Any St. Patty's Parties and goings on?
I got so drunk this weekend that I passed out and had to be carried to bed...Does that count! :)
Flummery is sort of like a parfait: you whip the cream, mix it with assorted berries, and add the mix of toasted oats, nuts(I like almonds), whisky and honey. It's yummy and a big favorite with the kids! [Image: gimmefood.gif]
I was going to try and corn some beef and drink some beer, but I did not think about starting the "corning" process 3 weeks ago, and I gave up beer for Lent.  I think I might get some corned beef at the store and boil some potatoes, cabbage and carrots, and watch my little kiddies try and figure out what their father is serving them.
libby Wrote:
frerejacques Wrote:I've got a bag of rubber snakes and I'm going to hide them around the house.  My little one will "drive them out" and then we'll have cake.  

I am going to copy you.

I'm back from the store and in a fit of American excess it occurred to me that gummi worms might be a fun substitute for snakes if somebody wants to make a cake with a St Patrick doll driving them off of a green Ireland-shaped cake.  I'm keeping it simple, though and we're going for a whole snake cake with a fruit leather forked tongue.
A quick trip home, got me some steaks, so I'll be grilling those, along with some Guinness for refreshment.  Perhaps I'll have some 'taters, too.

There's only so much you can prepare on the road.  Quick, what's some good trad Irish food to make with steaks?  And Guinness?
Texican Wrote:A quick trip home, got me some steaks, so I'll be grilling those, along with some Guinness for refreshment.  Perhaps I'll have some 'taters, too.

There's only so much you can prepare on the road.  Quick, what's some good trad Irish food to make with steaks?  And Guinness?

Most "real" Irish people I know grill their steaks and mash, roast, or boil the potatoes.  Good gravy is the key. 

If that's too boring you can make meat pie - not everyone has it with mince. The Irish side of the family does it like this: Get some stew beef or whatever you fancy, add salt and pepper, coat it with flour, and put it into a skillet in which you've already browned some onions.  Let it get a little browny/sticky and add some gravy or water w/worchestershire and let it simmer.  Don't cook it too much because you're still baking it in the pie.  Once you have a beefy gravy with chunks of meat, let it cool.  Put it into a pie shell and bake it according to the instructions of your pie crust recipe.  Serve it with a green vegetable and mashed potato.
Texican Wrote:A quick trip home, got me some steaks, so I'll be grilling those, along with some Guinness for refreshment.  Perhaps I'll have some 'taters, too.

Guiness....that's a given, I suppose.

But, as I'm thinking along the lines of Frerejaques, I think perhaps you should put some gummy worms ( snakes) in your beer for that authentic St. Patrick's feel.

Plus, it should have the added effect of making you turn green.

Thus, even more Saint Patrick's Day - ie.

no?
libby Wrote:Guiness....that's a given, I suppose.

But, as I'm thinking along the lines of Frerejaques, I think perhaps you should put some gummy worms ( snakes) in your beer for that authentic St. Patrick's feel.

no?
LOL, I'm turning green, just thinking about it...
[Image: puke.gif]

frerejacques Wrote:Most "real" Irish people I know grill their steaks and mash, roast, or boil the potatoes.  Good gravy is the key. 

If that's too boring you can make meat pie - not everyone has it with mince. The Irish side of the family does it like this: Get some stew beef or whatever you fancy, add salt and pepper, coat it with flour, and put it into a skillet in which you've already browned some onions.  Let it get a little browny/sticky and add some gravy or water w/worchestershire and let it simmer.  Don't cook it too much because you're still baking it in the pie.  Once you have a beefy gravy with chunks of meat, let it cool.  Put it into a pie shell and bake it according to the instructions of your pie crust recipe.  Serve it with a green vegetable and mashed potato.
Well, although I'm not "really" Irish, I guess I'll roast the potatoes, instead of the typical Southern "fried 'taters".  Would roasted sweet potatoes do?  I am a Texican, after all...

My green vegetables will probably be artichokes and aparagus (asparago a la plancha).  I could take the Southern route, and make some greenbeans.
Texican Wrote:
libby Wrote:Guiness....that's a given, I suppose.

no?
LOL, I'm turning green, just thinking about it...
[Image: puke.gif]

works every time.... Happy St. Patrick's Day.

[Image: beer2.gif]