Sylvia Browne
I read vox's original post to my mom,  she then told me  she had two  sylvia brown books that she was waiting to read, but after hearing the post she was less inclined to read them, I told her there was better books she could read  but I didn't have a title to offer her. any suggestions? She usually only reads  Romance novels ::)  If anyone can suggest a good novel or a story that offers spiritual advice that would be interesting and accessible it would be helpful.
thanx. 
Unless I am mistaken, she does promote heresy of the Spiritualist Church variety, with a distorted view of the afterlife, a rejection of the Trinity, and a contorted cosmology.  That said, for all her involvement with the occult, I am inclined to think she is just a well-publicized charlatan and not a sorcerer or necromancer.
I once received a phone call from some telemarketer asking if I was interested in a free psychic reading.

I told her, "If you were any good you'd already know the answer." and hung up.
Good answer. I must say, I would be tempted to hear what they actually said. My sister and her friend were on a boardwalk and my sister's friend had her fortune read, but my sister stayed outside, refusing to go in. They both laughed as the lady made some prediction that was laready proven false.
How anyone can believe psychics after something like September 11th is a mystery to me.  I'd use 9/11 as a shot against anyone who tried to argue (my mom, for example,) that these people are in the same zip code as legit.  A gift of Prophecy from God wouldn't be usable "on-demand" like this and for often silly things.  "Oh, the cosmos didn't see fit to tell them about 9/11."  "Riiiiight...the cosmos felt OK telling someone who to marry, but not to potentially save thousands of lives.....the cosmos are a b*****d, then."
(04-23-2009, 12:57 AM)JesusFreak84 Wrote: How anyone can believe psychics after something like September 11th is a mystery to me.  I'd use 9/11 as a shot against anyone who tried to argue (my mom, for example,) that these people are in the same zip code as legit.  A gift of Prophecy from God wouldn't be usable "on-demand" like this and for often silly things.  "Oh, the cosmos didn't see fit to tell them about 9/11."  "Riiiiight...the cosmos felt OK telling someone who to marry, but not to potentially save thousands of lives.....the cosmos are a b*****d, then."

Most people who have psychic impressions, dreams, visions, or whatever, aren't  "professional 'psychics'" who claim to turn powers on or off at will, use their alleged gifts for $200/hour, or make appearances on magic shows. In spite of the existence of the obviously  fake (and nasty) Sylvia Brownes of the world, if I had an honest, straight-up, nothing-to-gain-by-lying old Aunt who consistently and accurately had the occasional "insight," I'd listen to her if she begged me, "Please, please, don't get on that plane!"

To my knowledge, lots of people we'd never hear of if it weren't for Google at least claimed to have had impressions about 911. They just tend not to think of themselves "as psychics," aren't out to dupe the world or make money off of claimed "paranormal" gifts, and don't have access to the media. But that doesn't make their (possibly) psychic impressions less (possibly) psychic. And people like that don't claim to be able to turn such awareness on or off so won't set themselves up "as psychics" or claim to know all (as in "If you're psychic, why don't you tell me the winning lottery numbers?"). They just claim to know what they do know when they know it.
Who hasn't had a prescient dream now and then, or who doesn't know someone reliable who has? There are many accounts of such things throughout the history and literature of all peoples, especially regarding saints but also ordinary people and leaders, though recently we have taken to dismissing these things as mere fictions. Anything that does not mesh with philosophical materialism is rejected not just from the physical sciences but also from the humanities now.

Such insight is not the product of ordinary intelligence and must come from God, perhaps mediated by an angel. Alternatively, demons (although lacking prescience) are quite good at guesswork and may from time to time give messages and intuitions that seem prescient, with the aim of drawing men away from God and into empty superstition or occultism.
(03-11-2009, 05:57 AM)incrucetrad Wrote: Also, FYI, it is a spiritual work of mercy to instruct the ignorant. Another spiritual work of mercy is to admonish the sinner. The Spiritual Works of Mercy are listed in the catechism too. Look it up.[Image: fish.gif]

I stand admonished.  ;D