Quitting Smoking is HARD!
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
Norbert Wrote:I quit except for rare social occasions...now the problem is dip.  I'm at two cans of Grizzly a day, and I'm not sure that's going to change...i'm most committed to not increasing "dose" right now.

I would say the best things you can do for yourself are:

gum.

Energy drinks.

Keeping yourself occupied.

Having a support group (even if the "group" is one person who's already quit.)

Current tobacco users always have the best quitting advice... Rolleyes

It's like taking parenting advice from people who don't have kids.

Ouch.  To be fair, it worked for my friend...who wanted to quit more than me.
Once I went to confession to a youn priest. He was very adamant that smoking was a mortal sin. I suppose since it's an addiction, it is. Now I never go to communion because the only thing that relieves stress is smoking. Or am I making too much of his> Or was the priest?
donmar35 Wrote:I suppose since it's an addiction, it is.

If something is a legit addiction it would, rather than heighten culpability, lessen responsibility because addiction messes with free will. Just try to kick the habit.
(04-29-2009, 10:21 PM)donmar35 Wrote: Once I went to confession to a youn priest. He was very adamant that smoking was a mortal sin. I suppose since it's an addiction, it is. Now I never go to communion because the only thing that relieves stress is smoking.
It depends on intent. The force of addiction would I think reduce any sin. If you started something knowing you could be addicted, then that would be more serious. So, do your best not to be a slave to this world. The only thing that relieves stress is not smoking. Do you want to smoke? If not, then try to quit. If you want to smoke, why? There is no great sin in struggling with addictions.

Quote: Or am I making too much of his> Or was the priest?

Mortal sins require more elements than shown. If you aren't giving it your full consent, it cannot be a mortal sin.
(04-29-2009, 10:21 PM)donmar35 Wrote: Once I went to confession to a youn priest. He was very adamant that smoking was a mortal sin. I suppose since it's an addiction, it is. Now I never go to communion because the only thing that relieves stress is smoking. Or am I making too much of his> Or was the priest?

I disagree with Rosarium that there's no consent when you smoke, but where's the grave matter?
I read a rather interesting article which linked smokers' desire to smoke with the death drive Freud (not the most reliable source, I know) talked about. The article went on to explicate several famous advert campaigns, notably the Saatchi & Saatchi ones, which really do have a very dark edge to them, basically reinforcing this desire for "Thanatos" within the smokers' mind. The same sort of system is evident in ads for alcohol too, because fundamentally these companies are targeting heavy drinkers rather than social/special occasions drinkers (who don't spend nearly as much). I'll try and find it, whether I agree with the premise or not, it was a clever idea.
(04-30-2009, 12:57 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote:
(04-29-2009, 10:21 PM)donmar35 Wrote: Once I went to confession to a youn priest. He was very adamant that smoking was a mortal sin. I suppose since it's an addiction, it is. Now I never go to communion because the only thing that relieves stress is smoking. Or am I making too much of his> Or was the priest?

I disagree with Rosarium that there's no consent when you smoke, but where's the grave matter?

Reduced consent. It isn't a "full consent" usually. The grave matter is the wasting of money and the use of dangerous and harmful chemicals (if it were in any other wrapper...)
(04-30-2009, 10:42 AM)Rosarium Wrote:
(04-30-2009, 12:57 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote:

Reduced consent. It isn't a "full consent" usually. The grave matter is the wasting of money and the use of dangerous and harmful chemicals (if it were in any other wrapper...)

Wasting money is not a grave matter.... where did you hear that? The consensus of the church is that tobacco smoking is not a mortal sin popes(well at least one others are rumored to have smoked), and even the most modern catechism implies that it is not a sin in and of itself. Tobacco smoking does not interfere with your ability to make rational decisions like alchohol potentially can and other drugs so there is no grave matter.
At least thats my understanding.
(04-30-2009, 10:40 AM)Melita Wrote: I read a rather interesting article which linked smokers' desire to smoke with the death drive Freud (not the most reliable source, I know) talked about. The article went on to explicate several famous advert campaigns, notably the Saatchi & Saatchi ones, which really do have a very dark edge to them, basically reinforcing this desire for "Thanatos" within the smokers' mind. The same sort of system is evident in ads for alcohol too, because fundamentally these companies are targeting heavy drinkers rather than social/special occasions drinkers (who don't spend nearly as much). I'll try and find it, whether I agree with the premise or not, it was a clever idea.

This reminds me of a brand of cigarettes an old boyfriend of mine used to smoke -- they were called "Black Death" and had a picture of a skeleton in a top hat on the box.