Quitting Smoking is HARD!
Anyone have any suggesations about quitting smoking?
I have recently obtained Nicoderm CQ patches, and have to set a date to quit.
...please advise.[Image: smokin.gif]

Pieta,
 I have probably quit a dozen times or so in my life. I am at 3 weeks. ADDICTION IS THE DEVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did 3 packs a day of Marlboro Reds before crushing out my last butt 7 years ago.  http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/apologia/show_single_post?pid=30718314&postcount=22

You might as well throw those patches in the garbage.  Biologically speaking, the nicotine is out of your system after a couple days off tobacco.  After that, it's all in your head.  Don't let your head push your around, you're smarter than to let your brain mess with you.  The statistics say that people who relapse will do it 2 to 3 months after quitting-- I knew this ahead of time and it was like total clockwork for me.  8ish weeks in, I wanted a cigarette more than I wanted anything.  But knowing that was the relapse time, I just laughed at myself for being so typical.

Then I gummed on my car head-rests for a couple minutes to get the leftover smoke.

There's only one way to quit smoking, and that's to quit smoking.  I don't want to be terse about it, but that's really the story.  Cutting back isn't quitting smoking.  Switching to Ultra Lights isn't quitting smoking.  Quitting smoking means you quit smoking.

Really, you're doing it the best way: pick a date in the near future.  Smoke all the cigarettes you can smoke right up until midnight of that day you quit.  At midnight, flush the remaining smokes down the toilet (careful not to clog the bowl).  And never smoke again.

I have a friend on Chantix.  It's plugging along fine for him so far.  I'm kind of a grinder on stuff like that and think that people should chew a stick for the pain.  But that's just me.  Good luck and God bless.  There should be a patron saint for quitting smoking.  St Florian of Lorch maybe?
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> setTimeout('$("#related_media_holder").replaceWith($("#related_media"));', 200); </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>toolhover('28975_side','email');toolhover('28975_side','share');</SCRIPT>
Enlarge Image [Image: onion_news1359.article.jpg]
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28975
I never had a hard time stopping. I guess I'm lucky but my stomach doesn't entirely agree with tobacco, so I can't smoke that much to begin with. Which averages about 3-5 a day if i have a pack. So smoking 3 packs a day is insanity. I don't know how one could do it.

Anyways, I gave it up for Lent, and I seem to be tempted more now than usual.

Chantix can work wonders, IF you're totally careful about the side effects, which can include some really ugly things like stomach upset (for me, it's awful), bad dreams (I don't like these, either), anger and even suicidal thoughts (for a very small few).

Chantix dreams are the worst. Its hard as hell to get to sleep, and then you sleep horribly because your brain is having an acid trip.

Works though if you follow through the whole shabang.
Haven't smoked in over a week (guess what I gave up for lent...) Day 3 was a bastard but I just hung in there. Cold turkey. Cravings gone now but do miss it.
I loved it but I'd be stupid to go back on to them. I'm looking forward to a pipe on Easter Sunday.
Orville_B_Croft Wrote:Haven't smoked in over a week (guess what I gave up for lent...) Day 3 was a bastard but I just hung in there. Cold turkey. Cravings gone now but do miss it.
I loved it but I'd be stupid to go back on to them. I'm looking forward to a pipe on Easter Sunday.
Good job! Keep it up.
Weirdest and latest pregnancy craving: cigarettes.

I haven't smoked in a coon's age (a little less) but I've been having delicious, nicotine filled dreams with long dark cigarettes (probably Black Russians.)

My wacked out dreams aside, the only way to quit is to get pregnant, or if you are a dude, cold turkey. Throw your cigarettes out. Put all the money you would spend on cigarettes in a jar. Hang out in places where smoking isn't allowed. Chew gum, eat suckers, knit, or drink giant sugar free caffeinated drinks from a straw if you need to keep your hands or mouth busy.