Early Depictions of Short Haired Clean Shaven Christ
All I see from these different versions is evidence that hairstyle doesn't define a Catholic but resides in culture.

If one wants to argue that Jesus had short hair because Jews of his time had short hair, then one is arguing Jesus' hair is based on culture not religious commandment.  Same with the beard or lack thereof, especially because, AFAIK, old testament Jews were required to have beards.  And the same argument goes for the pictures.

I don't recall the Church condemning pictures of Christ with long or short hair, beard or no beard.  Apparently the Church has been fine with both - in fact, the only real limitation on that stuff from the Church was applied to clerics, not laity.

Apparently the only ones obsessed with hair length making one Catholic or less-than-Catholic are post V2 traditionalists with a 1950's-only view of Catholicism.  History shows the Church and other Catholics had no problems with hair-dos.
A hairstyle doesn't necessarily "define" a Catholic. I suppose clothes don't either. Just because a girl wears immodest clothing doesn't somehow void her baptism. I know of noone who makes this argument.

However hairstyles of Catholics do need to be consistent with Church teaching & morality. Cultural norms do have a role in how Church teaching is appied in a given time and culture. However we've already belabored this point in other threads. My pupose here was to gather early depictions of a beardless short haired Christ. I suppose a secondary point is that there are mutiple depictions of Christ, the earliest being of Christ without a beard or long hair. As you've stated, apparently the Church is fine with both.

Quote:Apparently the only ones obsessed with hair length making one Catholic or less-than-Catholic are post V2 traditionalists with a 1950's-only view of Catholicism.

Obviously you are directing this comment at me, though for some reason you don't use my name. Correct?

In any case, I'd like the thread to stick to the arguments if possible and not turn into personal judgments.

Quote:History shows the Church and other Catholics had no problems with hair-dos.

I'm pretty sure you'll find various different times in history where the Church, priests, Bishops, etc. wrote regarding hairstyles and dress of the times.
didishroom Wrote:It also looks like He's on steroids.

Ah, my friend, you've never been to the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

[Image: Majesty.jpg]

It's difficult to do this work justice as a picture. It's hugh in real life.

Stevus, you still fail to adress the point of the Shroud. Jesus has long hair and a beard.
Quote:
Ah, my friend, you've never been to the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.
He looks like Carrot Top. Eee gah!

[Image: showguide_carrottop.jpg]
[Image: carrot-top-400a052307.jpg]
didishroom Wrote:Stevus, you still fail to adress the point of the Shroud. Jesus has long hair and a beard.

There is nothing to address, unless the Church has made belief in the authenticity of the shroud a matter of faith.
So let me get this straight?

You're taking for granted what some historians have said on the dress of Jesus over the depiction that the Church has delcared to be authentic for over a millenia? The shroud which Crusaders fought battles over and saints venerated? This you're throwing at the window because we are not bound to believe it?

We are not bound to believe Fatima or Lourdes or LaSalette or Archbishop Lefebvre but everyone takes them for granted as authorities that are rarely if ever disputed.

You're priorities are really screwy, man.
StevusMagnus Wrote:HK posts a myriad of threads having to do with hairstyles and fashions in conrast to modern times, and I start one thread on alternate depictions of Christ's appearance through history, and I'm obsessed and irked! ;)

Don't mention me in passing reference. Thank you.

But everyone knows I'm "obsessed" with period dress. You're not special in that department.

Telemaque Wrote:This is the new breed of "Catholic historian" we have to look forward to.

Obsessed with denying that a Christian society once checked behavior. Obsessed with period costumes.

That being said, I find the early depictions of Christ fascinating. Depictions of Christ tend to be heavily influenced by the local culture, even with the Shroud of Turin considered. There are plenty of images of Jesus with Renaissance garb, clean-shaven with long curly locks of gold. Or as a Negro. Or a Roman. Whatever.

I'm going to look into what Flavius Josephus said about Jewish hair later on when I have the time. He tends to be cited by Jehovah's Witnesses, a sect that believes drawing Christ with long hair is sinful and thus always shows Him with closely cropped hair in their tracts and magazines. Of course, they have many weird ideas.... like Christ being nailed to a stake, not a cross. But did you know that my very first book about the Bible drew Christ on a stake? So I actually spent the first few years of my life thinking that was how He died.

Also, the Shroud of Turin is not bound to Christian belief, just as Fatima or any other apparition isn't.
Stevus, I found that little list you copied and pasted with the catacombs depicting Jesus with short hair. Did you just google Jesus and clean shaven and pick the first thing you saw?
This same website said Jesus was also unnattractive, basing this on a passage in the psalms which was describing His face during the passion, not His regular appearance.  
Yes I found what I was referrencing before. I apologize. It wasn't Josephus but the Roman Publius Lentulus, who wrote the following in a letter to the Roman Senate:

In those days there appeared a young man, who is still living, a youth that has great power and whose name is Jesus Christ. The populace calls Him a strong prophet and His disciples call Him, Son of God. He raised the dead to life; and cures the sick of every type of disease. The youth is tall but well proportioned. The countenance of His face is both serious and active, so that those who look at Him love Him, and yet in another ways, they are afraid of Him. The hair on His head is the color of wine down to the beginning of His ears, lacking brilliance. It is smooth from the beginning of His ears to His shoulders, then twisted and brilliant from the shoulders down, where it hangs divided according to the customs of the Nazarenes. His forehead is smooth and clean, His face without blemish decorated with a light pink color. His appearance is polite and joyful, His nose and mouth are altogether blameless. His beard is thick being of the same color of His hair, and is also divided in two, while His eyes are blue and filled with extreme brilliance. When He scolds He is fearful; when He teaches and advises, He is attractive and beloved. Wonder is the grace of His face and dignified. Not once was He seen laughing, but He was often seen crying. According to the height of His body, His hands being very straight and His arms graceful, and according to His generation, He is the nicest of all men.

Now let me share with you what St. Nicodemos the Hagiorite (1749-1809), in "A Handbook of Spiritual Counsel of Western Spirituality Proper Delights of the Mind", addresses the great delight of envisioning the physical appearance of Christ.
Think of those most pure eyes of Jesus, so calm, so sweet; the straightness of His nose; the somewhat chestnut-colored and at the same time golden hair and beard of His; His great and joyous forehead; the blended color of His calm and royal face; His fine long fingers and his perfectly shaped hands; His moderate stature, and simply all of the other symmetry and grace, which shone in all His members. Jesus was so beautiful that, as Lentulus (Lantoulos), that officer who had seen the Lord with his own eyes in Jerusalem, wrote to the senate in Rome, there has never appeared on earth another person more beautiful than Jesus. Foreseeing this beauty, prophet David wrote: "You are the most beautiful of the sons of men" (Psalm 45:2). Aquila rendered this line, "You are adorned with beauty by the sons of men." Symnmachus rendered it, "Among the sons of men You are good in beauty." The bride in the Song speaks lovingly to Him: "Behold, You are beautiful, my beloved, truly lovely (Song 1:16). This is why the people could not be satisfied when looking upon Him, nor did they want to take their attention away from Him.