Is it wrong to pray for good fortune?
Yes...it was. 
Is it from God though? Does God have to hand it to me directly to be the source? I'm not saying riches come from first class miracles you know ;)
I know all good things in our lives come from God. I guess what I am opposed to is the way some are lead to think that one can treat God like some room service waiter in a hotel. If you're hungry, call room service. That is their prayer.

Personally, I much prefer to hear that famous desktop calendar prayer:

God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference

rather than

O Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz. All my friends drive Porsches, I must make amends.
I agree; I don't normally pray for more than my daily bread (for physical things). 
Praying for riches may be a bit out of place (seek the Kingdom of God first); receiving riches isn't.
Allow me to join in this discussion from a personal perspective of wealth and health.

Looking back through the years I have realized that most of the time I was shunning the will of God unconsciously while rationalsing about "doing His will". By that I mean, how often I had 'squandered' His provisions of material wellbeing with the false assumption that He would provide again and again. I would call this the 'sin of presumption'. If He provides for you now it is because of your needs also for the future. I think we should be thankful for the abundance that is now without the excess that is harmful for our salvation. Knowing what is enough and what is excess, now and for the future, is also a part of seeking God's will.