no confession on ash wenesday?
Anyone else running into this?

I tried several churches with confession times listed today, and all were canceled. The church I attended Mass at today said it was per the archbishop to not offer confession today.

Seems odd to me.

Yeah, it is odd. But what do you expect from the innovating Modernists???

Local Parish is offering a Reconciliation service w/ Confession afterwards.
I can't speak for your diocese, but I know that just about every available priest is being used to offer Mass for all the services held today.  There's probably not enough priests to go around.

I doubt that the modernists are conspiring against you.
Try to ring a local church and get appt.
I can't speak for your diocese, but I know that just about every available priest is being used to offer Mass for all the services held today. There's probably not enough priests to go around.

I doubt that the modernists are conspiring against you.

Who are you kidding? What rock do you live under?
This is news to me, and I'm in the same archdiocese as the OP. Then again, I am kind of in my own little world right now, where ecclesiastical politics is concerned.
I think he might have just been busy - I'll try again later this week.

I was told when I asked that he tends to start a bit later {schedule says 11:30, he tends to start at 11:35 or 11:40}. He seems like a good priest though so I'm willing to try again as they have the original confessionals to use!

The_Harlequin_King Wrote:This is news to me, and I'm in the same archdiocese as the OP. Then again, I am kind of in my own little world right now, where ecclesiastical politics is concerned.

Wondered when you'd pop in on this!

FWIW it was St Mary's Downtown {on St. Mary's street}. And WOW they should totally have the TLM there - the church is perfect for it! Still has the altar rail even!
dakotamidnight Wrote:FWIW it was St Mary's Downtown {on St. Mary's street}. And WOW they should totally have the TLM there - the church is perfect for it! Still has the altar rail even!

Alas, I've never actually been inside, although I walked right past it last night during Mardi Gras.

Last year on Maundy Thursday, St. Mary's Downtown was the second-to-last of my stops on the "seven church visitation" custom, but by the time I got there, it was past midnight and closed. I prayed a couple of stations from the Stations of the Cross, and disturbed some bum that was sleeping under the portal.