Is it wrong to pray for good fortune?

Oneill:- you are speaking nonsense.
NathanSoc Wrote:I'm sorry Lisa, but I really take umbrage with this new catholic idea that "material wealth" is a blessing. I see it all the time on the net and it drives me nuts. The fact our Lord did not come as a rich man must say something. He rejected the temptation of wealth yet there were times when he was so poor he had to perform a miracle just to pay his taxes (eg. the coin in the fish's mouth). There is no such thing as a vow of affluence; and it is the poor, not the rich who are blessed. There is a deeply spiritual reason for all this.

I don't know why you are taking umbrage with what Lisa said.  She is hardly advocating the "Prosperity Gospel" that some Protestants do. 

Jesus told the rich man to sell everything he had and give the money to the poor.  Unless you've done that yourself and are dependent on alms, I don't understand why you're coming down on Lisa and O'Neill for saying that material wealth can be a blessing used for good.  They didn't say poverty could not be a blessing.  Lisa also emphasized the importance of ending prayers with "Thy will be done."

Thanks, PaxVobiscum. I think Lisa is able to speak for herself.

PaxVobiscum Wrote:
NathanSoc Wrote:I'm sorry Lisa, but I really take umbrage with this new catholic idea that "material wealth" is a blessing. I see it all the time on the net and it drives me nuts. The fact our Lord did not come as a rich man must say something. He rejected the temptation of wealth yet there were times when he was so poor he had to perform a miracle just to pay his taxes (eg. the coin in the fish's mouth). There is no such thing as a vow of affluence; and it is the poor, not the rich who are blessed. There is a deeply spiritual reason for all this.

I don't know why you are taking umbrage with what Lisa said.  She is hardly advocating the "Prosperity Gospel" that some Protestants do. 

Jesus told the rich man to sell everything he had and give the money to the poor.  Unless you've done that yourself and are dependent on alms, I don't understand why you're coming down on Lisa and O'Neill for saying that material wealth can be a blessing used for good.  They didn't say poverty could not be a blessing.  Lisa also emphasized the importance of ending prayers with "Thy will be done."

Agreed.

NathanSoc, you're jumping to the wrong conclusion.
Oh really? Is that a fact? And what wrong conclusion is that then? That the poor are closer to God's heart than the rich? That it is easier for a poor man to get to heaven than a rich man - regardless of how good that rich man may be? So wealth is a real blessing is it?

Just because you agree with something, doesn't necessarily make it true.

NathanSoc Wrote:I'm sorry Lisa, but I really take umbrage with this new catholic idea that "material wealth" is a blessing.

Nathan, I'm sorry you got the impression that I supported such a thing. On the contrary, "blessed are you poor. If thou will be perfect, sell everything you have and give it to the poor." I know well the benefits and blessings of living "day-to-day."
My advice to Robb was to completely trust in the Lord and seek His Will in all things.

- Lisa

I'm not having a go at you personally Lisa. Just venting.

I know that wealth is useful for all sorts of reasons but real blessings, the ones sent from heaven, I believe are deeper and more meaningful than anything money can buy.

NathanSoc Wrote:I'm not having a go at you personally Lisa. Just venting.

I know that wealth is useful for all sorts of reasons but real blessings, the ones sent from heaven, I believe are deeper and more meaningful than anything money can buy.

I agree 100%.
NathanSoc, you personally insulted me (and probably others). Any particular reason?
If you wanted clarification of what I said, ask for it instead of insulting me. 
This is also a forum, it is dynamic and social. Lisa can speak for herself, but if you wanted a one to one conversation, use the PM system. Indicating agreement or support with someone is perfectly acceptable on the forum, especially people personally attacked.

ONeill Wrote:NathanSoc, you personally insulted me (and probably others). Any particular reason?

Wait, where was the insult? I thought I was paying attention to this thread, was the insult deleted? You don't mean the 'nonsense' comment do you? Is that an insult?

I think I missed something...