Is explicit faith in our Lord necessary for salvation?
didishroom Wrote:But the Holy Office is not infallible.

Denzinger Wrote:1684 But, since it is a matter of that subjection by which in conscience all those Catholics are bound who work in the speculative sciences, in order that they may bring new advantages to the Church by their writings, on that account, then, the men of that same convention should recognize that it is not sufficient for learned Catholics to accept and revere the aforesaid dogmas of the Church, but that it is also necessary to subject themselves to the decisions pertaining to doctrine which are issued by the Pontifical Congregations, and also to those forms of doctrine which are held by the common and constant consent of Catholics as theological truths and conclusions, so certain that opinions opposed to these same forms of doctrine, although they cannot be called heretical, nevertheless deserve some theological censure.

http://www.catecheticsonline.com/SourcesofDogma17.php

Regardless of whether its infallible, you're still bound to submit to the teachings of Pontifical Congregations.
McNider Wrote:We know it takes supernatural faith to be saved. I always thought the content of such was open to debate, though. I've seen some theories that it can be as basic as a belief that God punishes the guilty and rewards the just. I've also seen folks say that it at least takes a belief in the Trinity.

In that case then most of the world will be saved, as most pagans hold that concept, and then all Protestants hold it. I think this discussion is a dangerous one, the catechism of the council of Trent answers a lot of questions, and should be consulted first, before discussions resume. But the common thread of Catholic belief is that one must believe and be baptized. That is the Catholic faith and I don't see productivity in questioning it. The matter should be left to those deemed competent to teach and philosophize on Catholic dogma, i.e. clerics and theologians.

Sanctifying grace is infused with the theological virtues of Faith, Hope, and Charity. Faith is a supernatural gift, not a mere bit of intellectual knowledge that can be acquired like the Feeneyites are treating it.  Man cannot know to what extent a soul cooperates with the disposition given it by God.