New New York Bishop Timothy Dolan Strongly Pro-Life
College Catholic,

The photo Dauphin put up was taken when Dolan had been a NO priest for 25+ yrs.  If he has apologised for wearing the cheesehead, than I am happy to hear it.  But there is a point in all this.  A priest from day one should not set himself up for ridicule while giving a sermon, which would include him having on the vestments for the occasion.  You can't mix the sacred with the profane.  That is the point.  Notwithstanding his views concerning prolife(which, by the way, every Catholic, never mind a priest or bishop, is supposed to uphold), trying to be one of the guys doesn't belong up in the pulpit, if that is what he was trying to do. 

This petty business about sports or beers and the rivalry that goes with it is symptomatic of the lack of realisation of the real issues affecting our society. 

By the way, a bishops head dress vary's depending on the part of the liturgy one is in.  They are called a mitre and a zuchetto. 

I don't mean to be so harsh; but if one is in a sacred place, one should behave and act with decorum becoming one's station.    

In JMJ,
\
 Joe
joe17 Wrote:College Catholic,

The photo Dauphin put up was taken when Dolan had been a NO priest for 25+ yrs.  If he has apologised for wearing the cheesehead, than I am happy to hear it.  But there is a point in all this.  A priest from day one should not set himself up for ridicule while giving a sermon, which would include him having on the vestments for the occasion.  You can't mix the sacred with the profane.  That is the point.  Notwithstanding his views concerning prolife(which, by the way, every Catholic, never mind a priest or bishop, is supposed to uphold), trying to be one of the guys doesn't belong up in the pulpit, if that is what he was trying to do. 

This petty business about sports or beers and the rivalry that goes with it is symptomatic of the lack of realisation of the real issues affecting our society. 

By the way, a bishops head dress vary's depending on the part of the liturgy one is in.  They are called a mitre and a zuchetto. 

I don't mean to be so harsh; but if one is in a sacred place, one should behave and act with decorum becoming one's station.    

In JMJ,
\
 Joe

Joe,
I'm well aware of the situation.  My home diocese is Milwaukee, and my uncle is a seminarian.  The archbishop is not foreign to me.

Also, the "petty business...", I agree, yet I don't think we are to drop everything in our lives and focus solely on one thing in life.  There is a time for humor and fun. 

As to the bishop's head dress, what is called for during the homily? 

Did the Archbishop err in his choice for wearing the cheesehead (at Irish Fest, no less)?  Maybe.  Should he be lambasted years later for having done so?  I don't think so.

Again, I didn't see a purpose for his post.  It solely seemed to be negative towards the Archbishop.
Dauphin Wrote:You won't believe it, but remember this?:

[Image: CheeseheadBishopDolan.jpg]

That's Bishop Dolan.

Should a priest where that to this?:

[Image: 172027__passion_l.jpg]

He would be wearing the zuchetto(skull cap) during the sermon.  Again, there is a time and place for fun, but the purpose of preaching is to instruct the faithful on how to live a Christ-centered life.  It could be difficult to switch gears, so to speak, if one minute you see the priest wearing a ridiculous outfit at one part of the sermon, and soon thereafter see him talking about, let's just say, the Four Last Things. Or thereafter resume saying Mass.  It could be difficult for some to take the good instruction seriously.  We shouldn't add to distraction or aid in confusing one who is not strong in the faith, which such a display can possibly do. 

Our Lady, Help of Christians, pray for us.

Joe  
Walty Wrote:I live in the Green Bay Diocese which is just north of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee and Archbishop Dolan has long been seen as a very orthodox Bishop.  I was really surprised to hear that he was being moved, but I think it's going to be a good move.  Perhaps with an even bigger or more vocal archdiocese he will be able to better sway American Catholicism.

Anyone know anything about the previous Archbishop in New York, Archbishop Egan?

Unfortunately, I'm not going to have to agree with Dauphin. I'm from St. Louis, and I had a chance to see Abp. Dolan in action when he was an up and coming priest and affiliated with the local diocesan seminary.

I will say this about Abp. Dolan: He's genuinely a nice guy, he is generally very easy to work with and has shown a great deal of sympathy and understanding. Despite the cheese head incident, I honestly don't think that the NY Trads have anything to worry about. Seriously. He is also very theologically conservative. He stands by the theological and social teachings of the Church, and would do so unto death. He's no arch-heretic or secret free-mason so we'll have none of that.

However, Abp Dolan has done a few things of concern to me. For instance, he was a big student of Abp. O'Hara, who was a hardcore liberal, and he was also incahoots with Abp. May of St. Louis in "reforming" (actually, "deforming" would probably be a better word), the aforementioned diocesan Seminary. Abp. John May was a noted liberal who ran the entire archdiocese like a social services group.