This is the meaning of that passage:

"Still lacking is the formal visit that the four FSSPX priests of the San Benito Priory will make to the Bishop of Gomez Palacio ( name of his diocese), for whom they already pray in the Canon."

Adios  muchachos!

I'm agreeing with you, newschoolman. And it was a huge honor for him to be invited to the Mass, and to be seated beside the auxiliaries at the dinner afterwards. I don't see the scandal in it.

Vincentius Wrote:Monseigneur Torres Campos was seen conversing with the Rev. Fallarcuna, FSSPX, which I invited him to visit the Priory of San Benito, and the Bishop  returned the invitation, said him:  "I want to see you in my first Mass as the Bishop of this Diocese" …
At 6 o'clock in the afternoon I began the Mass, and R. P. Gerald Fallarcuna,  representing the good Father Lawrence Novak Prior FSSPX, attended the Mass, carrying their suit of "Chorus", to which they sat down beside the assistant Bishops. 
Thereby even if it lacked the formal visit that had been offered to the four priests of FSSPX of the Priory of San Benito made to the Bishop of Gómez Palace, by which already they prayed the Canon.  (Concelebrated?)

Not quite it... May I re-translate?

Monsignor Campos Torres was seen conversing with Rev. Fallarcuna, SSPX, who invited him to visit the Priory of St. Benedict, and the Bishop, in answer to the invitation, told him, "I want to see you at my first Mass as Bishop.

At 6 pm the Mass began, and Rev. Father Gerald Fallarcuna, representing the good Fr. Lawrence Novak, SSPX, attended the Mass, wearing his choir surplice; they seated him beside the assistant Bishops.

There only remains the formal visit which the four SSPX priests of the Priory of St. Benedict are to make to the Bishop of Gomez Palacio, for whom they already pray in the Canon (where the name of the Bishop of the place is mentioned.)

That was your misunderstanding... nothing to do with concelebration, I promise! I redid the rest for more clarity.
Fr. Lawrence Novak has been a friend of our family for over 14 years, and he even was my latin teacher in high school.  We see him every few months when he travels north from Gomez Palacios. I have not heard about this until now, but I guess next time we speak to him we'll know what really happened.  I can honestly say that he would not co-celebrate a NO mass, nor Fr. Fallarcuna for that matter, but being in attendance at a NO mass doesn't seem that scandalous to me (as long as there was no co-celebration).
Quote:There only remains the formal visit which the four SSPX priests of the Priory of St. Benedict are to make to the Bishop of Gomez Palacio, for whom they already pray in the Canon (where the name of the Bishop of the place is mentioned.)
AgnusDei, that is the acurate translation...thank you!

Well, it looks like the only scandal that took place was starting this thread. 
Well, being all clear now, I think it would be better to correct the misleading and truly scandalous title of this thread.

...And Msgr. Torres Campos is not "Spanish"! It's Mexican!

The lurid opinions of a couple of "traditionalists" -born out of a peculiar kind of sectarianism and a huge antiroman complex- are a perfect sample of the most anticatholic things in WWW.

The Holy See of -let's say- RedNeck County, Idaho, judging the Holy See of Rome...

... and it would be better to know a little bit of spanish before posting news in spanish.

By the way, sorry for the lousy english.

I think this is great news. It's a sign of unity on both parts.
I wouldn't call it a scandal.

We have to be realists, yes the NO Mass is terrible ect but for a new Bishop to be publicly showing this form of unity at his own installation Mass is the real story here.

Bishops, no matter how nutty they are, need the support from groups such as the SSPX or FSSP ect to help them in their job and Priests from traddy fraternities their (diocesan) Bishops in turn. Imagine what kind of message the Bishop was sending to his Priests? 10 out of 10 IMO.

Excellent news.
Quote:being in attendance at a NO mass doesn't seem that scandalous to me

Quote:I think this is great news. It's a sign of unity on both parts.

Scandal yes, good news, no (if the initial report is proven to be accurate)

From Bp. De Castro Mayer and the Campos priests (i.e. 62 reasons why we should not attend the new mass)  URL, click here:

Quote:1. Because the New Mass is not an unequivocal Profession of the Catholic Faith (which the traditional Mass is), it is ambiguous and Protestant. Therefore since we pray as we believe, it follows that we cannot pray with the New Mass in Protestant Fashion and still believe as Catholics!

11. Because the New Mass does not manifest Faith in the Real Presence of our Lord -- the Traditional Mass manifests it unmistakably.

That the SSPX used to promote the above reasons and now apparently adopt (i.e. if the report is proven accurate) this new attitude towards the NO service is hypocrisy. If true, this is not an example of the behavior of Traditional Catholic priests and I hope the report is proven false.

peter, I think you should take a deep breath.  These priests did the right thing by showing some respect to the new Bishop and his office.  It does not mean they will start offereing the NOM.