Early Depictions of Short Haired Clean Shaven Christ
ErinIsNice Wrote:The point is that Stevus is absolutely obsessed with what everyone else is wearing and what kind of hair they have.  I don't know why it irks him so much that the Church actually doesn't expect everyone to look the same.

Erin, thank you for reading my soul and intentions!

HK posts a myriad of threads having to do with hairstyles and fashions in conrast to modern times, and I start one thread on alternate depictions of Christ's appearance through history, and I'm obsessed and irked! ;)

As I said, I think it is interesting that the depiction of Christ with a beard and long hair is just one depiction that was made popular after the 6th century and that a majority of early depictions are of a man with short hair and no beard.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else can find similar images. If so please post!
I've always assumed images along the lines of Christ-as-shepherd were allegorical representations. Just as painting a lamb to signify Christ is not a portrayal of Christ, so does a painting of a Roman shepherd signify Christ's ministry and person without constituting portrayal.

Of course, some modern revisionist historians argue just that for the long-haired Christ. It originated, they say, in the representation of Christ-as-philosopher, bearded and long-haired after the manner of Hellenistic sages. Or perhaps a pagan high priest.

Me, personally, I buy into all the "legendary" stuff: true icons, apparitions, statues that come to life, the Veil of Veronica, the Shroud.
StevusMagnus Wrote:O'Neill, you love to bring up historical counter-examples of prevailing modern customs, so I figure you would be very interested in these early Christian depictions.

I am familiar with the customs of those days. I'm also familiar with the common depictions of Jesus (and others) as being like the people who drew them.

I go by what is divinely revealed, even if we are not bound to believe in them. Jesus is by these solid accounts a middle eastern Man with longish hair and a beard. He is not a baby faced european, He is not a body builder (but by all accounts physicall fit and capable), He is not a black person, He is not a Roman or typical Jew. He may have for much of His life dressed in the typical Jewish fashion, but for His ministry (3 years), He most certainly would have held to the traditional Jewish...traditions of not shaving or cutting His hair as would many who followed Him.

What would you look like after three years of dedicated public ministry and constant travel? He commanded those who followed Him to not carry extra food or coat and to not plan ahead for their means but to focus on their mission. Do you honestly think He sat down to shave and get a trim during all this?
4th century: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Christ_with_beard.jpg
Cyriacus Wrote:In Ethiopian art, Christ is curiously depicted as a black man. Think they're onto something?

Are you sure?  In the Ethiopian icons I've seen, Christ, his Mother and the Apostles are depicted as white, but the angels are depicted as black (or, to be more precise, Ethiopian). 
ONeill Wrote:He most certainly would have held to the traditional Jewish...traditions of not shaving or cutting His hair as would many who followed Him.
This is not true. There was no common Jewish tradition in Jesus' time of not shaving and cutting one's hair. Only those who took a Nazarite vow refused to cut their hair. The vow was only taken for a period of time and at the end the person shaved their head. During that time they could drink no wine nor touch dead bodies. Jesus did both. 
spasiisochrani Wrote:
Cyriacus Wrote:In Ethiopian art, Christ is curiously depicted as a black man. Think they're onto something?

Are you sure?  In the Ethiopian icons I've seen, Christ, his Mother and the Apostles are depicted as white, but the angels are depicted as black (or, to be more precise, Ethiopian). 

[Image: triptych-with-virgin-and-child2_new.jpg]

Yep!

Edit: There does seem to be some variation! How beautiful and complex the Ethiopian tradition.
ONeill Wrote:4th century: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Christ_with_beard.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Christ_with_beard.jpg [/QUOTE[/url]][/QUOTE]

Here's the summary underneath:

Quote:
Mural painting from the catacomb of Commodilla. Bust of Christ. This is one of first bearded images of Christ, during the 4th century Jesus was beginning to be depicted as older and bearded, in contrast to earlier Christian art, which usually showed a young and clean-shaven Jesus.

StevusMagnus Wrote:
ONeill Wrote:4th century: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Christ_with_beard.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Christ_with_beard.jpg [/QUOTE[/url]]

Here's the summary underneath:

Quote:
Mural painting from the catacomb of Commodilla. Bust of Christ. This is one of first bearded images of Christ, during the 4th century Jesus was beginning to be depicted as older and bearded, in contrast to earlier Christian art, which usually showed a young and clean-shaven Jesus.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I read it.

[Image: wand.jpg]
Raising Lazarus, miracle at Cana, multiplication of loaves, and the widow's son