Lay Person Distributing Ashes
Ockham,

I feel your pain. I'm attending a small private college (non-Catholic). Today the priest from a local parish came to our college at the request of the Campus Catholics organization to distribute ashes. After a short sermon and prayer, the priest announced that ashes would be distributed by him and 3 lay people. But I have to tell you that even as a person converting to Catholicism, I wasn't comfortable with this. I actually got out of the line I was in to go directly to the priest. It just didn't seem right to have someone other than a priest do it. It may be permissable but it doesn't seem right.

God bless you.

Aviz Wrote:You could avoid all that trouble and confusion if you avoided the NO mass altogether. In the TLM the priest and the laity all know their proper places.

Unfortunately there wasn't a TLM offered in my area today.  A FSSP priest from a diocese ninety minutes away drives to a parish near mine on Sundays.  Since I started going to the TLM, I feel like someone stole our heritage and replaced it with the NO.  Thankfully, there are signs we're stealing it back.
Trad_Believer Wrote:It just didn't seem right to have someone other than a priest do it.

Or a deacon, I'd say. But I know what you mean.
Seriously? We're hung up on *ashes*? I mean, everyone seems to get that this isn't the Eucharist, but is still pretty bothered by it.

You don't have to get the ashes at all, it's not a HDoO, and if you want them, sure your bowling buddy, or yourself (provided you have the blessed ashes, but it's worth noting they use the chrism from the Chrism Mass in the Ash-- you may not have that laying around) could apply them. I could give you a sacramental as a gift (a blessed crucifix), I can even say "May God bless you" (with a less than certain result of course).

The ashes aren't even reserved to Catholics. The unbaptized, converts, infants (who aren't baptized) or any Christian (incl. Protestants) can receive them *legitimately.* (I suppose there's nothing to stop some pagan off the street from taking communion on Sunday if we want to get down to brass tacks.)

What is the big deal? Crossing a line to receive communion is one thing, but to get ashes from the ordained seems, well, scrupulous.

The more tasks taken from the priests, the further the Church descends away from Christ.  The more prominence given to the laity the fewer young people enter the seminaries.  If all a priest becomes is a high ranking lay person then why will anyone face all the sacrifice and challenge?
Ockham The more tasks taken from the priests, the further the Church descends away from Christ.  The more prominence given to the laity the fewer young people enter the seminaries.  If all a priest becomes is a high ranking lay person then why will anyone face all the sacrifice and challenge?

Very true. The faster we can jettison the NO the better.

Ockham Wrote:After Mass the ashes lady stood talking to someone while a small group of us said the rosary.  It didn't seem to phase her that idle chat was more important than prayer.  If that's the amount of respect she has for the rosary then I doubt she has any more for her EMC duties.

One of a myriad of reasons not to go to the Novus Ordo.
matthew_talbot Wrote:
Ockham Wrote:After Mass the ashes lady stood talking to someone while a small group of us said the rosary.  It didn't seem to phase her that idle chat was more important than prayer.  If that's the amount of respect she has for the rosary then I doubt she has any more for her EMC duties.

That is not part of the Pauline mass rubrics.
ONeill Wrote:
matthew_talbot Wrote:

That is not part of the Pauline mass rubrics.

Perhaps not. But it is part of the abuse that happens daily in Novus Ordo churches due to the ambiguity of the protestantized "Pauline Mass." If my children were to walk into a N.O Mass, or their "Ash Wednesday Lite" ceremony, they would not even recognize it as Catholic
Bingo, Mr. Talbot.