Is it wrong to pray for good fortune?
Is it wrong to pray for good health and happiness in our lives?  Can we pray that our lives only have joy and as little suffering as possible?  I want good fortune in my life.  Yes, I know suffering must come from time to time for us all.  However can I pray to experience as little of it as possible?

Bob
Pray for anything you want.. as long as you end it with "Thy Will be done."

- Lisa
God awarded Abraham and Job with amterial wealth. Our Lord also said, "First seek ye the Kingdom of God and all things shall be added unto you."
As long as you accept whatever is given as being the best for you. Seek the kingdom of God first, and you will get what you need.
Luke 12:31 Wrote:But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you.
Oh, so it is okay to pray for these things if we are members of the Kingdom?  I want a good life here on Earth and yet still go to Heaven when I die.  If I become rich and even mildly successful then, If I give some money to the Church, will God bless me in this life more abundantly?

A priest I once heard said that we are living in the Kingdom right now by being a member of the Church.  I'm sure that there are some issues that I could work on to perfect my life in the kingdom but, as a whole, by virtue of my being Catholic, does this mean that I have begun to posses the Kingdom?

Bob
It's fine to do so as long as your request is contingent on it being conducive to your salvation--because God will send us what is ultimately best for us--it may be temporal health, etc. but it may be suffering that is best for us. Our Lord gave us the perfect example in the garden of Gethsemane: He asked for the chalice of sufferng to be taken away, but ultimately He resigned Himself to the will of His Father.

This is why St. Alphonsus Liguori says the following:

"If we decide to ask for health, let us do so at least always resigned and with the proviso that our bodily health may be conducive to the health of our soul. Otherwise our prayer will be defective and will remain unheard because our Lord does not answer prayers made without resignation to his holy will."

God does not promise us material wealth in this life. If we are so blessed, then we are commanded to share it with the poor. If we are not so blessed, then we are probably blessed in other ways. There is always work to do in God's kingdom, whether we are rich or poor, in good health or poor health. Acceptance of God's Will is the key to all happiness.  There is nothing wrong with asking God to bless us with physical health and material wealth. But remember, the perfect prayer is the prayer Jesus taught us --The Our Father. In it we pray for only what we need (our daily bread) and for God's kingdom to come and His Will to be done (on earth as it is in heaven). You can't improve on that.  - Lisa
I'm sorry Lisa, but I really take umbrage with this new catholic idea that "material wealth" is a blessing. I see it all the time on the net and it drives me nuts. The fact our Lord did not come as a rich man must say something. He rejected the temptation of wealth yet there were times when he was so poor he had to perform a miracle just to pay his taxes (eg. the coin in the fish's mouth). There is no such thing as a vow of affluence; and it is the poor, not the rich who are blessed. There is a deeply spiritual reason for all this.
NathanSoc: Why be offended? Are you God?
All given to us is a blessing to be used according to God's will. If God gives us riches, it is a blessing is it not? All things are possible with God, and even a rich man may be saved. I do not think God will allow someone to be rich by good means if they did not have the grace to use their riches wisely.
It is not a "new Catholic" idea; it is a fact. If God gives us something, it is a blessing and should be used appropriately. If we are given wealth, health, a spouse, children, etc, we are tasked to comply with God's will and give thanks for what is given.
When you are suffering, remember to offer it up for the poor souls in Purgatory.  It helps me to make use of my suffering that way.  There is also a pamphlet that a friend gave me years ago which has been very helpful to me.  I re-read it periodically because he covers the topic of suffering so well.

I should point out that neither the priest who wrote this nor I mean "Just suck it up" or that you should try to "tough it out" without medical help when you need it.  God has made antibiotics, painkillers, tranquilizers, and antidepressants available today so that we don't have to suffer beyond our physical or psychological tolerance.  But some suffering is good for us and Fr. O'Sullivan explains how very well. 

NOTE:  Due to the length, I moved the pamphlet contents to be the opening post of a thread "How to Deal with Suffering" in this forum.