Modesty back in fashion as economy worsens?
ErinIsNice Wrote:Something that struck me as strange about the PureFashion guidelines was that sleeveless is never okay, but skirts "4 fingers" above the knee are okay. 
I actually didn't catch that. That is pretty weird. I wouldn't feel comfortable, let alone modest in something that short, though I have been known to wear sleeveless dresses, albeit not often...

Harlequin, tell me what's attractive about looking like a corpse!
AgnusDei1989 Wrote:Harlequin, tell me what's attractive about looking like a corpse!

Pale skin and dark clothes. Mmmmmm, yes.

[Image: 11485535751098112661_areyouGoth%5B1%5D.jpg]

[Image: 7ac-reno-1.jpg]
I want to run up to her and pinch her cheeks really hard and put some color in her face [Image: laff.gif]
Black does NOT look good on everyone. It goes well with every color of hair, true, but if you have the wrong skin tone you'll come off looking as if you just got out of the hospital. That's attractive to goth people, but not those of us who are no longer in school. Personally I'd like to dress like a medieval book of hours, colorwise.

I would never wear a skirt four fingers above the knee, but I sometimes wear sundresses and sleeveless blouses in very warm weather (with a light cardigan for Mass). Am I the only one who thinks that off-the-shoulder and spaghetti-strap dresses are fine for prom and other dressy evening occasions?

Satori Wrote:I would never wear a skirt four fingers above the knee, but I sometimes wear sundresses and sleeveless blouses in very warm weather (with a light cardigan for Mass). Am I the only one who thinks that off-the-shoulder and spaghetti-strap dresses are fine for prom and other dressy evening occasions?

Personally, I think necklines are more important than sleeves.  So no I don't have a problem with spaghetti straps, etc, in themselves.

I will also wear skirts that are just above the knee, but only with leggings, and not to Mass (just for casual everyday).
I must have really thin fingers because 4 fingers above the knee doesn't seem that short to me. On the other hand, I feel extemely uncomfortable in sleeveless or spaghetti straps, even when just sitting around at home, so I don't wear them. I wonder how much modesty is about more about comfort levels. (When I say "comfort levels" I mean more mentally than physically. How exposed one feels.)
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
AgnusDei1989 Wrote:Harlequin, tell me what's attractive about looking like a corpse!

Pale skin and dark clothes. Mmmmmm, yes.

Not everything in pale skin and dark clothes is "mmmm, yes".  Take Marylin for example...

[Image: marylin_manson_1.jpg]
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:Pale skin and dark clothes. Mmmmmm, yes.

Especially when they say something in French:

[Image: gomez-morticia.jpg]

Neat...Sweet...Petite

spera Wrote:I remember learning basic fashion history in high-school, and supposedly hemlines are dictated by the economy. During the excesses of the 20s, 80s and early 00's minis were everywhere, however during the recessions hemlines were low. Perhaps people want to keep their goods to themselves when they are feeling poor?

I do wonder if this corresponds to less sexual promiscuity in austere times. Sex might be considered in our society a sort of consumption, which is valued for its own sake as a determiner of worth and status. When the drumbeat of "Consume!" is brought to a halt, a sexual frugality might emerge.

There is a certain moral danger in poverty, which many perhaps do not understand. I can't remember the Socratic dialogue I'm reaching for, but Plato has Socrates speak with an old man in the early portion, and the man realizes that his rectitude would have been much more difficult to realize in desperate circumstances. Who can deny that the poor are tempted in manifold ways? A hungry boy might steal a loaf of bread he needs, and so much easier it will be to steal a cigarette lighter, some liquor, things which are inexcusable by any stretch of the imagination! Likewise, the extreme despair of poverty below sufficiency leads some to turn to sinful comforts as a means of escape.

The poor are also subject to a fetishism of wealth. Their ills, their troubles, are all in danger of being seen as stemming from a lack of money. Everything becomes about money when there never seems to be enough. One can never escape it, the constant tabulating and calculating, clipping for coupons, finding creative uses for the cheapest things at the store. The problem is money, the solution, they think, is in money. Any inadequacy is money. Any possible progress is money. Escape is money.

We are so spiritually impoverished as a nation, I do not know whether material poverty will not be extremely harmful. Travel to those parts of American cities that are already in perpetual "recession." The sin is there, it's in the homeless man sleeping at the bus stop, quivering in his crack-dream ecstasy. It's in the pimp, the murder, the bitter smell of cannabis drifting down from the apartments.
QuisUtDeus Wrote:Not everything in pale skin and dark clothes is "mmmm, yes".  Take Marylin for example...

[Image: marylin_manson_1.jpg]

You have a point there.