When will the USA have free and universal health care?
I think Robb is being ironic. Dontcha think?
DrBombay Wrote:I think Robb is being ironic. Dontcha think?

A little too ironic.... and yeah I really do think
DarkKnight Wrote:"There is no such thing as free [healthcare]."

It will be empowering the government to make the decision who lives, dies or is treated and allowed to malinger.

There is nothing "civilized" about having the State holding one in the state of perpetual childhood/dependence.

Those "civilized" countries have abysmal cancer survival rates for example, just because of how efficient the respective governments are in making health care decisions.

All I have to do is look at the California budget process, the DMV or any other government agency to say "No way."
"If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what is costs when it's free." - PJ O'Rourke

And wasn't there just some woman in Great Britain who was encouraging the elderly to commit suicide to save the state's resources? Lovely.

And for aborting the disabled or Down's syndrome babies, because they'll cost the government a lot of money over their lifetime.
Robb Wrote:It is the mark of any society in the way they treat their disadvantaged people. 

It is the mark of any society to educate their people and make them productive so they can afford health care.   The truly disadvantaged, those unable to work because of age or infirmity, should certainly be helped.

Of course in this economy it's hard to be productive, and all our money is going to prop up the bankers who caused the mess instead of helping the truly disadvantaged.

Conclusion:  our society is deranged.

There are drawbacks to "universal" health care AND massive drawbacks to private health care.  Both systems suck so each country has to decide on which way to go.  I don't trust private health insurance companies any more than I trust the government.  Both governments and private insurance companies want to pay out the least amount they can - meaning $$$ are the bottom line for both governments and private insurance companies - not you or your well being or your health care.  Both, private insurance and government insurance don't give a hoot about you.  Money is the bottom line for both.

In my view both are evil.  We need to get the government AND private insurance companies out of the healthcare business.  You and I should easily be able to pay our doctor directly out of pocket without going bankrupt.  How do you think people in the past paid for their healthcare before insurance policies or "universal health care".
Again, both are evil in my opinion.

Quote:
Hopefully never.  [Image: smile.gif]

Heartily seconded.
mike6240 Wrote:There are drawbacks to "universal" health care AND massive drawbacks to private health care.  Both systems suck so each country has to decide on which way to go.  I don't trust private health insurance companies any more than I trust the government.  Both governments and private insurance companies want to pay out the least amount they can - meaning $$$ are the bottom line for both governments and private insurance companies - not you or your well being or your health care.  Both, private insurance and government insurance don't give a hoot about you.  Money is the bottom line for both.

In my view both are evil.  We need to get the government AND private insurance companies out of the healthcare business.  You and I should easily be able to pay our doctor directly out of pocket without going bankrupt.  How do you think people in the past paid for their healthcare before insurance policies or "universal health care".
Again, both are evil in my opinion.

Good points there.  However, I think a lot of people died before health insurance.  In a Capitalist-driven medical economy, medical advances are made for money.  Thus, the best care costs the most.  It'd be nice if medical advances were made for the public good, but that isn't the case.  Insurance, in a sense, pools our health care "buying power" with the insurance companies skimming off the top for profit (and yes they skim too much).  But, without that "buying power" there is less incentive to develop better health care.

So ideally, I agree with you.  Practically, I think we'd have a lot of dead people.
DarkKnight Wrote:"There is no such thing as free [healthcare]."

It will be empowering the government to make the decision who lives, dies or is treated and allowed to malinger.

And right now, insurance companies and people's bank accounts decide who lives and who dies and who is treated.  (Insurance companies deny people care that they think is "too expensive" all the time)
I think Churchill said it best in reference to Democracy...
"[it] is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time"