Awww man! Padre Pio bread...
Has anyone else been given Padre Pio bread as part of a novena? I was asked by a sweet, but unfortunately very gullible co-worker if I wanted to be part of a Padre Pio novena that involves eating some bread. I was like, sure I'm down with that. I did ask her that I had never heard of such a novena and asked her where it originated..."From the Vatican".

So today I get the small loaf and a wooden spoon, can only be wooden spoon and I 'can't refuse once it's been given' and now I'm like whooooaaaaa. What is all this? And now I have to find three people to give it to when I'm done?

This is the only thing I've found on the internet regarding it, and it basically confirms my suspicions.

I honestly just want to toss it all, I hate this kind of thing. It reduces the Church as well as St Padre Pio, but I don't want to be rude., My poor  well meaning co-worker would be crushed. But I think I'm going to have to tell her the truth.

Anyone else been given this before?

Sounds like someone's co-opted St. Pio for renaming heretical Amish friendship bread.

Toss it.  It's just chain-bread.
I'm likely going to toss it, but my temptation is what to tell my poor friend. She obviously spent some time on it, plus she is no doubt going to feel foolish. I'd just rather not go through with that and tell her it was yummy.

Sigh.

BeateMariae Wrote:I'm likely going to toss it, but my temptation is what to tell my poor friend. She obviously spent some time on it, plus she is no doubt going to feel foolish. I'd just rather not go through with that and tell her it was yummy.

Sigh.

I'd just say that you didn't get to it in time, but thanks for the thought.
Is this that thing you do where you use part of someone else's dough in your batch of bread? It doesn't seem like a bad thing to do if you like baking.
If it's the old Amish Friendship Bread (which may have nothing to do with the Amish), it's tasty, even if it is "chain-bread" as WRC said.
The hardest part is finding three people who will take a starter from you, because if they know they'll each have to find three people, they won't want to do it. 

I think I'd mix it up and enjoy it, but not worry about passing it on, unless of course you know someone who might like it.  The woman who gave it to you really shouldn't be asking if you passed it on but have an answer ready if she does!

I think I would feed it to the birdies. [Image: pigeons.gif]
Well, I hope you didn't toss it. My son loved that bread, but as yet I haven't recreated it. Some here said that the Amish bread is the same deal? What kind of starter do you use to make it?

If nothing else, it'll help more people to learn the name, "Padre Pio". Many neo-Catholics don't even know he exists, and what a pity that is.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton