SAN ANTONIO - where can I buy a veil?
Anyone know a place LOCALLY where I can buy a veil to wear to Mass?

THK - does the book store you work at sell them? Or am I remembering wrong?

dakotamidnight Wrote:THK - does the book store you work at sell them? Or am I remembering wrong?

I don't work at the Christ the King store anymore, but you can buy them there.

Here's their website
. There are two locations: one on I-35 and 1604, and one on I-10 and Wurzbach.

Also, don't forget that if you're seeking just to fulfill the headcovering custom of the Church, you can wear a hat or a scarf. The mantilla is more of a Latin/Mediterranean custom than an Anglo-Saxon one. I think hats were even the custom in pre-Vatican II Argentina.... but then again, maybe that's just my perception from watching Evita too many times.
My wife has used doilies (I hope that is spelled that correctly) in the past. They are inexpensive, and can be bought at a fabric shop.
Good luck! [Image: tiphat2.gif]
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
dakotamidnight Wrote:THK - does the book store you work at sell them? Or am I remembering wrong?

I don't work at the Christ the King store anymore, but you can buy them there.

Here's their website
. There are two locations: one on I-35 and 1604, and one on I-10 and Wurzbach.

Also, don't forget that if you're seeking just to fulfill the headcovering custom of the Church, you can wear a hat or a scarf. The mantilla is more of a Latin/Mediterranean custom than an Anglo-Saxon one. I think hats were even the custom in pre-Vatican II Argentina.... but then again, maybe that's just my perception from watching Evita too many times.

Thanks - and it's a shame you don't work there anymore - It was the one place we might have run into one another!

I'm just not into hats - never was even as a kid. Bonnets yes, hats no. Veils are going to take some getting used to, but I love the look as I'm going to start wearing one both at the TLM and the NO

Think I would get funny looks showing up at a TLM in an Amish prayer cap?

These are quite nice and kind of a different option.  I haven't bought one, but have thought about it

http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com/...kippot.htm
dakotamidnight Wrote:Thanks - and it's a shame you don't work there anymore - It was the one place we might have run into one another!

The old ladies at the store didn't like me, for various reasons. That was a major reason why I quit.

Quote:I'm just not into hats - never was even as a kid. Bonnets yes, hats no. Veils are going to take some getting used to, but I love the look as I'm going to start wearing one both at the TLM and the NO

Well, if you're dedicated to using a mantilla, I'd invest in getting one that looks nice. I'm aware you want "local", but.... I can't put my finger on it, but the plain black and white mantillas sold at the stores I worked at just look frumpy, like they were designed to be worn by old women. Check out this one being sold at the site Joamy linked to:

[Image: WineLaceHairWrapMantillaVeil.jpg]

And as you can see in this picture, it seems to be made for orthodox Jewish women, but it still looks really nice and suits Catholic purposes very well:

[Image: WineLaceHairWrapMantillaVeil9.jpg]
Upon browsing that site again, I see there are a lot of types of headcoverings there. It's quite impressive. Their snoods are rather classy and medieval-ish.

[Image: JacquardBandBlackPeachSkinCrepeSnood2.jpg]

[Image: OliveGauzeCotGoldJacquardBandSnood_TIES.jpg]

[Image: BlueTanSnood_NavyLaceTies7.jpg]

Ooooooooh, pitty! Especially the top one!
It's a really nice site- but I've yet to order from them.  Can't make up my mind which one I like best.
Oooh, HK, so pretty!! (The veils, not you.)

Orthodox Jewish women seem to be so much better at modesty than Catholics. I mean, their stores actually sell things that look nice, whereas we get bloomers, jumpers, and triangles of stiff, toilet-white polyester lace. What's up with that?