Archbishop Dolan Coming To New York
Irenaeus Wrote:
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:Have you ever heard a joke in a traditional sermon?

That doesn't mean it's appropriate. Did Jesus or the Apostles crack silly jokes while preaching?

I was hoping the next NY Abp. would be a "rock of conservatism". Instead we have a somewhat conservative "cheesehead".

Well Jesus was fond of telling stories in his sermons.  Also, how do you know that HE didn't tell jokes.  Are there not many things which Jesus said and did which are not written down?  HE seemed to like having a good time with going to weddings, and eating over peoples houses (along with multiplying loaves and fishes for his flock).

Bob
Robb Wrote:Well Jesus was fond of telling stories in his sermons.  Also, how do you know that HE didn't tell jokes.  Are there not many things which Jesus said and did which are not written down?  HE seemed to like having a good time with going to weddings, and eating over peoples houses (along with multiplying loaves and fishes for his flock).

I've never read in the writings of mystics such as, Anne Catherine Emmerich, that, Jesus ever cracked jokes in the Temple or anywhere else.

Is the Mass truly holy and sacred, or not?
I'm certainly glad there's no one following me around with a camera taking candid photos of me. Otherwise I'd be haunted for the rest of my life by one photo of an ill-conceived misstep and be forever judged by it.

OK, maybe two photos. :sneaky:
Well, Our Lord was fond of a good play on words; St Peter "the Rock" comes to mind. And referring to Sts. James and John as the "sons of thunder" when were being somewhat hotheaded.
DrBombay Wrote:I'm certainly glad there's no one following me around with a camera taking candid photos of me. Otherwise I'd be haunted for the rest of my life by one photo of an ill-conceived misstep and be forever judged by it.

The photo reveals his attitude towards the liturgy, which shows he doesn't take it all that seriously. Faith in the Eucharist will continue to be weak in the NO until, the priests begin to show the utmost reverence during Holy Mass.
[Image: front022409.jpg] 

The fact that he donned a cheese head at the beginning of one homily does not show what he is truly made of.  Like Pope JP II kissing the koran in 1986, it is time to get over it. Was it entirely appropriate? Maybe not but that does not mean that the Archbishop does clown masses as a follow up.

New Yorkers seem excited. Priests who had him as rector say very good things about him.  He might just be what is needed at this time; he should draw men to the holy priesthood. I have heard him on tape speak on the priesthood and it is an excellent talk.

Let us not be so quick to bash.  OK, he is not one of the 16 who said they will refuse to give Holy Communion to a pro-abort pol. But his stance is pro-life all the way to that point.

Maybe a  man of joy in his priesthood will be a wonderful thing. Maybe that joy will soften hearts and get them to listen to the truth.  St. Francis de Sales said one catches more flys with honey than vinegar.  Let us wish Abp. Dolan well and may he prove very successful in NYC.  I hope he will advance the TLM and be sure it is offered at the seminary.  May his good will draw some of the millions of ex-Catholics back into the fold. Let us see what love can do.
Irenaeus Wrote:
DrBombay Wrote:I'm certainly glad there's no one following me around with a camera taking candid photos of me. Otherwise I'd be haunted for the rest of my life by one photo of an ill-conceived misstep and be forever judged by it.

The photo reveals his attitude towards the liturgy, which shows he doesn't take it all that seriously. Faith in the Eucharist will continue to be weak in the NO until, the priests begin to show the utmost reverence during Holy Mass.

Hotspur Wrote:...Due to the utter proliferation of douchebaggery on this forum...

Yeah, what he said.
Um, okay.

I do not think that the Archbishop should have worn the hat during Mass. 

HOWEVER, you must realize that in Wisconsin the cheesehat has virtually become the heraldic crest of the state.  And yes, it is the object of self-deprecating humor, a quality closely related to humility.  Yes, the Archbishop got a laugh.  However, the point of the joke was to say, "I'm one of you.  I am all things to all men.  I am a Packer (i.e. Milwaukeean) pastor to a Packer (i.e. Milwaukeean) flock."  And before someone says that this is sports and frivolous, no, no, no.  It is Wisconsinite patriotism to be a Packers fan.  I wish the bishop had donned the hat outside of Mass, but I think it is a gross overstatement to say that he never should have donned the hat under any circumstance. 

I attended a talk on vocations that Archb. Dolan gave at Marquette University.  During the talk, he took a sip of water and then said that it was weaker than Miller.  That was a joke at the expense of Milwaukee beer by a man who had just come to Milwaukee from the rival beer town of St. Louis.

I believe that when Our Lord spoke of the Pharisees straining at gnats and swallowing camels, some people had to have laughed.  It's a preposterous image.  So I think it is fair to call that a joke with a point.
"I was hoping the next NY Abp. would be a "rock of conservatism". Instead we have a somewhat conservative "cheesehead"."

[img]/images/boards/smilies/nono.gif[/img]  For your information, the epithet "cheesehead" is a badge of honor for Wisconsinites.  Cheesehead=Wisconsinite.  Cheeseheads are proud of coming from the Dairy State.  To use the word as a pejorative as you seem to be doing is the equivalent of using "New Yorker" or "Bostoner" as an insult. 
Alllll I can say is, "The cheese stands alone, the cheese stands alone. Everybody's wacthin' now, the cheese stands alone." La, la, la ,la, la ,la, la, la , la, la, la...

Edited to add: At least he's got an Irish name.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.