What should I wear for my own funeral?
ONeill Wrote:I want to be buried in my boots so to speak :) I wear all black now, and when asked why, I say I'm going to a funeral. Depending on the person, I may get a blanket "I'm sorry" and a question about whose funeral I'm going to and I say "my own, and I want to be prepared". That is not really why I wear all black, but it is more interesting than the real reason. 
I too do not like wrist watches and want a pocket watch (I used to have one, and I can't find one now to buy. Anyone who knows a good place to get them, cheap and best, let me know please). I don't think wrist watches are effeminate, just annoying.

I've seen some decent ones at Target.  You don't want the "novelty" kind because they are just trash.  Swiss Army makes some, but they can be pricey.

I'd probably try for a "Swiss Army" or other reliable name brand used on eBay.  You can probably get a decent, but not luxurious, one for about $100 or less.

I looked at Target but I couldn't find any. I'll look on their site.
I just want a simple functional watch. My $15 cell phone served that purpose (but I've recently lost it...it didn't have a number, but it was quite useful for things other than talking) and I wish watches were that functional and cheap.
ONeill Wrote:I looked at Target but I couldn't find any. I'll look on their site.
I just want a simple functional watch. My $15 cell phone served that purpose (but I've recently lost it...it didn't have a number, but it was quite useful for things other than talking) and I wish watches were that functional and cheap.

Try the Gentleman's Emporium's section on pocket watches. There are pocket watches as cheap as $25. I got mine from there; or rather, I was given one from there as a gift.

PaxVobiscum Wrote:BTW, HK, you once wrote about liking pocket watches.  My husband's grandfather considered wristwatches to be effeminate and really objected to his sons wearing them.  "Men wear pocket watches" was his view.

Indeed!

Though I suppose from a certain point of view, one could go even further back than pocket watches and consider them to be unmanly, compared to, say, just using an internal clock. Did you know that in the 1500's, the first type of portable watch was basically a big clock that you'd hang around the neck? I still need to find a picture of one, though.

I wear a pocketwatch, mostly for the steampunk factor, but I also like modern technology. I'm considering getting an iPhone, but I'm not sure exactly how to make it look like a Rococo snuffbox. If I could, I'd program a touch-based spinning rotary dial on the iPhone's screen, just because it would be awesome.

[Image: 2087440257_f4d329023c.jpg?v=0]

Thanks HK. I'm thinking of this one: http://www.historicalemporium.com/store/001981.php

The_Harlequin_King Wrote:If I could, I'd program a touch-based spinning rotary dial on the iPhone's screen, just because it would be awesome.

The G1 has a rotary-dial app so the iPhone probably does too.
piabee Wrote:
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:If I could, I'd program a touch-based spinning rotary dial on the iPhone's screen, just because it would be awesome.

The G1 has a rotary-dial app so the iPhone probably does too.

And now that I've bothered to Google it, I can see that it's already been done. It's an app called iDial.

[Image: iphone-dial-retro.jpg]

It just needs to have a more decorative skin. This one above is rather ugly and modern.
Here you go HK: http://www.x-tremegeek.com/templates/Sea...ctID=13490
[Image: P13490A.jpg]
QuisUtDeus Wrote:Having donated all of your fantastic wardrobe to charity so that the common man can dress as tastefully as the King, you make a final penitential statement and set an example for your people: sackcloth and ashes, black pine box.

My thought exactly.....many a Queen Turned sainted Nun and King turned Saint gave strict instructions not to show any pomposity in the funeral dressings. they desired a paupers grave in rememberence of the spiritual poverty
The Harlequin King Wrote:Did you know that in the 1500's, the first type of portable watch was basically a big clock that you'd hang around the neck? I still need to find a picture of one, though.

Shazam!

[Image: flavorflav.jpg]

Or perhaps I should have said, "yeeeeeeaaaaaah booooy!"
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
DarkKnight Wrote:Tuxedo, feathered hat and satin cape. Something simple, yet understated.

Fourth degree Knight of Columbus? Which reminds me, I need to get my 4th degree, but I stopped being especially active in the order when I realized I was the only one in my council without grey hair. Well, not counting prosthetic hair.

I know what you mean. BTW, I'm the only one in the Assembly that knows how to use a sword, "When I hold it in my left hand, you'll know I mean business."