Quitting Smoking is HARD!
antimodernist Wrote:Pieta,
 I have probably quit a dozen times or so in my life. I am at 3 weeks. ADDICTION IS THE DEVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will pray for you. I have to get a job. That will help. I am sort of depressed due to some really bad cicumstnaces in our life.
I want to set a dat to quit with the patches. 
I appreciate it, and DO NOT GO BACK TO THE EVIL STICKS!!! 
ResiduumRevertetur Wrote:Chantix can work wonders, IF you're totally careful about the side effects, which can include some really ugly things like stomach upset (for me, it's awful), bad dreams (I don't like these, either), anger and even suicidal thoughts (for a very small few).
The doctor said that Chantix may work for someone that is not already depressed, but...
The patch had worked for me a few years back, and then I had some stress, and bango!, there I was smoking again. I sometimes hate myself for smoking, and the fact that I have kids as well. However, I do not smoke in ther house like some people that I know.
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:I did 3 packs a day of Marlboro Reds before crushing out my last butt 7 years ago.  http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/apologia/show_single_post?pid=30718314&postcount=22

You might as well throw those patches in the garbage.  Biologically speaking, the nicotine is out of your system after a couple days off tobacco.  After that, it's all in your head.  Don't let your head push your around, you're smarter than to let your brain mess with you.  The statistics say that people who relapse will do it 2 to 3 months after quitting-- I knew this ahead of time and it was like total clockwork for me.  8ish weeks in, I wanted a cigarette more than I wanted anything.  But knowing that was the relapse time, I just laughed at myself for being so typical.

Then I gummed on my car head-rests for a couple minutes to get the leftover smoke.

There's only one way to quit smoking, and that's to quit smoking.  I don't want to be terse about it, but that's really the story.  Cutting back isn't quitting smoking.  Switching to Ultra Lights isn't quitting smoking.  Quitting smoking means you quit smoking.

Really, you're doing it the best way: pick a date in the near future.  Smoke all the cigarettes you can smoke right up until midnight of that day you quit.  At midnight, flush the remaining smokes down the toilet (careful not to clog the bowl).  And never smoke again.

I have a friend on Chantix.  It's plugging along fine for him so far.  I'm kind of a grinder on stuff like that and think that people should chew a stick for the pain.  But that's just me.  Good luck and God bless.  There should be a patron saint for quitting smoking.  St Florian of Lorch maybe?
Thanks WRC.
3 packs of reds! Wholly nicotine overdose!
If I smoke 1 red I get to coughing, and I have been smoking for a long time now.
The biggest problem that I have is that I get up in the middle of the night, and cannot get back to sleep.
I wish I could go to smoker's detox or something. A nice place in the country for a few weeks....okay let me get back to reality here!
I appreciate the information, and I pray that God blesses you!

Gman Wrote:I never had a hard time stopping. I guess I'm lucky but my stomach doesn't entirely agree with tobacco, so I can't smoke that much to begin with. Which averages about 3-5 a day if i have a pack. So smoking 3 packs a day is insanity. I don't know how one could do it.

Anyways, I gave it up for Lent, and I seem to be tempted more now than usual.
I'm in the exact same boat. If I smoke more then 3 smokes a day, I'll be puking at some time. And I'm a very large dude with an iron stomach so I have a tough time understanding why.

Anyway... I have a question for everyone trying to quit. How do you deal with the aggression? I find that I don't really crave smokes, instead when I quit I just start fights with everyone.

Even just laying here I'm dreaming up ways I could instigate a fight with some people I have some problems with. A couple days ago I had to smoke just so I could calm down this aggression. And I'm genuinley worried because I can have quite the temper, plus I'm a pretty physical guy.

I was even at a point where I was doing some readings for an upcoming seminar, and all I could think of was ways to start fights and arguments with the secular-atheists in my sexual ethics class. Well I had my puff, and all of a sudden I could get on with reading without my concentration being disturbed by images of me leaping over my T.A to attack the punk-kid wearing a rosary.

How do you deal with the aggression? Is this normal? Does anyone have any techniques for dealing with these feelings?
Pieta Wrote:
antimodernist Wrote:Pieta,
 I have probably quit a dozen times or so in my life. I am at 3 weeks. ADDICTION IS THE DEVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will pray for you. I have to get a job. That will help. I am sort of depressed due to some really bad cicumstnaces in our life.
I want to set a dat to quit with the patches. 
I appreciate it, and DO NOT GO BACK TO THE EVIL STICKS!!! 

Thanks for the prayers. I will pray for you as well.
Fidelis Wrote:I was even at a point where I was doing some readings for an upcoming seminar, and all I could think of was ways to start fights and arguments with the secular-atheists in my sexual ethics class. Well I had my puff, and all of a sudden I could get on with reading without my concentration being disturbed by images of me leaping over my T.A to attack the punk-kid wearing a rosary.

How do you deal with the aggression? Is this normal? Does anyone have any techniques for dealing with these feelings?

[Image: laff.gif] I know the feeling! Being in a public university and all. I would never take any course here that involved sexuality discussion - I would probably die of an apoplectic fit.

So I'd say that kind of anger is normal - if you're in a secular university (see my recent post on the sleazebags handing out condoms)
My mother prayed the rosary for me. Only prayer works.

I am a smoker right now, and its pretty much a huge stress reliever for me, don't know how well I could handle the stress if I quit right now.
I've heard that the Allen Carr method is very successful in getting smokers to quit for good, and not just for a few months. Another way is hypnotism. My uncle, a lapsed Catholic, smoked like a chimney for 30 years, went to a hypnotist for one session, and he's never had a desire for one since. Although hypnotism isn't allowed for us. I've smoked for years, and haven't been able to permanently quit using the Carr method, cold turkey, patches, and gum. A few months ago I bought an electronic cigarette and I have had zero desire for tobacco cigarettes. Electronic cigarettes haven't been approved by the FDA, but there is no way they are as dangerous as normal tobacco cigarettes. You might want to look into getting one (I bought the dse-901 model which you can get with a starter kit for about $70). Here's a forum dedicated to electronic cigarettes:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

Also, check out youtube for plenty of demonstrations of different models.

I smoked 2 to 2 and one half packs a day for 27 years and at four years clean and sober in AA/NA realized I was still hooked on a drug--nicotine. Since the 12 Steps worked for me with alcohol and other drugs, I decided to try NICOTINE ANONYMOUS!!!! They have meetings in lots of places. Google it. (Actually I use Dogpile search engine) They have a website where you can find meetings close to where you live. This is the way I quit. I now have 26 years clean and sober and 22 years off nicotine. It is hard, but you don't have to do it alone. The 12 steps work. This is the easier softer way. They give you lots of other tips too that work, but it is mostly working the steps around nicotine abuse that does the trick.[Image: wink.gif]