Early Depictions of Short Haired Clean Shaven Christ
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/...rrors.html 
Quote: "He has a long-haired Jesus ... Jesus didn't have long hair," said physical anthropologist Joe Zias, who has studied hundreds of skeletons found in archaeological digs in Jerusalem. "Jewish men back in antiquity did not have long hair." "The Jewish texts ridiculed long hair as something Roman or Greek," said New York University's Lawrence Schiffman.  Along with extensive writings from the period, experts also point to a frieze on Rome's Arch of Titus, erected after Jerusalem was captured in AD 70 to celebrate the victory, which shows Jewish men with short hair taken into captivity. Erroneous depictions of Jesus in Western art have often misled film makers in their portrayal of Jesus, experts said.
ONeill Wrote:
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:The closest that anyone's going to get to a real image is the shroud... which is kind of indeterminate evidence of beardity if you ask me.

Actually, Church approved apparitions are the closest :) All images from Church approved apparitions of Christ as an adult have him portrayed as a man with long hair (at least to shoulders, as it is only the front that is seen) and a beard.

You're belaboring the point... and my response continues that belaborment... but the apparations are not documented images.  At best, they would have been artistic interpretations of descriptions of the apparations.  The images still rely on the opinion of the artist.
In Ethiopian art, Christ is curiously depicted as a black man. Think they're onto something?
Magnus: pay attention.  You haven't answered this question:

What's your point?
StevusMagnus Wrote:http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/...rrors.html 
Quote: "He has a long-haired Jesus ... Jesus didn't have long hair," said physical anthropologist Joe Zias, who has studied hundreds of skeletons found in archaeological digs in Jerusalem. "Jewish men back in antiquity did not have long hair." "The Jewish texts ridiculed long hair as something Roman or Greek," said New York University's Lawrence Schiffman.  Along with extensive writings from the period, experts also point to a frieze on Rome's Arch of Titus, erected after Jerusalem was captured in AD 70 to celebrate the victory, which shows Jewish men with short hair taken into captivity. Erroneous depictions of Jesus in Western art have often misled film makers in their portrayal of Jesus, experts said.

He judges hair length from skeletons?

Also, Jesus was not the normal Jew. Look at how the holiest of Jews looked. Long hair, beards.

I also see modern analysts saying Jesus was married to Mary and that Mary was not a virgin (two different Marys here). I tend to suppor the Church's traditions and the testimony of Church approved apparitions rather than the 50's mentality trying to impose itself on God. Remember, men had pony tails as the norm until quite recently.
We all know the depictions of Christ with a beard and long hair, but that depiction was not common until the 6th century in the East and later on in the West.

The point is that I'm interested to discover alternate depictions of Christ, especially in early Christian antiquity that give us an alternate view.

There is evidence that shorter hair was the custom for Jews at the time as well as Romans. In addition, St. Paul visited the Christians in Rome and no doubt would have made known what Jesus looked like per his vision and also conversations with the apostles.

In addition later depictions of Christ with a beard and long hair merely imitated the practice in the East in the 6th century. So you can't have it both ways.

Nobody knows for certain what Christ looked like. However it is interesting to me to discover alternate early depictions of Christ that are not what we have today.

O'Neill, you love to bring up historical counter-examples of prevailing modern customs, so I figure you would be very interested in these early Christian depictions.
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:Magnus: pay attention.  You haven't answered this question:

What's your point?

Look at his avatar, his distaste for men sporting long hair and his love of Leave-it-to-Beaver culture. What do you think his point is?
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: The images still rely on the opinion of the artist.

As do all long haired and bearded images.
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:Magnus: pay attention.  You haven't answered this question:

What's your point?

The point is that Stevus is absolutely obsessed with what everyone else is wearing and what kind of hair they have.  I don't know why it irks him so much that the Church actually doesn't expect everyone to look the same.
ONeill Wrote:Also, Jesus was not the normal Jew. Look at how the holiest of Jews looked. Long hair, beards.
There is no evidence that Jesus looked any different from the male Jews of his day. Otherwise Judas would not have had to identify Him with a kiss.

Quote: I tend to suppor the Church's traditions and the testimony of Church approved apparitions rather than the 50's mentality trying to impose itself on God.

Wow, the early Christians were trying to impose a 50's mentality on God! [Image: laff.gif]
If they only knew! ;)

And there is no big T Church Tradition that says Christ had long hair and a beard. In fact, as I have shown, there are multiple depictions of what He looked like.