no confession on ash wenesday?
Stevus: As you have pointed out, Ash Wednesday is not a Holy Day of Obligation or a national holiday. That means most people WORK, and they are squeezing Mass and ashes in between work. They wouldn't have time for confession anyway. I agree it would be better if we had a few hours for confession between two of the Masses, or in the evening for those who can make it. It seems to me that you are not being sympathetic toward the schedules of these priests, and the fact that there are fewer priests these days.

- Lisa

StevusMagnus Wrote:Priests should be "busy" in the confessional to kick off the penitential season of Lent. Not off distributing ashes 4 times that day and cancelling confessions.

Ash Wednesday is one of those days that brings people to church who usually don't go.  The more Masses...the more collections.
Carthusian Wrote:Ash Wednesday is one of those days that brings people to church who usually don't go.  The more Masses...the more collections.

Well, that's a cynical way of looking at it. I didn't know there was a collection taken up on Ash Wednesday. We had four Masses.. Zero collections.

- Lisa
StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:Stevus: As you have pointed out, Ash Wednesday is not a Holy Day of Obligation. That means most people WORK, and they are squeezing Mass and ashes in between work. They wouldn't have time for confession anyway. I agree it would be better if we had a few hours for confession between two of the Masses, or in the evening for those who can make it. It seems to me that you are not being sympathetic toward the schedules of these priests, and the fact that there are fewer priests these days.

- Lisa

The schedules are self-imposed. There is no requirement for them to offer any masses that day, much less 4. I'm saying the priorities are out of whack. If people can "squeeze in" a non-obligtory mass, they can "squeeze in" confession as well. Especially since it is the whole point of the season.

Instead people and priests are caught up in saying 3-4 masses or "liturgy of the word" in some cases for a simple sacramental that is symbolic. And in the process they wipe the schedule of any confessions, which is a sacrament where one goes from spiritual death to life! It's really insanity when you think about it.

At minimum there should be an hour of confessions before any evening Mass on Ash Wednesday. To eliminate any on Ash Wednesday, of all days, just makes no sense.
One parish near me cancelled regularly scheduled Wednesday evening confessions for Ash Wednesday "services"!
StevusMagnus Wrote:The schedules are self-imposed. There is no requirement for them to offer any masses that day, much less 4. I'm saying the priorities are out of whack. If people can "squeeze in" a non-obligtory mass, they can "squeeze in" confession as well. Especially since it is the whole point of the season.

Instead people and priests are caught up in saying 3-4 masses or "liturgy of the word" in some cases for a simple sacramental that is symbolic. And in the process they wipe the schedule of any confessions, which is a sacrament where one goes from spiritual death to life! It's really insanity when you think about it. 

Once again, there is a day for ashes and a day for penance. Ash Wednesday is both - and the entire season of Lent is one of penance and therefore confessions can be made any time throughout the season. There is only ONE DAY for the distribution of ashes. And it's important.
- Lisa
StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
Carthusian Wrote:Ash Wednesday is one of those days that brings people to church who usually don't go.  The more Masses...the more collections.

Well, that's a cynical way of looking at it. I didn't know there was a collection taken up on Ash Wednesday. We had four Masses.. Zero collections.

- Lisa

Unfortunately, many parishes are in need of cash.  Pastors know Ash Wednesday is a big turnout day.  The TLM Ash Wednesday Mass I went to took two collections.  When I used to go the NO, I don't remember an Ash Wednesday Mass where collections were not taken.

There should be more times for confession on Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. 
StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:Once again, there is a day for ashes and a day for penance. Ash Wednesday is both - and the entire season of Lent is one of penance and therefore confessions can be made any time throughout the season. There is only ONE DAY for the distribution of ashes. And it's important.- Lisa

And ashes can be distributed while still offering confessions that day. Ash Wednesday is first a day of repentance perfectly realized by the sacrament of confession. Secondarily we receive ashes as a symbol to remind us of our mortality and to do penance.

If ashes were truly THAT important, Mass on that day would be mandatory. Instead it is optional.
Carthusian Wrote:Unfortunately, many parishes are in need of cash.  Pastors know Ash Wednesday is a big turnout day.  The TLM Ash Wednesday Mass I went to took two collections.  When I used to go the NO, I don't remember an Ash Wednesday Mass where collections were not taken.
Aha! I think you hit the nail on the head! There is indeed a first priority. The almighty dollar.

StevusMagnus Wrote:One parish near me cancelled regularly scheduled Wednesday evening confessions for Ash Wednesday "services"!

There was an NO parish near me a few years ago that offered an "ecumenical Ash Wednesday" service!  They invited all Protestant denominations to come and get ashes.  How loving Satan can be.