Summorum Pontificum & new prefaces
StevusMagnus Wrote:Was belief that St. Christopher was a Saint infallible? According to Didi, Pope Paul VI took him out of the calendar.

Being on the liturgical calendar and being a canonized Saint are two different things--there are plenty of Saints without mandatory memorials on the universal calendar. Changing the calendar to include some new saints, but not include some older ones should not be considered some sort of unsainting. They are still in the Roman Martyrology.

The original post asked about prefaces (see below).  If anyone could answer those questions, it would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

In the letter accompanying Summorum Pontificum, Pope Benedict XVI says that new Saints and some of the new Prefaces can and should be inserted in the old Missal.
I understand the need to add saints (e.g., Pio), but why new Prefaces?  The 19 Prefaces in the 1962 Missal cover a wide range.  Why is there a need for more prefaces?  What's lacking?

Also, the 1945 Saint Andrew Daily Missal has 15 Prefaces, so 4 were added in 1962: Advent, Most Holy Sacrament, All Saints and the Most Holy Patrons, Dedication of a Church.  Why were those added?  If they weren't needed for the previous few centuries, why did they need to be added? 

didishroom Wrote:He didn't write that. It's from the American SSPX web page's FAQs.
Sorry, I forgot that some Americans can't use their heads. For those who struggling to understand what I ment when I wrote
Quote:Thanks Stevus, that was well written.

I meant -
willnowspeakevenslower Wrote:Thanks stevus, that article copied from the sspx website was well written by the author who wrote it which prompted you to copy it and past it to this sub-formum, which can be found at www.fisheaters.com

Hey didishroom, how bout giving up the internet for lent?
Quote: Hey didishroom, how bout giving up the internet for lent?
Hey why don't you give up minding a complete stranger's buissness?
didishroom Wrote:
Quote:Was belief that St. Christopher was a Saint infallible? According to Didi, Pope Paul VI took him out of the calendar.
But one could argue, he wasn't using infallibility. He simply removed him.

Perhaps, if some Canonized Saints are not in the calendar. Are there Canonized Saints not in the calendar?

With St. Christopher the key issue is whether he, in fact existed.
StevusMagnus Wrote:
didishroom Wrote:
Quote:Was belief that St. Christopher was a Saint infallible? According to Didi, Pope Paul VI took him out of the calendar.
But one could argue, he wasn't using infallibility. He simply removed him.

Perhaps, if some recognized Saints are not in the calendar. Are there recognized Saints not in the calendar?

Edit: I see Sebastian's response, yes. Nevermind.

With St. Christopher the key issue is whether he, in fact existed.

I really don't know. St. Philomena was formally canonized and she was removed. She wasn't some 'obscure' saint from ancient traditions.
didishroom Wrote:
Quote: Hey didishroom, how bout giving up the internet for lent?
Hey why don't you give up minding a complete stranger's buissness?
:laughing: seriously though, it's only 40 days....
St. Simon of Trent's shrine was dismantled.

Telemaque Wrote:St. Simon of Trent's shrine was dismantled.

Yeah, a couple times. His cult was first suppressed by Sixtus IV, but then permitted by Sixtus V, and then suppressed again by Paul VI.

While the distinct classification between Saint and Blessed did not exist at that time, it seems this example is more similar to a beatification--he had his own Mass texts, but his cult was not solemnly prescribed or mandated for the whole Church. Depending on who you read, the only reason the Franciscan Sixtus V showed such an interest in him was because his cult was supressed by a Dominican.