The Pleasures of eating
EXCERPT=....When food, in the minds of eaters, is no longer associated with farming and with the land, the eaters suffer a kind of cultural amnesia that is misleading and dangerous.Like industrial sex, industrial eating has become a degraded, poor, and paltry thing. Our kitchens and other eating places more and more resemble filling stations, as our homes more and more resemble motels.“Life is not very interesting,” we seem to have decided. “Let its satisfactions be minimal, perfunctory, and fast.”We hurry through our meals to go to work and hurry through our work in order to “recreate” ourselves in the evenings and on weekends. And all this is carried out in a remarkable obliviousness to the causes and effects, the possibilities and the purposes, of the life of the body in this world….The passive American consumer, sitting down to a meal of pre-prepared food, confronts inert, anonymous substances that have been processed, dyed, breaded, sauced, gravied, ground, pulped, strained,blended, prettified, and sanitized beyond resemblance to any part of any creature that ever lived….
http://www.ediblepiedmont.com/content/pages/articles/winter09/thePleasuresOfEating.pdf
hhmm...Ill admit, the idea of freshly butchered meat does disgust me.(i hate that gamey taste) But i see what you mean by the other stuff, I think sitting around a inner table, connecting and talking, is just as important a time for a family as is the need for eating.
Made from scratch is tops!  Whenever I get to go home for a bit, I grab some meat from my freezer, and take it with me, to cook for my team and me.  Knowing who raised the animals, and how they were raised, makes the meat all the more tasty.  Grass-fed rules!

Yeah, preparing from scratch does take more time, but it's worth it.  You can taste the difference, and what's the point of eating, if it's not for the taste?  I can get calories from MRPs, why bother with food?