A MAJOR GAP in Pro-Life Efforts
So, this Sunday Morning, a friend of a friend found out she was pregnant and was considering an abortion.

Did you know that NOBODY is open on Sundays?
EVEN the National Call lines generally can't provide help?
EVEN Catholic Charities is not open?

Granted, Planned Parenthood et al, isn't open either, but should we as a movement

I spent the better part of 2hrs trying to find help for my friend who was with the pregnant girl. There was NOTHING. At the same time, the pregnant girl had another friend trying to tell her to have an abortion. I dont know how the situation will turn out.

How can we, as a movement, accept the fact that we'll only offer help M-F 9AM to 5PM (and 8PM on Tuesdays) and 10-1PM on Saturdays? 

I invite my fellow Pro-lifers to suggest and put pressure on these centers to ensure that there is 24hr help available. I realize they can't do it individually, but collectively... We should be able to do something.

We really really have to do better.

I think it seems like a small oversight, but a life could be lost because we as a movement didn't have someone available.

We can do better, much better.
This is an excellent idea, I only know one or two crisis pregnancy centers who have off hour calls forwarded to their counselor's cells. And it's really easy to do.
Firstly, tell your friend congratulations from the posters at FishEaters on becoming with child! What good news! We'll be sure to keep her in our prayers.

Ignatius_of_Loyola Wrote:I spent the better part of 2hrs trying to find help for my friend who was with the pregnant girl. There was NOTHING. At the same time, the pregnant girl had another friend trying to tell her to have an abortion. I dont know how the situation will turn out.

If having an abortion is as rational and thought out a decision as the abortionists would have us believe, then this shouldn't be an issue, now should it? Surely something as grave as an abortion should take at least a week or two to decide. Of course this line is nonsense, people get emotional and make trigger-finger decisions.

So what to do?

Rest assured, it is likely your pregnant friend will listen to you more than some kind-hearted operator on the phone. Besides, even if every place was open, it would take at least a few days to arrange for an abortion. As such, the pro-life friend would have some time to convince one away from an abortion.

Quote:How can we, as a movement, accept the fact that we'll only offer help M-F 9AM to 5PM (and 8PM on Tuesdays) and 10-1PM on Saturdays?

Because God is due worship, and Sunday is the special day for that.

There is a time for everything. There's a time to be on the picket lines and writing letters to the editor, and then there's a time to be alone, to pray for the end of abortion and to rest.

Never underestimate the power of prayer, especially liturgical prayer (which is what most pro-lifers are doing on a Sunday). Many, many a charitable group and religious congregation has been derailed because they put all their efforts into their social outreaches, and neglected their prayer life as a result.

The real power-houses of the Church, our spiritual weapon depots, are not the soup kitchens, homeless shelters, and orphanages, they are not even our parish churches. The real powerhouses are the monasteries and convents. Secluded, away from the world, the religious are the engine which keeps this Christian army marching forward.
We too should withdraw on occasion to pray and be with God.

Quote:I think it seems like a small oversight, but a life could be lost because we as a movement didn't have someone available.

While it certainly wouldn't break the spirit of the day to engage in a pro-life hot-line or the like, but don't neglect their power of prayer and rest. That's what Sunday is for.

Crises, unfortunately, don't take holidays or week-ends off. Maybe if there was an e-mail service that might help.
Ignatius, I do hope your friend bides well in this time and I really hope the other girl doesn't do anything drastic.

Credo Wrote:Firstly, tell your friend congratulations from the posters at FishEaters on becoming with child! What good news! We'll be sure to keep her in our prayers.
Good News?  The woman is considering an abortion due to an out of wedlock pregnancy as a direct result of a stupid action - not good news.
Credo Wrote:Rest assured, it is likely your pregnant friend will listen to you more than some kind-hearted operator on the phone. Besides, even if every place was open, it would take at least a few days to arrange for an abortion. As such, the pro-life friend would have some time to convince one away from an abortion. 
Really?  Let me add this in... I'm currently in one of the largest cities in the US - there are no less than 5 Planned Parenthood's within 20 minutes not to mention 4 different hospitals.  She's in her first trimester, which means that it's a walk-in kind of job. 

We can NEVER wait on this kind of thing.  The very fact that women are scared means that they will pull the trigger too easily and too quickly.  These situations by their very nature are defined by stupid decisions.

Quote:Because God is due worship, and Sunday is the special day for that.

Never underestimate the power of prayer, especially liturgical prayer (which is what most pro-lifers are doing on a Sunday). Many, many a charitable group and religious congregation has been derailed because they put all their efforts into their social outreaches, and neglected their prayer life as a result.
Pray Absolutely, but ACT with Conviction.  If we are not able to act and save a life because we were down our knees instead... I wouldn't want to stand at the Gates and have to explain that I wouldn't help because I was in Church instead.
You can't tell me that with the millions of pro-life staff, etc throughout the country that they all have to pray at the same instant.  We as Catholics have many different times to go to mass, so go and then return to work.  Rest, but rest another day and arrange it so that someone is always there.  

The teachings of Christ are explicit on this account:
  • "The Sabbath was made for Man, not Man for the Sabbath" - therefore, we can not have a life destroyed because it was Sunday, because then we would be putting the letter of the law higher than the spirit of the law
  • The parable of the virgins with the lanterns - if we are all away 'resting' then how could we perform our duties for the Eternal Bridegroom?
I don't think having staff 24/7/365 in order to prevent the destruction of life is wrong. 

Abortion is Murder.  We have policemen to watch out for murder every hour of every day of every year.  We have 911 services to again watch out every instant of every moment for cries for help.  Parts of the world may disagree that it's a life, but is that an excuse?
I again charge all of us to reexamine this part of our movement - can we do better?  If we can, PLEASE call your local centers and encourage them to find a way to work together to provide help on Sundays.

Quote:Good News?  The woman is considering an abortion due to an out of wedlock pregnancy as a direct result of a stupid action - not good news.

All babies are good news.

Spooky Wrote:
Quote:Good News?  The woman is considering an abortion due to an out of wedlock pregnancy as a direct result of a stupid action - not good news.

All babies are good news.

Which is what Credo meant, as I read it, not that her considering abortion was good news at all.  I liked the points Credo made about the power of prayer although I also think that crisis pregnancy centers need to have hotlines open at all times.  No one needs to be at the center on Sunday if calls are forwarded to someone's cell phone.  They could also put a sign on their doors explaining that they may be reached at night and on days they are closed by calling the center's phone number.  We are talking about saving lives.

I wonder, by the way, if any pro-life groups or crisis pregnancy centers are eligible for federal funding.  I am disgusted at how much Planned Parenthood receives from our tax dollars.

Ignatius_of_Loyola Wrote:Good News?

Of course. Just because your friend sees things myopically doesn't negate the objective reality that children have souls which in turn can spend a lifetime, and eternity thereafter, in friendship with God.

Quote:Pray Absolutely, but ACT with Conviction.

There's a time for everything. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but do not neglect the power of prayer. There are Graces had during Mass and the Divine Office that can affect a change of heart more than any hot-line or agency ever can.  
Quote:
  • "The Sabbath was made for Man, not Man for the Sabbath" - therefore, we can not have a life destroyed because it was Sunday, because then we would be putting the letter of the law higher than the spirit of the law
  • The parable of the virgins with the lanterns - if we are all away 'resting' then how could we perform our duties for the Eternal Bridegroom?

Please re-read my post. I already addressed these Scriptures.

Quote:I don't think having staff 24/7/365 in order to prevent the destruction of life is wrong.

Cool. Who said it was wrong?
PaxVobiscum Wrote:I wonder, by the way, if any pro-life groups or crisis pregnancy centers are eligible for federal funding. I am disgusted at how much Planned Parenthood receives from our tax dollars.

The answer is: not many at all.  Federal dollars come attached with strings.  They also can't be used for anything "religious" which is how most centers approach it.
Spooky Wrote:All babies are good news.

[Image: amen2.gif]

Also, I agree that there are some problems with the crisis pregnancy centers available--  One is needing an appointment for a pregnancy test.  Think about it, you are a teenager or young woman without a car, manage to get there, and then you're told you need an appointment and to come back.  Ridiculous.

Second, there was a problem with one of the very well known crisis pregnancy centers in this area being not truly confidential.  Some of the women working in the office were repeating things they had read in supposedly confidential files.  They were not reprimanded in any way.