Modesty back in fashion as economy worsens?
I think I'd have gone a different direction than USA Today did.  Rather than manufacturers needing to broaden their client base, I think we're seeing a real shift in taste.  Fashion, like all things, acts and reacts to its own extremes.

Perhaps is it the case that, as the late Archbishop_10k used to say, "Modest is hot."

http://www.americanpapist.com/2009/03/mo...onomy.html

Quote:Modesty back in fashion as economy worsens?
[Image: _modestyx-large.jpg]So claims one USA Today reporter:
Quote:Modesty in young women's clothing is getting a boost from the dismal economy.
When consumer spending was in overdrive, retailers could sell to the masses and ignore the more muted voices asking for, say, a decent supply of sleeved shirts or prom dresses that show more fabric than skin.
Now, however, it's the rare retailer who's willing to take the chance of turning off any possible customer. Luxury-store clerks can no longer afford to look down at scruffy shoppers, and store owners of every sort are recognizing the one-size-fits-all approach to retail buying no longer works.
Whether it's more of a fiscal or moral shift, understated girls' clothing may indeed be making a comeback.
Even flashy Chanel designer Karl Lagerfeld declared "bling is over" and noted the economy is prompting a "new modesty," in an interview with the International Herald Tribune this year.
Retail consultant Ken Nisch says the trend is more moderation than modesty, but the effect may be the same. (USA Today)
I found it interesting how the reporter described the founding of Pure Fashion (a modesty-promoting organization), which is actually sponsored by Regnum Christi (underlining mine):
Quote:Pure Fashion has about 700 members who work as models at spring teen fashion shows, which attract about 11,000 people. The group has affiliates in 10 countries, and is signing new groups on its website, PureFashion.com.

Pure Fashion was an offshoot of a Catholic missionary organization, but Sharman believes its message resonates from Muslims to Orthodox Jews to parents who simply believe it shouldn't be hard to find shorts that completely cover the rear end.
Missionary to the fashionistas, apparently. There's plenty of hearts to convert:
Quote:"Everybody's seeing their bottom lines shrinking, so they want to sell to those who wear modest clothing, as well as those who want to wear it in a more risqué manner," says Hoffmann. "And that's fine with us."
I'm sure it is.
Hmm, interesting.

The one thing I'm envious of northerners is not the snow, but the fact that you can wear more layers of clothes without people constantly asking you if you're hot underneath all of that. Well, of course I'm hot.

What about those sleeveless shirts Lady Obama keeps wearing?  The media keeps talking about it and her great arms it makes me sick.
The thing is, the guidelines offered by PureFashion are nowhere near good enough for a lot of traddies: http://www.purefashion.com/modesty

Funny, I just watched the Chanel show online Spring collection flirted with the concept of purity - not entirely in the Christian sense of purity, but there are similarities.

I think the Harlequin King would appreciate it as Lagerfeld (the Chanel designer and legend in his own right) has had a long time love affair with 18th century French culture. I think these chivalrous looks from the upcoming F/W 09 collections better make their way from runways onto the streets!

[Image: a5l3yg.jpg]

[Image: karen_elson_chanelfw09.jpg]

[Image: iy1zlj.jpg]
Quite cool, but what's with the ladies' weird eye makeup?

Erin... we all know who you mean ;) I think the PureFashion guidelines are actually quite good without going to extremes.
Collections on the runway are often designed around the blatant expression of a concept, and have a very different translation when on the streets. I do think that white liner tends to open up the eyes, though.

A look for the daring, perhaps [Image: rockonsmiley.gif]
Quote:
What about those sleeveless shirts Lady Obama keeps wearing?  The media keeps talking about it and her great arms it makes me sick.

Lol. I know just what you mean. I don't think she looks attractive in those shirts at all. She's trying so hard to be Jackie Kennedy its almost pathetic except the media keep eating it up. I also don't see what's so great about her arms. They're arms. They look like any other arms.
AgnusDei1989 Wrote:Quite cool, but what's with the ladies' weird eye makeup?

It's like stage makeup, it has to be seen from far away.

Something that struck me as strange about the PureFashion guidelines was that sleeveless is never okay, but skirts "4 fingers" above the knee are okay. 
ErinIsNice Wrote:Something that struck me as strange about the PureFashion guidelines was that sleeveless is never okay, but skirts "4 fingers" above the knee are okay. 

That's because, as you well know, it's not a objective appraisal of modesty, but one person's (or one group's) version of modesty that they want to foist on other people.  Personally, I'm a leg man rather than an arm man, so bare arms don't bother me, but short skirts do.  Modest skirts to me should be 4 fingers below the knee.  At least.  But, that's my version of modesty based on my leg thing.

I like the Lagerfield designs, but the men's and women's clothes look too much alike.  I'd wear the men's clothes pictured above if the frilly cuffs were gone, but I'd stick with the longer jacket.  And, black is always in fashion.