Any St. Patty's Parties and goings on?
Texican Wrote:
frerejacques Wrote:Most "real" Irish people I know grill their steaks and mash, roast, or boil the potatoes.  Good gravy is the key. 

If that's too boring you can make meat pie - not everyone has it with mince. The Irish side of the family does it like this: Get some stew beef or whatever you fancy, add salt and pepper, coat it with flour, and put it into a skillet in which you've already browned some onions.  Let it get a little browny/sticky and add some gravy or water w/worchestershire and let it simmer.  Don't cook it too much because you're still baking it in the pie.  Once you have a beefy gravy with chunks of meat, let it cool.  Put it into a pie shell and bake it according to the instructions of your pie crust recipe.  Serve it with a green vegetable and mashed potato.
Well, although I'm not "really" Irish, I guess I'll roast the potatoes, instead of the typical Southern "fried 'taters".  Would roasted sweet potatoes do?  I am a Texican, after all...

It sure would be healthier! 

Well, although I'm not "really" Irish, I guess I'll roast the potatoes, instead of the typical Southern "fried 'taters".  Would roasted sweet potatoes do?  I am a Texican, after all...[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
I could always add some green food coloring to them... 

On second thought, maybe not.
libby Wrote:[
works every time.... Happy St. Patrick's Day.

[Image: beer2.gif]

Gracies!  Feliz dia!
Texican Wrote:
libby Wrote:[
works every time.... Happy St. Patrick's Day.

[Image: beer2.gif]

Gracies!  Feliz dia!

Gracias!

Feliz Dia de San Patricio, all y'all! 
piabee Wrote:
Jacafamala Wrote:But my mother taught me how to fix it; how you take it from there makes a big difference in the end result. She taught me to boil it all day, then bake it with mustard and apricot jelly all slathered over the tops of the corned beef....until the top gets a little crisp.

That sounds delicious. Does it come out similar to the crusty sauce on meat loaf? My mom just serves the corned beef after boiling it (also good). I've been eating so much meat at dinner since this is my first year fasting. We had a St. Paddy's day preview last week but I'm ready for the real thing! [Image: gimmefood.gif]
How do you do the top of the meatloaf? My mother taught me to slather it with ketchup, which my husband doesn't care for. So now I usually do two and put bacon strips on one--for him. His father taught me to put hard boiled eggs and pickles inside the meatloaf, comes out great like that.

The top on the corned beef comes out spicy sweet and sticky.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Texican Wrote:
frerejacques Wrote:
Well, although I'm not "really" Irish, I guess I'll roast the potatoes, instead of the typical Southern "fried 'taters".  Would roasted sweet potatoes do?  I am a Texican, after all...

[/QUOTE]
I could always add some green food coloring to them... 

On second thought, maybe not.
[/QUOTE]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacafamala:
The children always insist I color the milk green.

Snakes...........oh, what an idea!!! Very cute. I have to go back to the store for green candy. One of the kids made a Leprechaun trap one year, so I had to put the candy in it. They never forgot, so now I've got to put the candy in the trap every year.

Anyone watching the NYC parade? If that lady with the phony lilt laugh doesn't knock it off, I'm going to call the network. "Hahaha...HA!" [Image: eyes.gif]
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
My plans are corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, soda bread, and a good buzz from my Murphy's.