Lay Person Distributing Ashes
Oh, I don't disagree. The laity are supposed to educate themselves and speak out when abuses happen. It's fine to prefer the TLM to the NOM.. even to hold the opinion that the NOM should be totally abolished.
But until it is abolished, the NOM is authorized by Rome and there are rubrics to follow. Priests are either following them or they're not.. or they are flirting with abuse. This is a time of confusion and we laity need to practice caution. We are not "sheeple" simply because we stand by our local bishops..(St. Ignatius of Antioch advised us to do so). A lot of people in the pews are not sheep at all, but rather self-appointed shepherds. - Lisa
StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:Oh, I don't disagree. The laity are supposed to educate themselves and speak out when abuses happen. It's fine to prefer the TLM to the NOM.. even to hold the opinion that the NOM should be totally abolished.
But until it is abolished, the NOM is authorized by Rome and there are rubrics to follow. Priests are either following them or they're not.. or they are flirting with abuse. This is a time of confusion and we laity need to practice caution. We are not "sheeple" simply because we stand by our local bishops..(St. Ignatius of Antioch advised us to do so). A lot of people in the pews are not sheep at all, but rather self-appointed shepherds. - Lisa

And I stand by my Ordinary too. and all church authorities. In all things. Except that which is contrary to the Catholic Faith. When this is the case, we not only have a right to disobey superiors; we have a DUTY to do so. So says Aquinas Athanasius And Bellarmine.

As for "self-appointed shepards," I do not understand what you mean by this. That sounds like Protestantism. I follow One shepard without reservation or question. Blessed be his name.

matthew_talbot Wrote:As for "self-appointed shepards," I do not understand what you mean by this. That sounds like Protestantism.

I meant it in the negative sense, just as you meant "sheeple" in the negative sense. It means the other extreme: people who appoint themselves as "leader" and don't listen to their priest or bishop or the Pope .. or even the Ultimate Shepherd, who is Christ.

- Lisa

StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
matthew_talbot Wrote:As for "self-appointed shepards," I do not understand what you mean by this. That sounds like Protestantism.

I meant it in the negative sense, just as you meant "sheeple" in the negative sense. It means the other extreme: people who appoint themselves as "leader" and don't listen to their priest or bishop or the Pope .. or even the Ultimate Shepherd, who is Christ.

- Lisa

I do listen to my priest, bishop and The Holy Father. and obey them in all things except that which is contrary to The Catholic Faith.

I am SSPX. I would long for things to be "back to normal." Such is not the case. I would long to be able to trust our bishops such that I do not have to go over their pronouncements with a "fine-toothed comb." We cannot. Too many yield to plurality and modernism. I do not blindly follow SSPX leadership either. The final arbiter is the Magisterium.
matthew_talbot Wrote:I do listen to my priest, bishop and The Holy Father. and obey them in all things except that which is contrary to The Catholic Faith.

Same here.. I didn't mean to imply that you were a "self-appointed shepherd."

- Lisa
matthew_talbot Wrote:I am SSPX. I would long for things to be "back to normal." Such is not the case. I would long to be able to trust our bishops such that I do not have to go over their pronouncements with a "fine-toothed comb." We cannot. Too many yield to plurality and modernism. I do not blindly follow SSPX leadership either. The final arbiter is the Magisterium.

Once again, that remark of mine was not intended to single out trads or the SSPX. I made no such distinctions, my friend. For what it's worth, I think there are probably more "self-appointed shepherds" in the Novus Ordo crowd. I try to carefully choose my words, like saying "some Catholics" or "some people in the pews" so as to not disparage a specific group.
 - Lisa