Archbishop Dolan Coming To New York
Archbp. Timothy Dolan has been selected by the Holy Father to take over the reins of the Archdiocese of New York. I know little about him except what I have read in the generally unreliable secular press. What I have read there and in other places, however, gives me no sense of joy or ease with this selection. The initial impression is that he is a crafty, "hail fellow well met," smiling, political, non-confrontational bishop who is a down the middle NO priest, and probably no friend of Tradition. A "no" vote on restriction of Holy Communion to pro-abortion politicians, he strikes me as a very mildly conservative Joseph Bernadine-type who will sidestep any difficult issues with a call for dialogue. In summation, I am concerned that he will prove to be a crushing disappointment for the most important See in the American Church.

Please tell me I am wrong.
I think we should give him a chance before we judge him. We have no idea how is going to run the Archdiocese, my bet he will both please and dissapoint us. Lets see how it goes 
I'm a native NYer and I can tell you that it's always hard to handicap an outsider (even an insider) to NYC. There are a lot of forces at play. There is a strong but sometimes disjointed Trad presence. So it's time to build.
MisterScrewtape Wrote:I'm a native NYer and I can tell you that it's always hard to handicap an outsider (even an insider) to NYC. There are a lot of forces at play. There is a strong but sometimes disjointed Trad presence. So it's time to build.

This is a very fair point.  Think of how NYC has "made" some greats and ruled others totally irrelevant.

Consider how awesome Larry Brown was until he met the Knicks catastrophe.  Or how Lou Pinnella went from a hot-headed player that no one thought could handle managerial duties to the 14th-all-time winningest managers in baseball... starting with the '86 Yankees.

Though it's an imperfect comparison, the episcopacy is not all that different.  A lot of people to lead, a lot of egos at work, a lot of headlines and press with which to deal, unrealistic expectations and hidden traps. 

Good luck and God bless His Excellency.
Speaking as a member of the Milwaukee Archdiocese, I can say that although he is not a very fiery and uppity man, he is not a liberal man. Theologically (at least) he is very conservative and has not been an outright enemy of the Latin Mass. In fact, Wisconsin has a fair amount of Latin Masses (mostly from the Latin Mass society and Institute of Christ the King Soverign Priest).

But I believe His Holiness chose the Most Reverende Archbishop Dolan because of his conservatism, and his handling of the issue of married priests (an issue about which he voiced a very conservative and honest opinion and action, reprimanding the priests who put out the petition) as well as woman priests and the child abuse scandal. All of which he handled gently but firmly and consistently. He might not be a pre-VatII style bishop but you take what you can get and pray that you can get more out of them.
[Image: com0209j.jpg]

His Excellency, Archbishop Dolan.[img]file:///C:/Users/Relus/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/img]
I've been giving this photo a lot of thought lately.  And I'll risk my fisheaters cred to say it, but here goes:

So?

I've heard excellent trad priests slip a little joke into the sermon.  Here you've got a new Archbishop named to a damaged and hurting diocese in the Weakland fallout.  A little levity is not out of line-- especially when giving one of his first public addresses introducing himself to his flock.  Maybe you are unaware of the Milwaukee's Archdiocese until Dolan got there?  Trust me, those Catholics needed a reason to smile.

It's not like he had a mitre made out of cheese or anything.  He set it on his head for a moment while making a little joke.  Carrot-top he is not, but it's a little goofy humor.  When did everyone secretly want to be Luigi?  Humor is not a sin.

(and Gondalus, stop reading Traditio.  It's Catholic trash.)
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:I've been giving this photo a lot of thought lately.  And I'll risk my fisheaters cred to say it, but here goes:

So?

I've heard excellent trad priests slip a little joke into the sermon.  Here you've got a new Archbishop named to a damaged and hurting diocese in the Weakland fallout.  A little levity is not out of line-- especially when giving one of his first public addresses introducing himself to his flock.  Maybe you are unaware of the Milwaukee's Archdiocese until Dolan got there?  Trust me, those Catholics needed a reason to smile.

It's not like he had a mitre made out of cheese or anything.  He set it on his head for a moment while making a little joke.  Carrot-top he is not, but it's a little goofy humor.  When did everyone secretly want to be Luigi?  Humor is not a sin.
gj, if the rest of the conciliar Church was cold, austere, strict, and uncompromising -- if even a fraction of it was -- then yeah, I might be the first in line to get a good chuckle out of it.  Given, however, that the situation is quite the opposite, with likely millions of souls having been lost to Hell forever that should have been saved, and many more on the horizon, I think it inappropriate.  I'm not saying this fellow is all bad -- I'm sure he's done good things.  But in a time when dogma is crumbling, when scores of supposedly Catholic prelates and priests, like Weakland, have made a mockery of God's laws(I refer to the rampant sodomy, not necessarily the cheese hat.), and when the "ordinary form" of the mass might've been crafted by Martin Luther himself, don't we need a little more strictness?  Is not this the time, if ever there was one, to run a tighter ship?  I disagree with you: the wake of Weakland's villainy was the time of times to demonstrate that the office(and by association, the Faith it teaches) was not void of its former dignity.  I think it is an opportunity missed.  The barque of Peter is sinking, Dolan's predecessor has been ousted for having sex with a man and paying him church money to keep quiet, and this guy busts out his cheese hat.  Nice.
Quote:(and Gondalus, stop reading Traditio.  It's Catholic trash.)
While they do push the line sometimes, I've found Traditio to have a wealth of informative material in their "Library of Files."  It's not like they peddle their message as unbiased, like the secular media does.  They come right out and say, "Hey, we plan to be arses about this."  I know it's taboo around here, but sheesh, all I did was reprint a picture.  Honestly, they look like tame housecats compared to some tyrannical fountains of calumny on this very website.  (*cough* newschoolman *cough*)

WanderingPenitent Wrote:Speaking as a member of the Milwaukee Archdiocese, I can say that although he is not a very fiery and uppity man, he is not a liberal man. Theologically (at least) he is very conservative and has not been an outright enemy of the Latin Mass. In fact, Wisconsin has a fair amount of Latin Masses (mostly from the Latin Mass society and Institute of Christ the King Soverign Priest).

But I believe His Holiness chose the Most Reverende Archbishop Dolan because of his conservatism, and his handling of the issue of married priests (an issue about which he voiced a very conservative and honest opinion and action, reprimanding the priests who put out the petition) as well as woman priests and the child abuse scandal. All of which he handled gently but firmly and consistently. He might not be a pre-VatII style bishop but you take what you can get and pray that you can get more out of them.

I live in the Diocese of Green Bay WI but have had a decent amount of contact with the Archdiocese of Milwaukee and I can say that I agree with this analysis.

I read a bit of a book on the priesthood by Archbishop Dolan and was delighted to see that he, in so many words, inferred how goofy and unorthodox the situation was in a lot of places within the Church during the 60s.

He's not Traditional, but he appears to be no enemy of the Latin Mass and is, at least, theologically orthodox.

He is an Archbishop of the Church who has no glaring heresies so he demands respect.   Everyone needs to give him that.
Gondalus Wrote:
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:I've been giving this photo a lot of thought lately.  And I'll risk my fisheaters cred to say it, but here goes:

So?

gj, if the rest of the conciliar Church was cold, austere, strict, and uncompromising -- if even a fraction of it was -- then yeah, I might be the first in line to get a good chuckle out of it.  Given, however, that the situation is quite the opposite, with likely millions of souls having been lost to Hell forever that should have been saved, and many more on the horizon, I think it inappropriate.  I'm not saying this fellow is all bad -- I'm sure he's done good things.  But in a time when dogma is crumbling, when scores of supposedly Catholic prelates and priests have made a mockery of God's laws(I refer to the rampant sodomy, not necessarily the cheese hat.), and when the "ordinary form" of the mass might've been crafted by Martin Luther himself, don't we need a little more strictness?  Is not this the time, if ever there was one, to run run a tighter ship?  The barque of Peter is sinking, and this guy busts out his cheese hat.  Nice.

Ah, I see.  You don't have the damnest idea about the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.  Luckily, ignorance is not a sin.  I'll trust you to stretch your google legs and find out about the Archbishop Weakland (tip: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Archbishop+Weakland, start right after His Excellency's own neglected website). You see, if Nero fiddled while Rome burned, then Weakland dumped gasoline.  It left a flock that did not trust its shepherd-- he was destroying churches, he was the meddler-in-chief of the biggest pederastery ring in Midwestern America, he was an enemy of trads, neo-cons, libs and fly-by-night Catholics in one of the biggest Catholic dioceses this side of Chicago.

Archbishop Dolan walked into a See that distrusted its authority, didn't know who to trust, didn't know who was the enemy.  And in a moment of levity, in a moment of pastoral care, he put a rubber cheese wedge on his head.  The lesson was simple:

I'm here to be a good shepherd.

It would have been poor timing to speak about Dogma or Martin Luther.  It was time to be the Father to a hurting diocese.  One day you may hold a child in your arms who has been hurt-- maybe your future son gets throttled by a bully or your future daughter ends up the butt of her peers' jeers.  It'll happen.  And when you are this future father, you'll hold that child in your arms and comfort them.  You might even tell them a little joke.  You'll tell them that it'll be okay and that it won't be bad forever.

Save me your vitriol.  The man didn't offer Holy Mass wearing a cheesehat. 

Calumny is a sin.