Archbishop Dolan Coming To New York
Quote: tyrannical fountains of calumny
 Where was I for that? Sounds interesting.....
P.S. How do you have a tyrannical fountain?
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:Ah, I see.  You don't have the damnest idea about the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.  Luckily, ignorance is not a sin.  I'll trust you to stretch your google legs and find out about the Archbishop Weakland (tip: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Archbishop+Weakland, start right after His Excellency's own neglected website). You see, if Nero fiddled while Rome burned, then Weakland dumped gasoline.  It left a flock that did not trust its shepherd-- he was destroying churches, he was the meddler-in-chief of the biggest pederastery ring in Midwestern America, he was an enemy of trads, neo-cons, libs and fly-by-night Catholics in one of the biggest Catholic dioceses this side of Chicago.

Archbishop Dolan walked into a See that distrusted its authority, didn't know who to trust, didn't know who was the enemy.  And in a moment of levity, in a moment of pastoral care, he put a rubber cheese wedge on his head.  The lesson was simple:

I'm here to be a good shepherd.

It would have been poor timing to speak about Dogma or Martin Luther.  It was time to be the Father to a hurting diocese.  One day you may hold a child in your arms who has been hurt-- maybe your future son gets throttled by a bully or your future daughter ends up the butt of her peers' jeers.  It'll happen.  And when you are this future father, you'll hold that child in your arms and comfort them.  You might even tell them a little joke.  You'll tell them that it'll be okay and that it won't be bad forever.
Bravo.  How poetic!  I'm not gonna cry, I'm not! 

Despite your moving words, I'm still taking the hard line on this one.  This isn't Dr. Phil.  Ideally, despite how funny I may find them, bishops shouldn't wear such things at any time.  Objectively, some things should not be done, however dramatic the circumstances that surround them may be.  Among these things, "Archbishop wearing a wedge of cheese on his head" is one, right under "placing a live penguin in the microwave."

Quote:Save me your vitriol.  The man didn't offer Holy Mass wearing a cheesehat. 

Vitriol?  I'm not bitter or angry about this, just analytical.  Clearly I don't have as much invested in this as you seem to, but maybe that plays in my favor.  Wrong is wrong is wrong.  Bishops should not wear cheese hats.  If you want to start a debate about that, I guess we could.

Quote:Calumny is a sin.
True enough.  Your irony is wasted, however.  It's only calumny if what is spoken is untrue. 

Lighten up, gj!  One would think I was trying to kidnap your family or something.

Anastasia Wrote:
Quote: tyrannical fountains of calumny
 Where was I for that? Sounds interesting.....
It's an ongoing thing he has against the SSPX.  Mostly trying to paint the whole lot as anti-semites(whatever that means these days).  I try not to read his topics anymore, for the sake of (the last vestiges of) my sanity.

Quote:P.S. How do you have a tyrannical fountain?
Dunno exactly.  Maybe it shoots water only when it wants to, or only when ducks swim overhead.  Or maybe it's a fountain with its own agenda that abuses its power to post on fisheaters.  [Image: laff.gif]

Gondalus Wrote:Bishops should not wear cheese hats.  If you want to start a debate about that, I guess we could.

Bishops may wear cheesehats.  I just checked the Code of Canon Law and the Baltimore Catechism.  Green light on the cheesehats.
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
Gondalus Wrote:Bishops should not wear cheese hats.  If you want to start a debate about that, I guess we could.

Bishops may wear cheesehats.  I just checked the Code of Canon Law and the Baltimore Catechism.  Green light on the cheesehats.
[Image: laff.gif] Actually, it wouldn't surprise me to find those very words written in some modern catechism.
Archbishop Dolan was the former rector of the North American College (NAC) in Rome where a lot of premiere North American seminarians go to study.

I became familiar with him through reading "The New Men" quite a while ago. It is a touching story written by a journalist who was given full access to the NAC for one year to record what he saw. He tells the stories of the seminarians in one particular class. He describes them arriving and then gradually tells stories about teir pasts, how they first realized they were called to the priesthood. Then he observes their conversations, fears, triumphs, joys, disappointments, etc. throughout their first year at the NAC. Archbishop Dolan was Father Dolan then and was rector. He's in the book as well and depicted very favorably. If any of you want a good read I'd recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Men-Brian-Murp...1573226998

Also to find out about Archbishop Dolan's view of the priesthood, Church, and the world I'd recommend his book dedicated to priests written after his time as rector of the NAC.

http://www.amazon.com/Priests-Third-Millennium-Timothy-Dolan/dp/0879733195/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235510740&sr=1-7

From my reading of The New Men and parts of his own book, I think Archbishop Dolan is doctrinally very orthodox, but part of his demeanor and approach, having been rector leading so many discerning souls in the seminary is that you need to have a gentle and loving hand.

In the New Men he challenged the new seminarians upon their arrival, telling them that they had a lot to live up to as they were the face of the Church to the world. When the book was written the pedophilia scandal had just broken, and he emphased to them that they would be judged by a higher standard and must set the example and be willing to die for the faith.
'ARCHBISHOP' DOLAN'S CHEESEHEAD HOMILY
http://www.novusordowatch.org/cheesehead.htm

[Image: cheesehead.jpg]

"Archbishop Timothy Dolan offered a Mass outdoors on September 8, 2002, which also happened to be the opening day of the NFL season. The Packers were playing the Atlanta Falcons at Lambeau Field in Green Bay at the same time. Dolan had just been installed as Archbishop of Milwaukee a week and a half earlier. At the start of his homily, he pulled out a cheesehead and briefly wore it while stating that although he had been living in St. Louis, he is originally from Milwaukee and he knows how important the Packers are to the people of Wisconsin. He made a comment about still being a Cardinals fan in baseball but wanted to assure everyone when it came to football he is a Packers fan. The people got a laugh out of it."

NOW Comments: This comes from a defense of his actions on the Catholic Answers Forums site and was meant to deflect criticism, such as found on Traditio, where it is included in a photo gallery as "'Cheesehead' Mess in which the performer of the Mess wears a mitre of cheddar cheese." (See Novus Ordo Service Photo Gallery and scroll down). The point of Dolan's defender is that he wasn't doing anything so bad as offering Mass in such ridiculous garb, merely giving a homily and even, then, only at the beginning. And guess what? No one was scandalized, in fact, those in attendance "got a laugh out of it." And if they get a laugh, how can it be so bad. Never mind that the man is supposed to be representing Christ and that he makes a mockery of what is supposed to be something holy. Let's not forget that while he may not have been wearing the ludicrous headgear in the midst of celebrating the "Mass," still the homily is something that is given during the service, so for all intents and purposes the sacrilege is the largely the same, either way. Do we think that Dolan deliberately is making a mockery? Not necessarily, because the now middle aged generation of clerics have largely been schooled in post-Vatican II seminaries where one must speak not of the formation of a vocation, but its deformation. His yuck-yuck moment is consistent with the casual, informal, even irreverent liturgical style that points not to worship, but "fellowship." For a true bishop to engage in such buffoonery would always be considered beneath the dignity of his station as a shepherd of souls, as a successor to the Apostles, but nowhere more so than in the sanctuary while a Mass was being offered. That the Catholic Answers people, who are supposed to uphold the orthodox Catholic position on issues, would defend this shows to what a level the notion of the episcopacy has sunk within the ranks of the Novus Ordo church.
Irenaeus Wrote:'ARCHBISHOP' DOLAN'S CHEESEHEAD HOMILY
http://www.novusordowatch.org/cheesehead.htm

[Image: cheesehead.jpg]

"Archbishop Timothy Dolan offered a Mass outdoors on September 8, 2002, which also happened to be the opening day of the NFL season. The Packers were playing the Atlanta Falcons at Lambeau Field in Green Bay at the same time. Dolan had just been installed as Archbishop of Milwaukee a week and a half earlier. At the start of his homily, he pulled out a cheesehead and briefly wore it while stating that although he had been living in St. Louis, he is originally from Milwaukee and he knows how important the Packers are to the people of Wisconsin. He made a comment about still being a Cardinals fan in baseball but wanted to assure everyone when it came to football he is a Packers fan. The people got a laugh out of it."

NOW Comments: This comes from a defense of his actions on the Catholic Answers Forums site and was meant to deflect criticism, such as found on Traditio, where it is included in a photo gallery as "'Cheesehead' Mess in which the performer of the Mess wears a mitre of cheddar cheese." (See Novus Ordo Service Photo Gallery and scroll down). The point of Dolan's defender is that he wasn't doing anything so bad as offering Mass in such ridiculous garb, merely giving a homily and even, then, only at the beginning. And guess what? No one was scandalized, in fact, those in attendance "got a laugh out of it." And if they get a laugh, how can it be so bad. Never mind that the man is supposed to be representing Christ and that he makes a mockery of what is supposed to be something holy. Let's not forget that while he may not have been wearing the ludicrous headgear in the midst of celebrating the "Mass," still the homily is something that is given during the service, so for all intents and purposes the sacrilege is the largely the same, either way. Do we think that Dolan deliberately is making a mockery? Not necessarily, because the now middle aged generation of clerics have largely been schooled in post-Vatican II seminaries where one must speak not of the formation of a vocation, but its deformation. His yuck-yuck moment is consistent with the casual, informal, even irreverent liturgical style that points not to worship, but "fellowship." For a true bishop to engage in such buffoonery would always be considered beneath the dignity of his station as a shepherd of souls, as a successor to the Apostles, but nowhere more so than in the sanctuary while a Mass was being offered. That the Catholic Answers people, who are supposed to uphold the orthodox Catholic position on issues, would defend this shows to what a level the notion of the episcopacy has sunk within the ranks of the Novus Ordo church.

Have you ever heard a joke in a traditional sermon?  If the answer is yes, then your whole cut-and-paste post is moot.
It does make us all look a bit petty to be belabouring this point of cheesehead-wearing during Mass. There are more important things to complain about.

Let's move on.

WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:Have you ever heard a joke in a traditional sermon?

That doesn't mean it's appropriate. Did Jesus or the Apostles crack silly jokes while preaching?

I was hoping the next NY Abp. would be a "rock of conservatism". Instead we have a somewhat conservative "cheesehead".