North or South Dakota Trads
AndreasAngelopolitanus Wrote:Perhaps there will be more alternatives in the future; but as it stands now, the TLM is offered twice a month in Mandan--and I'm willing to make the 3-hour drive to Fargo on those Sundays when it isn't.  But the Medora-to-Fargo commute would be a bit too much for me.  Despite all my bellyaching about hot weather [Image: wink.gif] , any relocation I may make is going to be primarily influenced by the availability of the Mass.

You are right - I don't think there is much available on the western side of the state.  I'm very blessed in that we have a TLM at the Cathedral. 

I don't think these would make a huge dent in the driving time for you, but there are TLM's at these churches also.

Grand Forks

[-]
  •
I think Grand Forks would add commute time, but Oriska seems to be a little closer.  I wasn't aware a TLM was offered there; thanks for the info! [Image: smile.gif]

I even found a news story (from last year) about the church there being 100 years old.

http://www.times-online.com/content/view/109934/1/

It begins:
Quote:St Bernard of Clairvaux Catholic Church at Oriska was built 100 years ago, but the faith-filled Catholics of the Oriska area met for 27 years before that in homes and businesses in the area.

Meeting in homes and businesses.  Gee... that reads like the "1970s" (for many Catholics seeking the TLM).

AndreasAngelopolitanus Wrote:It begins:
Quote:St Bernard of Clairvaux Catholic Church at Oriska was built 100 years ago, but the faith-filled Catholics of the Oriska area met for 27 years before that in homes and businesses in the area.

I am a convert and I had a great uncle who was what the Protestants call a "Preacher."  He did the whole circuit rider thing - don't believe there was a horse and pony involved, though.  Not sure if he was in North Dakota or mostly in South Dakota.  Welcome to the Wild West!! (I think in your case it is the Wild East, though  - I also need a good cowboy emoticon.)
Joamy Wrote:I am a convert and I had a great uncle who was what the Protestants call a "Preacher." 
The Dominicans get labeled with that monicker, too...  [Image: wink.gif]

http://curia.op.org/ 

I forgot about those Dominicans!!!

Are you still above water?  I hear things are pretty bad up your way...  [Image: drowning.gif]
I am above water, although, I am feeling a bit surrounded at the moment.  I live fairly well away from the Mighty Red (at least a couple of miles into town.)  People have been coming from all over to help sandbag.  Praying that the barriers hold and that we do not have to evacuate.  I went through this 12 years ago and it does not improve with time.  We are also in the middle of a snowstorm - can't begin to describe what it is like to worry about flooding and snow at the same time. 
(One year follow-up)

Not having to "sandbag it" quite so much this year, eh?  :)

(03-25-2009, 08:17 PM)Joamy Wrote: I am above water, although, I am feeling a bit surrounded at the moment.  I live fairly well away from the Mighty Red (at least a couple of miles into town.)  People have been coming from all over to help sandbag.  Praying that the barriers hold and that we do not have to evacuate.  I went through this 12 years ago and it does not improve with time.  We are also in the middle of a snowstorm - can't begin to describe what it is like to worry about flooding and snow at the same time.
(03-25-2010, 03:11 PM)AndreasAngelopolitanus Wrote: (One year follow-up)

Not having to "sandbag it" quite so much this year, eh?   :)

(03-25-2009, 08:17 PM)Joamy Wrote: I am above water, although, I am feeling a bit surrounded at the moment.  I live fairly well away from the Mighty Red (at least a couple of miles into town.)  People have been coming from all over to help sandbag.  Praying that the barriers hold and that we do not have to evacuate.  I went through this 12 years ago and it does not improve with time.  We are also in the middle of a snowstorm - can't begin to describe what it is like to worry about flooding and snow at the same time.

Thankfully, no - river crested about 4-5 feet below last year.  (Still about 20 feet above flood stage, though.)  There are a couple of plans in the works to keep this from happening again.  We've had too many major floods in the last 10 years. 

Did you ever get out to this part of flyover land?
Flyover land?  I had to look up that one.    :laughing:

But no... not yet.  Still aiming to, though.