Quitting Smoking is HARD!
incrucetrad Wrote:I smoked 2 to 2 and one half packs a day for 27 years and at four years clean and sober in AA/NA realized I was still hooked on a drug--nicotine. Since the 12 Steps worked for me with alcohol and other drugs, I decided to try NICOTINE ANONYMOUS!!!! They have meetings in lots of places. Google it. (Actually I use Dogpile search engine) They have a website where you can find meetings close to where you live. This is the way I quit. I now have 26 years clean and sober and 22 years off nicotine. It is hard, but you don't have to do it alone. The 12 steps work. This is the easier softer way. They give you lots of other tips too that work, but it is mostly working the steps around nicotine abuse that does the trick.[Image: wink.gif]

I resent it that you imply that all other people who smoke are improperly using nicotine.
Hey, sheep101, if the shoe fits, wear it.
I woke up this morning and decided I was done smoking.  I've smoked a pack a day for nearly 3 years now (I know, not as much as many on here, but its still rough).  I didn't think about it very hard, I just smoked the last cigarette in my pack, and like WRC said, I quit smoking.  The next few days might be rough since I have a couple of hardcore exams, but if I can stay off the nicotine then, I can do it anytime.  Someone should start a thread in the prayer request forum for those quitting smoking.  
WRC's story touched me as well. I haven't smoked for a few weeks. It;s hard.
neel Wrote:I woke up this morning and decided I was done smoking.  I've smoked a pack a day for nearly 3 years now (I know, not as much as many on here, but its still rough).  I didn't think about it very hard, I just smoked the last cigarette in my pack, and like WRC said, I quit smoking.  The next few days might be rough since I have a couple of hardcore exams, but if I can stay off the nicotine then, I can do it anytime.  Someone should start a thread in the prayer request forum for those quitting smoking.  

When I returned to the States after my tour in S. Korea, someone (a smoker, no less) commented on my smoking, and I half-jokingly said that I would quit if they went up to $2.00 a pack (yeah, it's been awhile...).
Wouldn't you know it, 2 days later, the price was increased to, yep $2.00.  When I was confronted about it, I gave them the rest of the pack. 
I think I've done OK, so far.  I've only smoked about 5 cigarettes in all of those years, and occasionally, a cigar or two.
It helped tremendously that I had plenty of other things to occupy my mind, and that I wasn't constantly surrounded by smokers, so the temptation wasn't as strong as it could be.

I wish you all well in your endeavor, and I'll be praying for you.

Roy
My wife and I quit smoking about seven months ago.  It's a little easier if you are quitting with someone--for mutual encouragement and for someone to shame you if you relapse.  (My sister and her husband quit the same way.)  My wife broke her back in August, and that was the impetus for our quitting.  So, I would say, if you really want to quit, hang your quitting on some major life-event.

There's a lot of good advice here.  But I'd be careful about using the Chantix.  It did funny things to my wife's taste buds, and she had some really weird dreams.  But a couple of the dreams were some really frightening ones about Purgatory, which have led her to be a better Catholic.  So, I guess the side effects can have a good side.

Good luck to everyone.

M. L. Hearing
www.goodcatholicwriting.com

I quit except for rare social occasions...now the problem is dip.  I'm at two cans of Grizzly a day, and I'm not sure that's going to change...i'm most committed to not increasing "dose" right now.

I would say the best things you can do for yourself are:

gum.

Energy drinks.

Keeping yourself occupied.

Having a support group (even if the "group" is one person who's already quit.)

Norbert Wrote:I quit except for rare social occasions...now the problem is dip.  I'm at two cans of Grizzly a day, and I'm not sure that's going to change...i'm most committed to not increasing "dose" right now.

I would say the best things you can do for yourself are:

gum.

Energy drinks.

Keeping yourself occupied.

Having a support group (even if the "group" is one person who's already quit.)

Current tobacco users always have the best quitting advice... :rolleyes:

It's like taking parenting advice from people who don't have kids.
[Current tobacco users always have the best quitting advice... :rolleyes:

It's like taking parenting advice from people who don't have kids.
[/QUOTE]
or, better yet - proving how easy it is - my cousin still gets me about the time I leaned back in my chair, lit a cigarette, blew out a furnace worth's of smoke out of both mouth and nose and proclaimed, " Oh, it's no big deal  - I can quit any time I want."

took two years to quit after that, and I can still see the sanctimonious look of amusement and irritation on her face.

[Image: smokin.gif]

libby Wrote: " Oh, it's no big deal  - I can quit any time I want."

I wish I had a dime, for every time I've heard that.