Removing Grease
I'm trying to clean my stove after neglecting it for a few months.  The top cleaned nicely, but now I've got a lot of burnt grease and grime on those metal pans under the burners.  Any tips?
really, really hot water and soap. also degreaser if you have it.
Pull the pans and burners out and let them soak overnight in a sink of soapy water.  Then clean them with some stainless-steel scrubbing pads.  They'll be shiny!
I've heard to soak them in ammonia in a sealed bag overnight. I say toss them and get new ones at Wal-Mart. Maybe that's why I'm broke.
I pour boiling water over them, let them sit for a while, then scrub with baking soda.
Simple Green.  You can use it to degrease firearms as well (but rumor is it ruins the tenifer finish on Glocks, so maybe not use it on your Glock).

Really, don't bother with anything else.  It's cheap, gentle (no gloves needed), completely non-toxic and smells good (unlike 409 which is what my mom used when I was growing up). You can also dilute it to save money if it's not a tough job.  I've washed cars with it.  And it works better on grease than 409, ammonia, vinegar, etc.

ResiduumRevertetur Wrote:I've heard to soak them in ammonia in a sealed bag overnight. I say toss them and get new ones at Wal-Mart. Maybe that's why I'm broke.

When they're really bad, definitely toss them.
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:Pull the pans and burners out and let them soak overnight in a sink of soapy water.  Then clean them with some stainless-steel scrubbing pads.  They'll be shiny!

I must have super-grease.  I soaked them overnight, and it didn't help much.  I also made a run to the store, and bought some "Easy-Off", which is supposedly the high-power grease remover...Its only taken off half the stains.  Maybe I need repetitive cleanings.

Perhaps I should just toss them.  Wonder if my landlord would mind?
MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote:Perhaps I should just toss them.  Wonder if my landlord would mind?

I've tossed them when renting - but I replaced them with new ones.  Landlords shouldn't care; they just want clean burners.

In the future, you can try to cover them with aluminum foil when you move in.  Then, just replace the foil every so often.

QuisUtDeus Wrote:Simple Green.  You can use it to degrease firearms as well (but rumor is it ruins the tenifer finish on Glocks, so maybe not use it on your Glock).

Makes an M16 inspection ready, when used with really hot water.  As for the Glocks, mine just get the really hot water.  The AKs don't even get that.