Emergency: How do I explain Lent in simple terms, to a crazy "prot"?
I need help here.  She said "she'd marry me tomorrow" if I could show her something biblical about Lent....

Not that I'd say "I do" to a Prot, but anyway....
Christ spent forty days in the desert fasting before He started His ministry.

I she too good for that?
Forty days of the flood that wiped sin from the earth (just as water washes away sin at baptism).

Moses on Mount Sinai for forty days receiving the Law.

The children of Israel wandering forty years in the desert before entering the Promised Land.
Christ fasting in the wilderness forty days before beginning His public ministry.

Christ appearing to His apostles for forty days between the Resurrection and the Ascension.

Tell your friend that the number "forty" is symbolic in the Bible. It always precedes an event that changes everything. It symbolizes a crossing over from death to life .. a new beginning.. a NEW LIFE.. like the new life that Noah and his family began after sinful mankind had been destroyed by the flood. Like the new life that the Israelites began after Moses came down with the Ten Commandments. Christ gave us NEW LIFE in His life, death, resurrection and ascension. The early Church adopted the "forty days" for the journey into new life that the catechumens would receive when baptized at the Easter Vigil, and soon made it a period of purification, penance, and preparation for the Paschal Mysteries for all Christians.

- Lisa
Though it sounds cliche in Catholic circles, it really is worth asking your friend where in the Bible it says everything a Christian needs to believe must be in the Bible.

To answer her question: Christ fasted in preparation for His ministry for forty days. The Prophet Moses did the same before his mission. Fasting and penance make regular appearances in Scripture.

Like Christ before His ministry, the Christian fasts not only to identify with the Passion, but also to purify ourselves for ourselves before our Baptismal re-commitment. In its own way, such as re-commitment is a way to prepare for our own ministry: to bring Christ to others (a call for all Catholics, mind you). As such we prepare by fasting and mortification.
She doesn't sound ready to accept it.  Sounds like she is picking a fight with you.
No, she's a good friend who is an African-American baptist, and I don't have the heart to come out and tell her slave owners were not Catholic, therfore she and her family were not.
Look at tomorrow's gospel:

Jesus said to his disciples:
"...When you fast,
do not look gloomy like the hypocrites.
They neglect their appearance,
so that they may appear to others to be fasting.
Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.
But when you fast,
anoint your head and wash your face,
so that you may not appear to be fasting,
except to your Father who is hidden.
And your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you."

You will notice that Christ did not say "if you fast", he said "when you fast."

Lent is Biblical...If it was good enough for the Lord, then it is good enough for me.

Good luck...I wish you a happy marriage.

SaintAndrew Wrote:No, she's a good friend who is an African-American baptist, and I don't have the heart to come out and tell her slave owners were not Catholic, therfore she and her family were not.

Some were, most weren't. Maybe you can tell her that blacks enslaved whites in the early middle ages, that blacks enslaved other blacks, that Cherokee chiefs had Negro slaves, that Mexican nobility did too, that children in Asia are sold into slavery everyday, that Arabs are enslaving blacks in Sudan at this moment, that English land owners owned Irish indentured servants, that we are now all slaves to the Jewish bankers, etc.

Tell her being Catholic means joyfully being a slave to the Immaculate Heart.
SaintAndrew Wrote:I need help here.  She said "she'd marry me tomorrow" if I could show her something biblical about Lent....

Having come from that life and knowing a little about their typically emotional attachment to any aspect of Christianity I would say that wisdom is the better part of valor and don't prolong the argument.   A great deal of protestants are so enraged against the church that your argument is really and truly "pearls before swine".  Should the opportunity come up it will be because there's genuine interest in the church as I had or some other more prudent way of getting them really interested in the faith.

Best of luck to you and my God pour grace into your "prots" soul.
SaintAndrew Wrote:I need help here.  She said "she'd marry me tomorrow" if I could show her something biblical about Lent....

Answer it with a question:

"What is not Biblical about 40 days of fasting and penance?"

Don't argue the point, just say that.